Filters Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes but the fleet guard synthetic line has better efficiency I believe

I was making a comparison on equivalently price filters.

Unlike Fram Ultra, their synthetic models are not available across a wide spectrum of applications. Even then, they're considerably more expensive.

Yes you are right about that, they can be really expensive for the high end fleetguard

Originally Posted By: SteveGG
901Memphis, as before, please provide details of your claim about WIX XP. 20 micron nominal is not that bad. Only 2 of 11 considered were slightly better !

Call WIX Tech Dept and find out first hand what the efficiency of the XP is at 20 microns.

Product Information: USA 1-800-949-6698

901Memphis, WIX had no info on the 57356XP filter I'll be using, except that it was one of the newer ones and "very tight". As I thought, apparently two common micron measures are used : nominal ( blocks 50% ) and absolute ( blocks 98.5% ). Naturally, I would assume that the nominal would be a bit less, though not very less, than the absolute. I can't understand why you say 20 nominal is so bad. I looked at the info for 11 common filters, and only 2 had a bit lower numbers than the WIX. What do you consider a good nominal ? What numbers are you looking at to conclude that WIX is the worst ? ( specifics please ) Someone else stated some numbers on Fleetguard : 20% @ 10 microns, 68% @ 30 microns, which wouldn't be all that different from 20 nominal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveGG
WIX had no info on the 57356XP filter I'll be using, except that it was one of the newer ones and "very tight". As I thought, apparently two common micron measures are used : nominal ( blocks 50% ) and absolute ( blocks 98.5% ).

LoL ... wow, WIX is really dumbing it down these days. So instead of giving a rated efficiency they just say thier filters are "very tight" now?
crazy.gif

Did they give you any kind of info that was in the format of "xx% @ yy microns"?

Well... Just get the Wix black or white 57356 that is 95% @ 20 microns and call it a day. Very good filter with silicone ADBV.

Where can I find ratings posted side by side?
Wix XP is odd that it does not match FU - but use as a transmission filter since single pass matters less - and assume low pressure drop. I also feel the construction is quite good.
I use both M1 and FU knowing what is different - but don't think one or the other is going to make my engine last longer ... hope my OEM air filters do ...
By keeping a stock - always buy on sale.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Wix XP is 50% @20 microns per their data on the web and if you email or call them.

Thank you. I think I'll stick with FRAM Ultra for a while longer.

bbhero seems to have found data indicating 95% at 20 microns for the WIX 57356, which is comparable to the 4 mentioned by 901Memphis, and a lot better than the 20 nominal that I was able to find not specific to any particular WIX filter. I'd really like to know the source since even WIX didn't seem to have any data on the 57356.

Fleetguard, Wix, FRAM, Purolator, Baldwin, Hastings, and just about any other commercial oil filter sufficiently filters your oil for great engine longevity.

They all meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications.

Some filter manufacturers focus on their filter media more than their construction for specification
one-upmanship just for marketing and internet [censored] contests.

It has become a religion here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Fleetguard, Wix, FRAM, Purolator, Baldwin, Hastings, and just about any other commercial oil filter sufficiently filters your oil for great engine longevity.

They all meet the vehicle manufacturer's specifications.

The filtering efficiency requirement specs from the vehicle manufacturers must be set pretty low based on some OEM filters coming in at 50% @ 20 microns. Of course, that spec can be different depending on the vehicle company.

Nobody has every shown what the actual vehicle manufacturer's specs really are. Probably "proprietary" information that's not available to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back