Filtereing old oil to reuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about switching back to Amsoil 5w-30 in the Stang but I change the oil every 2500 to 3k and I know it can go much longer. So I was thinking about using it in my wifes Accord.

Basically, do oil changes on both cars at the same time. Drain mine, filter the oil, then put it in hers. Of course with a new filter.

This way I'm not spending a ton on oil that I don't use the full life of. And both cars get a good full synthetic.

Anyone else done/do this?

What media could be used to filter the oil before putting it in the wifes car?

Why...oh why......please......why.....

Are you that poor? Do you live in a third world country really?

Kill your 3,000 OCI habit. Buy good Syn oil and run it to it's potential.

In the grand scheme of things and cost is not much money spent, or saved.

Last edited:
I believe if you look around a bit, someone ran some tests and showed that oil through an AMSOIL EAO filter was cleaner than many new oils.

I guess your plan is an option. My option would be to leave the oil and filter on for at least 12,500 miles or a year---each car.

I guess, if you are really concerned, you could hook up some kind of bypass filter and pump the oil through it between changes.

I use Kendal 5W-20 in a Honda Pilot out to 5,000 with no issues. that's only out 75% on the oil usage indicator too!

A good synthetic can go 7,500.

Sounds like a good idea to me, just don't tell her its old oil. My wife would kill me if I did that! Now that I have real old oil, even though its unused in the can (3-4 cases of oil in cardboard cans), she's warned me not to use it in her car!!!!!! Good luck

I've told this story before, but were I worked before retireing I gave my used 10,000 M1 to a guy there that put the used M1 in his 75 Chevy. He did this for 4-5 years before selling the car. The car ran great, never drained the pan, just changed the filter once or twice a year. When he needed more oil from me he would ask if I had any Mobil 2.

I posted about this a few months ago, and the general consensus is no. However, if you drain the oil into a clean container, and then run it through a fine screen you probably could get away with it. I would use it as top up oil in an old car, or for use in a beater. I would not use it in any car I really cared for.

Many years ago I would change oil every 3000 miles and give the oil to a neighbor who had a Chevy van that used a qt of oil every 200 miles. It saved him a lot of cash, and I had a good feeling about recycling the old oil. JMO

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Cheap oil and modest intervals are so practical that it makes re-use absurd.

He used my old oil because his old Chevy had lifter clatter on start up in cold weather with dino. After using Mobil 2 never had that problem. Didn't want to pay the price for new synth.

Yes, my post was a real post. I don't live in some third world country. And no, I'm not that broke.

I've had an OCD about oil changes since I was a kid. If I go past 3k I get real antsy. If I hit 4k I don't want to drive the car. ODD? YES. But that's how it is. I would not have a problem paying for the best oil for both cars every 3k. That's not gonna break me at all. But why waste oil that still good if I don't need to?

This was just a simple question.

And to those of you that think I'm crazy for even thinking of doing this....

If the oil isn't still good enough after 3k to be put into another car for 3k then why would you leave it in your car for over 3k?

If the oil is good enough for 7500-10k in your car with the same filter why wouldn't the oil out of my car after 3k be good enough to put in another car with a new filter for another 3k? That's only 6k total miles on the oil.

I never said your post wasn't real! I felt the same way, but as I said the general consensus was no when I posed the same question. As I mentioned as long as it is drained into a clean container, and then filtered before adding the oil it should be fine.

I would add that you should do a UOA on the donor vehicle just to be certain the car isn't tossing wear metals, has fuel dilution issues, high silicone, or coolant leaking into the oil. At that point I'd say you'd be fine. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I never said your post wasn't real! I felt the same way, but as I said the general consensus was no when I posed the same question. As I mentioned as long as it is drained into a clean container, and then filtered before adding the oil it should be fine.

I would add that you should do a UOA on the donor vehicle just to be certain the car isn't tossing wear metals, has fuel dilution issues, high silicone, or coolant leaking into the oil. At that point I'd say you'd be fine. JMO

My post wasn't a reply to your post. It was directed at the others who seem to think I'm crazy for thinking of doing it.

There's nothing leaking in on my car. I haven't done a UOA on the oil I drain out but I do look closely for anything in the oil. I've even run it through a paint filter a few times after I drained it to see if any chunks of anything were in there. I also usually put a magnet in with the old oil and shake up the bottle then let it sit for a little bit to see how much metal might be in the oil.

A UOA would be better but I just haven't done one.

Last edited:
Letting the used oil settle in a jug for a week, then decant into another one, and letting settle for a month, should take out any harmful particles.

Even with use of a clean container and straining/filtering before putting it in the other car I would worry about inadvertent contamination of foreign material and doing some real damage to the other car.

There seems to be another issue here, if you can't stand the thought of going over 3k how can you stand the idea of it going past 3k in the other car???

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

My post wasn't a reply to your post. It was directed at the others who seem to think I'm crazy for thinking of doing it.

There's nothing leaking in on my car. I haven't done a UOA on the oil I drain out but I do look closely for anything in the oil. I've even run it through a paint filter a few times after I drained it to see if any chunks of anything were in there. I also usually put a magnet in with the old oil and shake up the bottle then let it sit for a little bit to see how much metal might be in the oil.

A UOA would be better but I just haven't done one.

oilyriser brought out a good point, his suggestions along with what you're doing should be fine. A UOA would take any and all guess work out. I would suggest doing that after you "process" the oil. I for one would be very interested in your results.

I have a new Jeep that isn't driven much so I change the oil every 6 months (warranty requirement), the miles are usually pretty low. Once I am certain all break in metals are out, I might consider saving the oil for topping up my beater.

Better yet!!! Drain out yours, put through filter and put in Jug1.
Drain out hers, put through filter and put in Jug2.
Change filters, replace drain plug.
Fill your crankcase from Jug2.
Fill her crankcase from Jug1.
Mission accomplished. Oil has been changed. Tell your wife you have found a new trick, how to change oil for free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back