Filter Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan on running my '02 Volvo S60 (83K) on Amsoil SAE 10w-30 for 10K intervals. I would prefer to use the same filter for the entire interval. In another thread a reliable member suggested Mann or Wix filters.

How about K&N for a 10K interval? Any other suggestions? Amsoil does not make a filter for my model.

10k is no big deal if engine is running good.
So, use any filter cartridge that fits.

Is 10k an acceptable OCI for your engine family and driving style? do you plan on UOA for proof?

I think Purolator or Wix are about as Good as you get. I cant see paying the extra for K/N, Mobil 1 and Amsoil, you can only filter out so much and I dont think anyone on this site is going let it get out of control. Its the Twenty something Blonde with 28000 miles since her last oil change on her Grand am that would really need the extra edge and she probably has a FRAM on her car that her last boyfriend put on.

I agree with Panzerman. Purolator and Wix are great filter options at a reasonable price if the EaO is not available for your application. I pay $3 regular price for Purolator Premium Plus filters. I just tried to find "Grease's" oil filter study (www.oilfilterstudy.com). If I remeber correctly the Premium Plus was very close in terms of filtering and flow performance to the K&N, for less than one third the price. And both the Wix and Purolators seem to have a good track record with many on this site. Both appear to be mad well. I just tried to locate the study done by "Grease" (screen name) but it appears not to be on the net anymore. K&N is probably a great filter too and the new Amsoil EaOs appear to be top notch. 10K OCI with Amsoil is probably fine. My recommendation - Purolator Premium Plus about $3 to $4, PurOne, $5 to $6, or Wix (unknown price) but probably very reasonable at Fleetfilter, one of this site's sponsors.

Good Luck !!!

By the way, you mentioned Mann filters also. Purolator is a joint venture of the Mann and Bosch companies. Purolator makes some of Bosch's filters. I dont know if Purolator makes Mann filters, but it would make sense, since they jointly own Purolator.

Quote:

I just tried to find "Grease's" oil filter study (www.oilfilterstudy.com). I just tried to locate the study done by "Grease" (screen name) but it appears not to be on the net anymore.

Haven't been around in a long time. I let the account expire. I've been a little reluctant to pay the ~$50 a year in domain and hosting fees. I'm checking into some options. Putting it on an existing sub-domain would be free, but it wouldn't be an easy recognizable URL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back