Filtereing old oil to reuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
AdRock, I mean this to be constructive, not criticizing.

No problem. I'm all for constructive criticism. I'm not a chemist and have not ventured deeply into the workings of motor oil. My knowledge comes from what I've seen. I worked as a mechanic for quite a while and did work on a lot of fleet taxi's so I've seen how different oils hold up on those cars that get tons of hard miles put on them. There's still plenty to learn in the oil dept. and it's always changing. I quit working as a mechanic by profession back in 2000 because the money just wasn't good enough anymore. I do still however keep all my certs up to date and am regularly working on one car or another. Mostly to get ready for racing. The UOA's are something I've never done on an oil and part of the reason I signed up here is to learn. So if I'm way off base on something then I have no problem with someone correcting me and giving me the straight poop on the deal. I don't know everything and will never claim that I do.

The first thing you need to do is get over the 3K oil change. I know it's hard to do as that is the way I was raised and I did it for many years, with both conventional oil and synthetics. It is the 21st century, half way through 2009, and there is not an API approved oil on the planet that cannot do 5K oil changes.

The last 2 oil changes I did on my car and the wifes were at 4k. So I'm slowly working myself into getting used to the longer OCI's. I can however tell the difference in how my car runs & feels after 3 or 4k. Engine noise increases and performance goes down slightly.

Now, if you are going to use a quality synthetic like Amsoil this is what I would do. Get the Amsoil of your choice and get the Amsoil EaO filter for your applications, change the oil on both vehicles and don't worry about it for at least 7.5K. I know it will be hard, but it can be done.

Now, as for as filtering used oil. You might run it through a fine screen or a paper filter, and you might filter out some dirt particles, but you cannot filter out the contaminants produced from combustion process. And even at 3K those contaminants are in there.

That was kind of the basis for one of my above questions though. I know that after 3k those contaminants are in there. If those contaminants left in there cause the oil not to be good enough to put into another vehicle for the second 3k miles with a new filter then why wouold it be good to leave it in my car over that 3k with the same filter? The answer to this question is what no one has answered yet.

I guess the first question we should have asked is what year models do you and your wife drive, what is the mileage on both vehicles, and what kind of conditions are these cars driven, i.e. mostly highway, city, etc.

My vehicle is a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6 NA. 5spd TR3650 with 89k miles on it.
Mods include:
Diablo tune,
JLT short ram intake
stock throttle body with Pro Products aftermarket plenum
energy suspension motor & trans mounts
Centerforce dual friction clutch,
aluminum flywheel,
Steeda quadrant & cable adjuster
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft,
Steeda tri ax [censored]
stock 8.8 rear end housing with a TA girdle, Superior 31 pline axles, and an F150 31 spline Traklok with 4.10 gears
Mac Pro Chamber off road mid pipe w/ mil eliminators
Flowmaster mufflers welded intot he stock catback
Vogtland springs
Tokico shocks & struts
Maximum Motorsports CC plates
Granatelli upper & lower rear control arms

Motor oil started with Amsoil 5w30 when I bought it with 16k on it. The price on Amsoil went up quite a bit so I switched to Mobil1 5w30 a few years ago, always with a FL820S filter changed every 3k miles. Tranny fluid is Mobil1 Mercon V changed every 25-30k. Rear diff is Mobil1 75-140 and changed when I do the tranny. A bottle of Chemtool is put in the gas tank and some Seafoam run through the intake about once a year. Fuel filter is changed every 6 months. Motorcraft Copper plugs in the engine pulled, checked and regapped every 15k. Throttle body checked & cleaned(if needed) every other oil change. Same with the PCV valve since the 4.6's have a bad habit of sucking a lot of oil throught the PCV.

I run the car hard in everyday driving and go to the track a fair amount. I'm not easy on this car at all so I make sure I'm on top of things. I know any anomoly, squeak, engine noise, etc. that is not normal for this car.

My wifes car is a bone stock 2003 Honda Accord 2.3 4cyl with 55k on it. I have been running Motorcraft blend in it and changing it every 4k with a Mobil1 filter. Since it just passed 50k it's about to get a trans flush. Besides that I do maintenence on it in regular intervals. My wife is not hard on the car at all so normal maintenance is fine and the car is in tip top shape.

Good luck

Adrock, it just doesn't make any sense to do what you're proposing, ergo nonsensical.

You're putting more miles on the same oil, ergo shortsighted because it amounts to the same thing.

Can you not see how silly it sounds to take oil out of one car at 3k miles and put it in another car?

How many miles would you run it in your wife's car? Why not just leave it in your car for those miles?

Do you plan on taking it out of your wife's car and putting it back into your car? LOLOL Please tell me that's not your plan
crazy2.gif

Accord 4-cylinder are super-easy on any oil. You could run melted Vaseline in them and they'd still go 300k...seriously!

No problem running 3-4k syn oil out of your Mustang in the Accord....

When wil it end? When it goes in the mower or Mother-in-Law's car? Mobil 3? Seriously, I'm all about conserving and being economical, but this is something else.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
When wil it end? When it goes in the mower or Mother-in-Law's car? Mobil 3? Seriously, I'm all about conserving and being economical, but this is something else.

Appropriately filtered, after its out of the lawnmower, it could be co-fired as fuel in a diesel engine
LOL.gif

Apparently nobody can give a simple answer to a simple question. Just give me a hard time about something I thought of but am not even doing. Some people are actually having a conversation but others seem to just think I'm soo crazy for even having the thought of doing this. Give me a break.

I like having fresh oil in my car.

So someone answer this question.

If the oil can go 7500 between changes on one filter. Then why could it not go in one car for 3k on one filter, then the other car for 3k on a new filter.

