Filtereing old oil to reuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AdRock

I simply had the thought that if an oil is good to go 10k in a single engine then why can't that 10k be split between to engines? It's a simple question but seems to have really gotten everyones panties in a bunch.

Here's a simple answer. If it can go 10k in car A, leave it in car A. Just change the filter.

Last edited:

And as far as the used car comment goes. My car is in better shape than most cars on the road even with my miles and how hard I am on the car. Because I take care of it.

I think you may have misunderstood. I meant that with 3000 mile oci your used car's engine would be in excellent shape.

Originally Posted By: mva

And as far as the used car comment goes. My car is in better shape than most cars on the road even with my miles and how hard I am on the car. Because I take care of it.

I think you may have misunderstood. I meant that with 3000 mile oci your used car's engine would be in excellent shape.

Ahh, ok. I read it with the wrong inflection, my bad.

Except the intake/throttle body/PCV may very well need a very good cleaning because of the excess oil changes! And all the extra volatilized oil.

And you may need new oxygen sensor(s), or catalytic converter(s) earlier than normal because of excessive phosphorous contamination.

My next door neighbour used to have a really heavily turboed Volvo as his nice car, and various Datsun 1000/1200s as his get to work beaters.

Bought some Agip Sint 2000 (very expensive in 1987), ran it a year in the Volvo (about 5,000km), and a year in the beater (about 15,000km).

Nothing wrong with it IMO

Originally Posted By: pitzel

Except the intake/throttle body/PCV may very well need a very good cleaning because of the excess oil changes! And all the extra volatilized oil.

And you may need new oxygen sensor(s), or catalytic converter(s) earlier than normal because of excessive phosphorous contamination.

Uhhh, no. None of that needs a good cleaning. They're not dirty. They don't get dirty any faster than on any other car.I know this because I check things often. Also, the cats have been gone for a good while now and the original O2's sensors are still in there and going strong, plenty clean the last time I had them out. Please explain to me exactly how changing the oil every 3k is going to screw all that stuff up. especially when a car is properly maintained.

Last edited:
I think the point in filtering the oil is to get any possible dirt out of the oil from the swap. Possibly some junk in the threads from the drain hole, or something that could blow into the drain pan, etc.

If you have your heart set on doing it give it a try and run a UOA on your wife's car at the end of the OCI. That should settle any questions and determine if it was worth doing. It will certainly be a different UOA than what we are accustomed to reading here on Bitog.

AD

AdRock, I mean this to be constructive, not criticizing.

The first thing you need to do is get over the 3K oil change. I know it's hard to do as that is the way I was raised and I did it for many years, with both conventional oil and synthetics. It is the 21st century, half way through 2009, and there is not an API approved oil on the planet that cannot do 5K oil changes.

Now, if you are going to use a quality synthetic like Amsoil this is what I would do. Get the Amsoil of your choice and get the Amsoil EaO filter for your applications, change the oil on both vehicles and don't worry about it for at least 7.5K. I know it will be hard, but it can be done.

Now, as for as filtering used oil. You might run it through a fine screen or a paper filter, and you might filter out some dirt particles, but you cannot filter out the contaminants produced from combustion process. And even at 3K those contaminants are in there.

I guess the first question we should have asked is what year models do you and your wife drive, what is the mileage on both vehicles, and what kind of conditions are these cars driven, i.e. mostly highway, city, etc.

Good luck

Well, all the objections to this practice aside, I see no reason not to develop your own off car filtering process.

It would be simpler for you to install a tp filter or other bypass filter on one or both cars and just extend the individual usage on each, but that's not what you want to do.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

To the OP..."Here's your sign!"
grin2.gif

Thank you so much for the insightful post. If you don't have anything useful to say then don't bother at all. Have a nice day.

Sorry, I mistook you for someone who had a sense of humor. Note the green smiley face I used.

