Filter Wrench Look-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local NAPA had a verbal thrashing from my neighbor. He's got a Cummins and needs the "fluted" filter due to the location. They tried to give him the non-fluted filter.

He said, "I'll go get my neighbor and he'll tell you how FOS you are. He knows the right part number"
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
On some cars you can't get a good hand grip on the filter.

True, and that would be a legitimate reason. That Buick ain't one of those cars, though.

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Originally Posted By: XS650
On some cars you can't get a good hand grip on the filter.

True, and that would be a legitimate reason. That Buick ain't one of those cars, though.

I know, I'm just being lazy; but I promise you I'm not getting it too tight.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: flatlandtacoma
Why would anybody intentionally put an oil filter on with a wrench, knowing they will then need a bigger fancier wrench to get the darn thing off?!?
crazy2.gif

Actually, I only want one to remove filters. I have one filter that's tough to get at. I have three other wrenches... and I'm still looking for the "perfect" one. :D

i can get a strap wrench to loosen the horizontally mounted oil filter on my Pontiac's 2.4L engine, but I can't quite get a socket up in there due to hoses and wiring, but I use one of the endcap wrenchs to hand tighten it, as it does make it easier since the "grips" on the filter aren't very deep to grasp well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Here are some more filter wrenches:

4) http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/MACDRIVE/TOOLS/DSCN1123.jpg

On my last oil change I used the K-D band type wrench for removing the filter and then I used the FloTool graphite cup wrench for tightening the new filter; no more having to grip the filter by hand.
55.gif

Where do you find these filter wrenches? I went to the MAC tools web site but couldn't find any thing like that. BTW if you want any information about a tool beyond what it weighs, forget it. I've got 2 or 3 in my tool box that I bought only to find that the next filter I tried to use them on would not fit. Having filter numbers available would help. K-D tools are shrink wrapped so you can't always try it on your filter. Some dealers don't want to cut open a package to see if it is the right wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back