Filter Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Friend of my got some motorcraft oil SJ ...
And he is afraid that there maybe some dirt in the bottle .. He would like to filter it before pouring to engine ... Any ideas for filter media ?

Thank You K.

A couple of coffee filters.

I would just take the bottle to the recycling center and then go buy a new one. It won't break the bank and removes all risk.

question is, how edid dirt get in there? What size dirt?

Big stuff may settle with time, small stuff may stay suspended.

Coffee filters are good, if you can get the oil through...

Thx Guys,

Well this oil was purred from the DRUM ...
I think small particles .. I will tell him the risk of using it ...

If the bottle is sealed, his fear is unfounded.

I've used 1998-vintage SJ oil in the last couple of years w/o issue - oil and bottle were as clean as a new one. Just pour it and go!

I'd filter it through a lint free paper towel before putting it into the engine, and I would let the engine sit for several hours before starting to make sure all of that oil has run down into the pan and will be pushed through the oil filter before it reaches any critical engine parts.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If the bottle is sealed, his fear is unfounded.

I've used 1998-vintage SJ oil in the last couple of years w/o issue - oil and bottle were as clean as a new one. Just pour it and go!

+1- Shake it up and pour it in, shaking shouldn't even be necessary but it won't hurt. If he wants to filter it, use the funnel filters painters use to strain paint before adding it to a sprayer, they work extremely well. HTH

That oil is perfectly good to use,if it's from a drum i still don't see how dirt can get in there,ours our always clean,just filter it somehow and run it..

even if there's a particle or two in it the engine filter will grab it....

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Forget paint strainers and paper towels.
Use the coffee filters.

I've tried coffee filters before and the oil wouldn't go through them unless it was hot. It took 15 minutes for the 3oz of hot oil I drained from my catch can to go through a coffee filter.

Maybe it's just the filters I use.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Forget paint strainers and paper towels.
Use the coffee filters.

I've tried coffee filters before and the oil wouldn't go through them unless it was hot. It took 15 minutes for the 3oz of hot oil I drained from my catch can to go through a coffee filter.

Maybe it's just the filters I use.

The paint strainer worked better than a coffee filter for me. It does take a pretty long time with the paint strainer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back