Final Outcome of All Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading all of the info. of the many different topics, after switching brands of oil God knows how many times and my brief encounter with bypass filters, I have finally come to a conclusion: it seems we are all wasting entirely too much time and energy worrying about what kind of oil is in our engines/transmissions. I mean, think about it, does the average person worry or even care what kind of oil is in their engine? I'm not saying to use the cheapest garbage or disregard the required maintenance, but it seems with all the worrying and uncertainties about what's the best brand or whether to use sythetic or conventional we're creating more unecessary worry rather than just enjoying the vehicle. I know I'm not the only one when I say I've lost plenty of sleep over API certification and warranty issues regarding certain oils. So to make this simple and to take out all the worry and aggravation, I'm going to use 10w30 Penzoil with OEM filters changed at every 3k. Hey, this is what everybody else does and their cars last 200k or better without any major engine failures and besides, I'm sure I will be getting rid of my car before it reaches that mileage anyway. Good luck with all of your research and testing, but for me, I'm done worrying about oil. I've got more important things to worry about.
grin.gif

Plex,
I believe you have come to a very good decision.
Now that you have decided on 10W30 Pennzoil, may you have many happy restful nights (and days).
wink.gif

Good Day,
Steven

Plexx, I hope there comes a time, in the not too distant future, when you will have no more important things to worry about.

This is supposed to be fun (as far as I know), and unless you manage a fleet or have some massive machinery where you might save yourself or your company big bucks, these topics are unimportant in the big scheme of things.

JMHO

Dude a quote:

quote:

I know I'm not the only one when I say I've lost plenty of sleep over API certification

That totally blows my mind. How many others are like this? Yes, indeed lighten up. Wow - this is my hobby! I have so much heavy duty stuff on my mind right now.....oil is just joy juice to me!

"Good luck with all of your research and testing, but for me, I'm done worrying about oil. I've got more important things to worry about."

Quick, Everybody, block the exits!! Sanity has returned to one of us and he's making a break for the door!!
gr_eek2.gif

There is no escape from the Church of Scien... er, I mean the "Cult of Oil".
grin.gif

plexx
I agree 100%. Right down to the Penzoil 10w30 and OEM filters. No more worrying for me also, now I know what will work well for me. After sutdying this site for months, I came to the same conclusion. I may use 5w30 in the winter, and change it often, only because the car is used for short trips (less than 5 miles) most of the time.

Thanks to this site, I know I will be a lot better off then the neighbor that swears by th V oil. I have watched him scrape the black gooey tar like crud away from oil filler area with his finger before adding those fresh new quarts and putting on that bright orange filter.

Twice-a-year changes, dino for driving few miles/old cars and synthetic for lots of miles driven/newer cars, over 6 month period. I want the best oil for the application though. I put the Penzoil HM in my friends car yesterday, he likes it so far. (ha ha, 1-day!)

[ August 25, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:
So to make this simple and to take out all the worry and aggravation, I'm going to use 10w30 Penzoil with OEM filters changed at every 3k.

If all you want is 200k from your engine, you would save time and money going with Mobil 1 and changing it every 6K mi.

Ok, sure, we just had a thread on the benefits of 3k changes, but we were talking about getting *maximum* life from your engine. Mobil 1 at 6k will get you 200K mi. easy, assuming normal driving conditions. You'd only buy 2 filters a year instead of 4. With the fuel savings from synthetic and buying the Mobil 5-qt. jug, the Mobil would actually cost you less to use than Pennzoil at 3k.
smile.gif

P.S. You may run, but you cannot hide. Our secret agents are everywhere and will always track you down-- heh-heh
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

quote:

I know I'm not the only one when I say I've lost plenty of sleep over API certification
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That totally blows my mind. How many others are like this?

I'm like this. I drained out fresh Amsoil when I found out about it's non API on it's non-XL line up. Other then this being a fun hobby for alot of people I too have given up the search for THE perfect oil/filter combos. I run Valvoline Durablend with napa gold filters and change every 3k on the dot due to such severe driving habits. It's SL/CL or what ever that second rating is for energy conserving. And is pretty cheap where I live. Love the info that comes accross this board though.
bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rexman:
[/b]

If all you want is 200k from your engine, you would save time and money going with Mobil 1 and changing it every 6K mi.

Ok, sure, we just had a thread on the benefits of 3k changes, but we were talking about getting *maximum* life from your engine. Mobil 1 at 6k will get you 200K mi. easy, assuming normal driving conditions.

I would say that one can also get "maximum" life from an engine using ANY good SL rated dino with a good maintenance schedule, miles depending upon the condition of the individual's driving.
I know this is so personally from those I know who use even Valvoline regular oil and are approaching 300,000 miles and still going (and this is up here in rural northern Minnesota).

Good Day,
Steven

A lot of people mention cars that have 300,000 miles on them using dino. That's good to hear, but personally I believe these same cars could achieve twice that amount using a good synthetic.

Also, people probably drive a lot of highway miles in rural Minnesota, and ok, I'd agree the benefits of using synthetic diminish in that case--running only highway miles makes just about any oil look good because there is so little wear at steady hwy speeds.

But people aren't complete idiots. There's good reason they are willing to pay a lot more for synthetic--it's a much better quality of oil.