It's a very simple question that nobody seems to have an answer for.

And no it would go on forever. 3-4k in mine, 3-4k in the wifes then turned in for recycle.

I thought I'd answered previously, regarding a neighbour who used to do that with his "good" car and his beaters.

I don't see an issue, provided you can keep the transfer equipment at least as clean as a new oil bottle.

Relax, AdRock. You can't expect to bring this up and ONLY get the good stuff. This is BITOG. XTREME, full contact, lubrication. No sump is too big or too small. No OCI to long or too short. No viscosity too thick or too thin. You can be as wasteful as you please ..or tighter than a frog's behind ..and that's water tight. You can spend many hours to accomplish next to nothing (one of my personal favorites) or ponder something for so long that your concept becomes obsolete (my other personal favorite).

Just keep it tidy, like Shannow says.

LOL, I know. It's all good. At this point I'm kind of yanking the chain on the people that seem to think I'm insane for even thinking about any of this.

The people that are giving me carp about it won't answer the question, just make statements about it being completely wrong and stupid with nothing to back up why.

I guess this one can die now.

While you are thinking about doing it, I on the other hand have done it and don't care what others think. Convince me I'm wrong.

Re-reading thru this thread, I'm thinking obviously most of the Bitog members are car buffs. If I had a car under a warranty and I wanted to use a synthetic oil. Lets say I didn't rack up the miles, and was draining oil every 6 months, and the oil only had 2-3000 miles on it, that oil would be prime oil for what AdRock wants to do.

Now I know people would say changing synthetic oil in 6 months with 2-3000 miles on it is a waste and dino should be used, but this could be a way to get more life out of the synthetic oil. Especially if the donor car is used long enough on the highway to get the oil hot enough to burn off moisture, etc. Then screen the oil, and use it in the other car. A UOA could determine how/good or bad an idea this is, but my guess is it would work.

It would be practical in this example because the oil had to be dropped because of the 6 month time limit set by the warranty. Other than that I think it would be a waste of time, since once the warranty is up extended drain intervals can be used, and the oil could stay in one car. JMO

AD

Originally Posted By: AdRock

Apparently nobody can give a simple answer to a simple question. Just give me a hard time about something I thought of but am not even doing. Some people are actually having a conversation but others seem to just think I'm soo crazy for even having the thought of doing this. Give me a break.

I like having fresh oil in my car.

So someone answer this question.

If the oil can go 7500 between changes on one filter. Then why could it not go in one car for 3k on one filter, then the other car for 3k on a new filter.

It's a very simple question that nobody seems to have an answer for.

And no it would go on forever. 3-4k in mine, 3-4k in the wifes then turned in for recycle.

Read back through the posts. Myself and others have not only answered your question but I've given you reasons why I think your proposal is both nonsensical and shortsighted.

Anyway, you're right, it's all good. I guess if you're actually going to do this, the only advice I would give you is not to tell your wife. Assuming that one of you has some common sense, she probably won't be happy about it.

Good luck :)

Originally Posted By: AdRock

It will work. There I said it. (But I go by my other answers)

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Re-reading thru this thread, I'm thinking obviously most of the Bitog members are car buffs. If I had a car under a warranty and I wanted to use a synthetic oil. Lets say I didn't rack up the miles, and was draining oil every 6 months, and the oil only had 2-3000 miles on it, that oil would be prime oil for what AdRock wants to do.

Now I know people would say changing synthetic oil in 6 months with 2-3000 miles on it is a waste and dino should be used, but this could be a way to get more life out of the synthetic oil. Especially if the donor car is used long enough on the highway to get the oil hot enough to burn off moisture, etc. Then screen the oil, and use it in the other car. A UOA could determine how/good or bad an idea this is, but my guess is it would work.

It would be practical in this example because the oil had to be dropped because of the 6 month time limit set by the warranty. Other than that I think it would be a waste of time, since once the warranty is up extended drain intervals can be used, and the oil could stay in one car. JMO

AD

Sounds like a plan if you fall into that category?

AdRock,

I just read this old thread. Was looking it up to see what folks said because it's of interest to me. But didn't find any info in the thread.
frown.gif

Something to note - there are companies that make bypass filters that use paper towels and toilet paper (depending on size of filter housing) - I think one of them is GulfCoast filters. I've read that both toilet paper and papers towels will filter down to a very low micron level (much lower than any full flow filter) - I would be hesitant to use toilet paper in a home filter setup due to possible disentegrating the paper (but ?).

But anyway, I've thougt about a home setup - perhaps dropping the oil into a plastic pail, letting it flow thru a screen mesh (tea) sieve, with several layers of paper towels (perhaps with inbetween layers of quality toilet paper) on the sieve. Would need to be in a dust free (as possible) environment.

Also could use a fluid extractor (hand pump with hose that goes down the dipstick hole) to get the oil out (instead of draining). Then it could be pumped out whenever wanted and put thru the filter without doing the whole oil drain thing.

But at the end of the day, I'm not sure if a single pass thru this system would give lower insolubles - but it seems it would.

Here's something else I dreamed up. Use the hand pump coming out of the dipstick - route it then to a the screen mesh, paper towel system that is built onto a large funnel - with the funnel then sitting in the oil fill hole. So it's one full circuit - out of the sump, thru the filter, back into the sump. Also, with coverings over all exposed areas to cut down on dust.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The original post should have gone to the "cheapskate" thread!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Kestas
The original post should have gone to the "cheapskate" thread!

crackmeup2.gif

I should've clarified that I would only consider top shelf toilet paper. Cost would not be an issue in the home set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back