Filter diesel fuel before using it

Hi everyone, you are always well prepared for my curious questions.

I have about 1000 liters of diesel which has been stored in plastic canisters for about a year.
(it was supposed to be used in an emergency but then it was never used).

It's automotive diesel, so it's perfectly legal to use it in car.

I noticed that the tanks generated a slight black sediment.

First of all, I thought of sucking the diesel from the tanks with an electric pump, avoiding sucking the bottom.
I'd like to try filtering it before using it.

I tried to use a FFP2 mask used as filter paper and it immediately turned black but above all it is extremely slow.

I also proceeded to put a biocide but it doesn't seem to change much.

How can I filter the diesel before using it?

Use the electric pump to push the diesel through a filter, or to suck it through. There's diesel filters that just have fuel lines fastened by jubilee clips. Look at the Smart forfour diesel filter, or mitsubishi colt.

If that's too expensive use a fuel filter for carbs

Hi everyone, you are always well prepared for my curious questions.

I have about 1000 liters of diesel which has been stored in plastic canisters for about a year.
(it was supposed to be used in an emergency but then it was never used).

It's automotive diesel, so it's perfectly legal to use it in car.

I noticed that the tanks generated a slight black sediment.

First of all, I thought of sucking the diesel from the tanks with an electric pump, avoiding sucking the bottom.
I'd like to try filtering it before using it.

I tried to use a FFP2 mask used as filter paper and it immediately turned black but above all it is extremely slow.

I also proceeded to put a biocide but it doesn't seem to change much.

How can I filter the diesel before using it?
Try using a Mann WK 42/1 or WK 42/2 (if you want a clear body)

OIP.l1HlMjxfryHxfkEMe6RFfQAAAA

Not a bad idea at all!

I am in doubt between:
WK 820/1
WK 42/2

Obviously I think of fixing the outlet pipe from the pump to the filter inlet and then, the filter outlet to the pipe that will go into the car tank.

When components of diesel fuel oxidize and settle out, you will see the oxidation products as black settlement in the bottom of the tank. Just get an inline filter with good capacity and you'll have clean fuel again.

I think the question should be, what's the best bang for the buck in filtration? A FL-1A size oil filter is big enough but you'd have to buy a pretty expensive mount for it.

You can get a 10 pack of cheezy inline filters and an electric fuel pump for under twenty bucks. Filter as you dispense it into your vehicle or whatever. You can also filter the barrel back into itself, let it run for a day or a week until it stops clogging filters.

You can also look at how they filter home heating oil, if those kits are cheap enough.

You need to make sure it isnt biological. There are tests for it that are relatively inexpensive. If it is biological growth it might be a bunch of junk fuel you have.

If it has been subject to a lot of temperature differential I would run it through a water separator at the same time.

If it has been subject to a lot of temperature differential I would run it through a water separator at the same time.
Objectively, I don't think the diesel fuel has experienced major temperature changes; it has always been stored in a (unheated) garage in the dark. The problem is that after a year the bottom of all the canisters has a black bottom deposit.

The diesel fuel had been purchased at the time from several fuel pumps and a biocide had been added to it (will that have done any good?).

Because I don't get to filter diesel fuel very often if not I would equip myself with a serious filtration system with also water separator
lator

In the end, I got a HEP-02A pump (like the one you recommended), a beautiful WK 820/1 filter, three meters of 8mm hose suitable for diesel fuel, and metal clamps.

I connected the pump to the filter outlet so the it works with already filtered diesel fuel.

- Dirty diesel tank
- Hose
- Diesel filter inlet
- Diesel filter outlet
- Hose
- Diesel pump
- Clean diesel tank

I have already filtered a few canisters with much success. Fantastic

Back