Seriously, you are simply misguided, that's all. This is probably not the only silly path your OCD has lead you down. I guess you really couldn't hurt anything by putting used Amsoil in your wife's car, it's just so...nonsensical and shortsighted to do so.

Observation 1: The reusing is not efficient, especially with ultra CHEAP prices of the quality, name brand dinos readily available.

Observation 2: Some who have bashed this guys plan is off base. While his routien is inefficient and less than practical, it DOES NO REAL HARM, IMHO.

Bottom line: AdRock, consider a different plan, BUT--if what you are doing pleases you, THATS what is important. They are your cars, dang it! AdRock can do as he pleases!

I guess since his original question was, "Anyone else done/do this?", the only answer should have been yes or no.

You are correct, it's his cars and he can do what ever pleases him. That's pretty much what all of us do.

Good plan.

I discard synthetic with additional life in it often.

Warranty requires at least annual changes in my car.

A buddy of mine expressed interest in my old oil for use in his older vehicles.

The only thing that has kept me from doing it is it's a lot of trouble draining and filtering and etc.

But I'm using PP synthetic at $20 for 5 qts.

We're talking, at most, $10 worth of value here......

Uhhh, no. None of that needs a good cleaning. They're not dirty. They don't get dirty any faster than on any other car.I know this because I check things often.

'More often' was a relative thing. If you do 6000 mile OCI's, versus 3000 mile OCI's, your cats might go from lasting 150k miles, to 200k miles, simply on account of exposing the exhaust system to less phosphorous. And the intake may be 'half' as gunked up at 100k with the less frequent OCI's versus the more frequent OCI's, by not exposing the intake to PCV and other crankcase vapour byproducts.

If you 'check often', you're even less likely to observe abrupt changes in cleanliness, because these are extremely gradual processes we're talking about here. And cats/O2 sensors, their failure is gradual, not sudden.

Quote:

Also, the cats have been gone for a good while now and the original O2's sensors are still in there and going strong, plenty clean the last time I had them out. Please explain to me exactly how changing the oil every 3k is going to screw all that stuff up. especially when a car is properly maintained.

Cats/O2 sensors: excess exposure to ZDDP byproducts (ZDDP is an additive found in motor oil, that tends to evaporate the most during the first couple thousand miles after an oil change.).

Intake cleanliness: excess exposure to volatilized motor oil. Volatility, and volatilization is at its peak when motor oil is brand-new, and decreases with in-service use. If your motor oil is always new (ie: 3000 mi changes), then volatilization will always be at its peak.

OK, I will confess that I have done something similar to pitzel. I drained my wife's oil out of her car, Amsoil ASL 5W30 w/ EaO filter at 7,500 miles, and used the old oil in my Briggs & Stratton wood splitter engine. That thing has never run better. I don't see anything wrong with doing that. If I didn't already have lots of oil for the 1990 F150, I would have put it in there for a few thousand miles. Not gonna hurt a thing, can't to kill that 300 - 6 cylinder anyhow. Now, messin' with the wife's car is another story altogether!

i guess that isnt a baD idea, but i would leave the amsoil in 8k and run reg oil in the accord...a jug of supertech is only 9.50 at wal mart

At 3k OCI's I doubt Amsoil has any better wear numbers than walmart supertech.

Get over the short oci's or start using the cheapest dino you can find.

I don't think your idea is stupid I just don't it helps anything.

To the OP..."Here's your sign!"
grin2.gif

Thank you so much for the insightful post. If you don't have anything useful to say then don't bother at all. Have a nice day.

Sorry, I mistook you for someone who had a sense of humor. Note the green smiley face I used.

Seriously, you are simply misguided, that's all. This is probably not the only silly path your OCD has lead you down. I guess you really couldn't hurt anything by putting used Amsoil in your wife's car, it's just so...nonsensical and shortsighted to do so.

I do have a sense of humor. Like I did with one of the guys above I read your post with the wrong inflection behind it. That's my bad.

I don't see how it's nonsensical and shortsighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back