Filter pictures HPL 0W30 6,000 miles, 2002 Volvo XC70

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
I have been using HPL 0W30 Euro formula in my wife’s 2002 Volvo XC70. It’s a mildly turbocharged 2.4 liter 5 cylinder. The engine has 286,000 miles, all original, nothing beyond seals replaced. It has a relatively new, and clean, PCV system. The engine itself is clean inside, through there is a bit of varnish (borescope through drain plug examination a while back).

Prior to the HPL, I used exclusively ACEA A3/B4 oils, from Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol. Intervals ranged from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles. Lately, it’s been closer to 5,000 miles.

The filter is a Mahle.

Of interest is the same carbon caught by the media as @wwillson saw on his filter in this thread:

The carbon is gritty, and while only a tiny bit is visible on the surface of the media itself, the filter likely had more captured in the media. I’ve had this car, and engine, for a bit over 200,000 miles, and I am surprised by both the carbon, which I haven’t seen captured in the filter in this engine before, and how dark the filter and oil had become over the 6,000 miles.

The engine is on its second run of HPL 0W30, and I look forward to seeing what the current filter (also Mahle) looks like when it comes out.

I would be speculating if I were to guess at the source of the carbon. Volvos are known to plug up their PCV systems, and that material is often similar in appearance - hard, black, carbonaceous. The PCV system is one potential source, and in that case, I’m glad for the cleaning. The ring lands/pistons would be another possibility, as carbon of similar appearance can build up there.

Either way, it’s clear that some form of cleaning is taking place.

Attachments

• CB587EF9-6F0C-41EB-9B09-4A53FCCC718B.jpeg
    CB587EF9-6F0C-41EB-9B09-4A53FCCC718B.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 7E894B51-C6B9-4A04-B64D-D95A7FCB3F13.jpeg
    7E894B51-C6B9-4A04-B64D-D95A7FCB3F13.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 401
  • C9DCA844-AC25-47A6-B83D-577181445F41.jpeg
    C9DCA844-AC25-47A6-B83D-577181445F41.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 394
Are you speculating that the HPL is cleaning some carbon that may have been left behind by the PCV system at some point prior to replacement? If so, seems a likely answer to me. But at 286k you have t have an in-depth knowledge of that engine. Impressive run with a small displacement turbo nonetheless.

Are you speculating that the HPL is cleaning some carbon that may have been left behind by the PCV system at some point prior to replacement? If so, seems a likely answer to me. But at 286k you have t have an in-depth knowledge of that engine. Impressive run with a small displacement turbo nonetheless.
The left behind carbon in the PCV is one possibility. Carbon subsequent to the replacement is another. Pistons and or ring lands is yet another. Turbocharger bearings would be a possibility as well.

I have no way of knowing.

But I will keep running the HPL and cutting up the filters. I have to confess that this is the first filter I cut.

So, there is a possibility that this is normal, but I think that unlikely because I have always examined the filters previously, and I think I probably would’ve seen it in the depths of the pleats, as I did on this. No way to know for certain.

As far as the engine itself - original block, head, and turbo. Several sets of plugs. A few timing belts. Engine crank and cam seals (the result of a failed PCV system, which led to the PCV system replacement.).

But the big parts are original. That alone is gratifying.

In fact, the transmission is original, too. As is the angle gear and rear differential. All are known to fail on Volvos but I believe that a lack of specified fluid changes on all of those parts is largely to blame.

I have been using HPL 0W30 Euro formula in my wife’s 2002 Volvo XC70. It’s a mildly turbocharged 2.4 liter 5 cylinder. The engine has 286,000 miles, all original, nothing beyond seals replaced. It has a relatively new, and clean, PCV system. The engine itself is clean inside, through there is a bit of varnish (borescope through drain plug examination a while back).

Prior to the HPL, I used exclusively ACEA A3/B4 oils, from Pennzoil, Mobil, and Castrol. Intervals ranged from 7,500 miles to 5,000 miles. Lately, it’s been closer to 5,000 miles.

The filter is a Mahle.

Of interest is the same carbon caught by the media as @wwillson saw on his filter in this thread:

The carbon is gritty, and while only a tiny bit is visible on the surface of the media itself, the filter likely had more captured in the media. I’ve had this car, and engine, for a bit over 200,000 miles, and I am surprised by both the carbon, which I haven’t seen captured in the filter in this engine before, and how dark the filter and oil had become over the 6,000 miles.

The engine is on its second run of HPL 0W30, and I look forward to seeing what the current filter (also Mahle) looks like when it comes out.

I would be speculating if I were to guess at the source of the carbon. Volvos are known to plug up their PCV systems, and that material is often similar in appearance - hard, black, carbonaceous. The PCV system is one potential source, and in that case, I’m glad for the cleaning. The ring lands/pistons would be another possibility, as carbon of similar appearance can build up there.

Either way, it’s clear that some form of cleaning is taking place.
Looks like it’s doing good. Thank You

An update. Another 6,000 mile run. Same oil. Same Mahle filter.

Same carbon. Heavy deposits on the bottom of the pleats, but carbon particles in the folds of all the pleats.

I had planned to stretch the change interval out, but as the oil got very dark, and I’m finding the carbon, I’m going to stick to 6,000 mile intervals, until it settles down a bit.

Same oil back in. HPL Euro 0W30.

Just ordered another case.
F8FF9731-69E8-4A29-B936-73D7E9AD0C3A.jpeg

Fascinating.
2AAEDD26-2E17-43A8-9496-A8B56DD947D4.jpeg

Same carbon. Heavy deposits on the bottom of the pleats, but carbon particles in the folds of all the pleats.

I had planned to stretch the change interval out, but as the oil got very dark, and I’m finding the carbon, I’m going to stick to 6,000 mile intervals, until it settles down a bit.

View attachment 141109

Fascinating. View attachment 141108
Very good results Astro14👍🍻🇺🇸

This is interesting info. My ‘06 V70R is due for oil change 2K miles from now. Will be sure to cut my filter media to “open it up”. I’m pretty sure that my filters did not have that gritty catch in the past, except perhaps the one immediately following the PCV system service 20K miles ago. Last couple OCI have been Rotella 0w-40 T6. Astro- did you replace the PCV baffle box or re-use it?

View attachment 141109

Fascinating. View attachment 141108
Are you gonna borescope the oil pan? In your initial post you mentioned that you saw varnish. With these deposits I'm curious to know whether it's varnish from the pan. I would hope so since as you said the engine was otherwise clean inside.

Are you gonna borescope the oil pan? In your initial post you mentioned that you saw varnish. With these deposits I'm curious to know whether it's varnish from the pan. I would hope so since as you said the engine was otherwise clean inside.
I just changed it and didn't borescope the sump - but that is a good suggestion and I will try to remember to do that next oil change.

Back