Filters for German cars, Mann, Mahle or Hengst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
For air, oil and cabin, are any brands still consistently made in Germany?

Mahle was making most of the oil filters in Austria for a long time, not sure if that is still true.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by atikovi
For air, oil and cabin, are any brands still consistently made in Germany?

Mahle was making most of the oil filters in Austria for a long time, not sure if that is still true.

Mahle is as far as I know. I just stocked on air, oil, cabin and fuel filters for my VW TDI and all of the Mahle filters I received were high quality and still made in Austria.

I got some fuel filters from MANN that were made in CZ and they were clearly made to a lower standard than the MANN German version. I actually took a picture of the German filter next to the CZ and put it on one of the VW forums so people could see.

While these three companies originated in and remain based in the EU. All three companies have factories around the world, usually EU, NA, SA and Asia.

Supply Logistics mean that its easier to build a factory in China to make filters for the Chinese as compared to making them all in EU and shipping/freighting them to the other side of the world - This logic applies to every market in the same way that Ford are American but they have factories in all the areas where they have customers.

It would not make sense for Ford to produce all of their trucks in Australia and ship them over to US, and similarly it would not make sense for Mann to produce your cabin filter in the EU then float them accross the ocean to you in NA, so they started manufacturing in NA to save the cost and logistical headache.

IMO the country of origin stamped on the filter you buy most likely depends which reseller you buy it from and their supply chain contracts.

I bought an OE engine air filter for my 4 series and I believe country of origin was with Slovakia or Romania. I read somewhere that a lot of parts are made in these countries because its a little cheaper and yet still very close to manufacturing plants (Austria, Germany, etc)

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Mann made in Germany

Are you the same Bjorn Viken who lives in Hollola?

no, lives about 500 km north from that place🙂

Originally Posted by Olas

It would not make sense for Ford to produce all of their trucks in Australia and ship them over to US, and similarly it would not make sense for Mann to produce your cabin filter in the EU then float them across the ocean to you in NA, so they started manufacturing in NA to save the cost and logistical headache.

while what you say rings true... the Jeep Renegade models sold in the US, Engines, and possibly trans, are Made in the US, shipped to Italy for vehicle assembly, then shipped back to the US for sale...

I know an engine, or a whole car is a far cry from a filter, so not apples to apples, but...

[Linked Image]

I bought a Mann filter and they were made in China, just like the AC/Delco I bought for comparison!

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

The Mann oil filter for my X5 takes very considerable force to put onto the filter housing mount. Enough that I was concerned about it's integrity. Hengst filter installs without issue.

I have used them all and they vary where they are manufactured. I have a couple Hengst from Poland on my shelf right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back