Filter pressure drop

This may be a dumb question but is there any concern around aftermarket filters causing greater pressure drop across the media? Lets assume for a second that the bypass valves open at the same pressure, should I ever be worried about using say, a Fram filter vs an OEM Toyota or Motorcraft Filter?

i currently used Fram Ultras on everything, this just came up on another forum and I had just assumed this was a non-issue.

Last edited:
As long as there's a bypass valve, no. if you have a pressure gauge you can monitor this btw. As the filter media loads up, max pressure and min pressure drops if the pressure sensor is behind the filter. Change the filter before the pressure drop is equal to the bypass valve setting.

This may be a dumb question but is there any concern around aftermarket filters causing greater pressure drop across the media? Lets assume for a second that the bypass valves open at the same pressure, should I ever be worried about using say, a Fram filter vs an OEM Toyota or Motorcraft Filter?
First off, the Ultra flows very well, so I wouldn't be worried about it having more delta-p vs flow than any other filter out there. See test data in this thread.

If you use a filter that is specified for your vehicle then the bypass valve setting is most likely correct. And the bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design itself and how the media flows. That's why you can look at 10 different filters for the same exact engine and they will have a variety of bypass valve settings. A filter that flows better (meaning a lower delta-p vs flow curve) doesn't need to have the bypass valve set as high.

i currently used Fram Ultras on everything, this just came up on another forum and I had just assumed this was a non-issue.
I'm curious what this other forum discussion is about.

First off, the Ultra flows very well, so I wouldn't be worried about it having more delta-p vs flow than any other filter out there. See test data in this thread.

If you use a filter that is specified for your vehicle then the bypass valve setting is most likely correct. And the bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design itself and how the media flows. That's why you can look at 10 different filters for the same exact engine and they will have a variety of bypass valve settings. A filter that flows better (meaning a lower delta-p vs flow curve) doesn't need to have the bypass valve set as high.

I'm curious what this other forum discussion is about.

it was on an F150 Ecoboost forum and the OP posted about how he got his 2012 Ecoboost to 200k miles including maintenance and any repairs. One of his comments was that he only uses motorcraft filters because they have a lower delta P compared to aftermarket filters.

I doubted this was true but I also had never really thought about it nor seen it discussed.

One thing that seems to be true is that the Fram Ultras have a large filter area. Lots of pleats that are deep. I noticed this when I switched my GX over to a Fram Ultra since that is a cartridge style filter so I could see them side by side. Assuming the media isnt insanely more restrictive, I would imagine the larger surface means better flow.

it was on an F150 Ecoboost forum and the OP posted about how he got his 2012 Ecoboost to 200k miles including maintenance and any repairs. One of his comments was that he only uses motorcraft filters because they have a lower delta P compared to aftermarket filters.

I doubted this was true but I also had never really thought about it nor seen it discussed.
The only way he could conclude that claim is if he has test data showing the actual delta-p vs flow curve like shown in the link I posted previously. I doubt he has seen one, because nobody here has seen one posted here. He's probably in the misconception world where he believes all aftermarket filters are flow restrictive (high delta-p vs flow curve) for some reason.

I have however seen a delta-p vs flow curve for the Ford Performance FL820S racing filter and it was similar to the curves shown in the link above.

Back