final year for towncar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at the local ford dealer, they told me this was it's last year.

Anyone else hear this.

frown.gif

15.gif

Being that it's built on the same chassis as the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis - which are getting ready to go - seems true to me. They were really nice RWD cars. While, in my opinion, the Cadillac DTS was the better car (more power and better looks) - it is FWD which is a minus to many folks.

The Panther Platform is in production until at least 2011. Production of the Town Car has only recently been moved to the St. Thomas Assembly Plant in Canada after some retooling, etc. I beleive the CVPI is staying in production until 2011 too: CVPI to be made through 2011

I read it in Motor Trend, they're retiring the line.
Notice the new cop cars are now Dodge Chargers?
A little bit meaner looking, with the Hemi!

personally i prefer something more modern. i've been driving the crown for 10 years, now i test drive a base subaru impreza, and the subaru wins hands down. quieter, faster, better ride, better mileage, better everything, except for sheer wastefulness. sold the crown, a year ago. don't miss it a bit. impreza is much much better, especially with the suspension upgrade in 08.

Originally Posted By: EricF

I have noticed in the past several weeks their have been several crashes with Dodge Chargers [Miami and several other agencies have a sprinkling] and each time the cops had to go to the hospital for injuries. When they crashed the Crown Victoria they always [for the most part] walk away without a scratch.

For most part down in South Florida they are still ordering the Crown Vic along with a sprinkling of Chargers.

well, it'll just make my '92 townacar that I will restore when needed, classic and worth something in 25 years!

we just sold a few CVPIs to one of the local departments. i talked to the guy that runs the local CHP fleet, and he said they had no plans to start buying chargers.

The police Vic's are bullet-proof for their vocation. Crashing over curbs and center medians that would leave the wheels falling off on other cars are routine for the CVPI.

Alot of the NYPD guys I spoke with hate the Charger...fast, yes, but the roomier, high greenhouse of the CVPI makes for a more comfortable 8 hours...Plus you can leave them idleing for days with the A/C on full blast.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: EricF

I have noticed in the past several weeks their have been several crashes with Dodge Chargers [Miami and several other agencies have a sprinkling] and each time the cops had to go to the hospital for injuries. When they crashed the Crown Victoria they always [for the most part] walk away without a scratch.

For most part down in South Florida they are still ordering the Crown Vic along with a sprinkling of Chargers.

Yeah but when hit in the rear a lot of these cops end up in a burn ward, or a funeral.

I want to waste as much gas as I can afford so I plan to keep my Merc. for a long time, or until O_______a takes it away from me.

I lnow a couple of customers that had Towncars and never went back after switching to Buick Park Avanues which have a better ride.Most people do this mistake when raising them on a hoist with the air ride suspension,forget to open the trunk and turn the switch to off.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
I lnow a couple of customers that had Towncars and never went back after switching to Buick Park Avanues which have a better ride.Most people do this mistake when raising them on a hoist with the air ride suspension,forget to open the trunk and turn the switch to off.

My sister had a Buick PA and had the intake gasket problem. Finally canned the car with only 135,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Quote:
final year for towncar.

My heavens . . . what ever will become of the white patent leather golf shoe crowd???
48.gif

The aftermarket "Cabriolet Roof" industry will also take a huge hit...
smirk2.gif

OPP got a number of the Chargers when they first came out. They recently ordered something like 500 new Vic's.

I wonder if Fiat and the UAW will even keep the Charger around.....

What they really need is to design a police cruiser from the ground up. That way alot of things can be built in, that would otherwise be bodged onto the car. That, and the Crown vic sorely needs updated. They are slow. Compared to most even mid-upper level performance cars today, they are slow. Put a crown vic against a Camaro SS, Challenger V8.. The crown vic is going to lose. Badly. It needs a bigger engine. They should hire a company to build a new PI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back