Kind of like cigars--what would you rather smoke, an expensive Cuban Monte Cristo for the finest smoking pleasure or a cheap White Owl that only costs 1/5 as much. Sure, you are saving money with the White Owl, but you get what you pay for.

Synthetic is not just about extended drains--it makes the whole engine run more efficiently. You get better gas mileage, slightly more horsepower, and I believe, about half as much engine wear under demanding conditions-- even compared to today's better dino's.
cheers.gif

Look, I didn't mean to start any major issues; dont' get me wrong, this board is full of awesome information and myself have learned a tremendous amount about oil, but the point I was trying to make is I don't think there is a "perfect" oil and I think any good quality dino oil changed at a reasonable interval will give more than adequate protection for most applications. Some people are talking about 200k not being that high of a mileage for engine life, but what you have to take into account also is at 200k, what is the rest of the car going to be like; i.e transmission, differentials, etc.? Once the warranty is off sometimes the cost of owning and repairing the vehicle just doesn't warrant keeping the car for extended periods of time. For example, on my Toyota, the alternator is over $350 just for the part, the transmission can cost over $5,000. Depending on how reliable the car is after the warranty is off will dictate whether I will keep the car or not. There are a lot of valid points for using a good sythetic oil, but according to a lot of oil manufacturers and oil company reps. the new SL rated dino oils come very close to the synthetics and for myself, the extra cost, the API concerns and the hassles from the dealer, I don't think it's worth getting involved in. I'm still going to be visiting this board, but as far as experimenting and changing brands of oil, I think that's over with (besides, if my wife catches me changing the oil again on my car, I think she's going to call the guys in the white jackets)
gr_eek2.gif

I doubt many people put OEM parts on their car. You can get your altnator rebuilt for $100 or buy a used one for $65. I th9nk autozone has them reman for $89-$150 plus core. Starters are the same. Transmissions if it is a Toyota with a manual trans you useualy press a new bearing on the main shaft and shim it for pre-load replace all the old roll pins. They do not usualy need synchros. THis is assumeing that the trans has been serviced. If it is an automatic they tend to last 200,000 miles no problem so long as they are serviced properly. You can pick up a reman trans for $1500-$2000 and a low milage salvage one in good condition for about $400-$600 plus shipping. If it is a late model Toyota give Marlin from "Marlin Crawler" a call. He is in California and rebuild Toyota manual transmissions. I bought a rebuilt trans from him for $695 includeing shipping.

Posted by Rexman:

"A lot of people mention cars that have 300,000 miles on them using dino. That's good to hear, but personally I believe these same cars could achieve twice that amount using a good synthetic".

Get real. Please show me proof that synthetic oil makes an engine wear less than conventional oils. I do agree synthetics are more suited for extended drains and cold climates.....but making a car last twice as long...that's absurd.

quote:

"A lot of people mention cars that have 300,000 miles on them using dino. That's good to hear, but personally I believe these same cars could achieve twice that amount using a good synthetic".

Get real. Please show me proof that synthetic oil makes an engine wear less than conventional oils. I do agree synthetics are more suited for extended drains and cold climates.....but making a car last twice as long...that's absurd.

If you will look at what I said, it was "personally, I believe" that synthetics can make an engine last twice as long as dinos. I never claimed to have any proof of this--where are you going to find proof? I'm speaking from 30 years experience having used both types of oil--synthetics are better in so many respects the comparison is not even close in my book.

Do you see any world-class racing teams putting cheap 69 cent a quart dino in their racing vehicles? Of course not and for good reason. Synthetic oil is better in every way. Engines last longer, they get higher horsepower, better fuel economy, and can achieve higher rpm's down the straightaways.

Frankly, it's a little dismaying to see how many people on this board feel that conventional oil is every bit as good as synthetic. If you guys had good knowledge of how synthetics are made and what their molecular composition is, you would not make statements like these.

Just because synthetic looks the same and pours the same from the bottle does not mean it IS the same. Your engine will know the difference, even if you don't.
tongue.gif

[ August 26, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

--snip--

Ok, sure, we just had a thread on the benefits of 3k changes, but we were talking about getting *maximum* life from your engine. Mobil 1 at 6k will get you 200K mi. easy, assuming normal driving conditions.
---snip---

do M1 at 12-15 will get you 200K, heck I'd wager if I were a betting man, that you can go
M1 @15K, flush at 50-60K and still get 200K.

If you wanna be safe, I met a guy today that has a 1996 Tacoma with 428K and he uses just Penn.10w-30 at 3K, his last Tacoma was 500K with the same deal.

quote:

Originally posted by plexx:
---snip---
I'm going to use 10w30 Penzoil with OEM filters changed at every 3k. Hey, this is what everybody else does ---snip---[/QB]

Good, you agreed on an oil that you can use.
Now do the maintenance!
I would suggest some oil testing to find future problems like a coolant leak or such in development. It may be good to do this at say 30-60-90-120K etceteras since you are through with the oil side of things... :-}
However I feel, that once the bug has bitten, you will still have the urge, at least once and awhile, to do domething more than "just everyone", because my firend, not everyone will even change their oil at 3K. And what "Everyone" has not done is what you have done and educated yourself on oil to make a good choice for your cars, No, most everyone does not know that Most engines fail due not to the oil but to the coolant system outa-wack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back