Filter delivery!

When 98% of your family drives Honda’s, you stock up. Everyone harps on Wix for the baseplate bypass but I like it. Can’t find them locally because I believe they’re changing the design. Rock auto shipped for $60 something total.

Attachments

• 312084B9-025D-486D-9130-49424211A2FF.jpeg
    312084B9-025D-486D-9130-49424211A2FF.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 218B5B03-58E3-4BAC-BE49-7BD53BBE8C88.jpeg
    218B5B03-58E3-4BAC-BE49-7BD53BBE8C88.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 82
  • B0767824-130C-46CF-BF07-54D890361DCD.jpeg
    B0767824-130C-46CF-BF07-54D890361DCD.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 440BA1DB-5238-4D44-89E5-86206A9AF79E.jpeg
    440BA1DB-5238-4D44-89E5-86206A9AF79E.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 6DBC0829-F330-4D8E-90AC-2D86B614C36D.jpeg
    6DBC0829-F330-4D8E-90AC-2D86B614C36D.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 84
  • AFED63FF-BED7-4DC5-A96F-FB1E362F7858.jpeg
    AFED63FF-BED7-4DC5-A96F-FB1E362F7858.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 86
I have never heard of anyone complaining about the thread end bypass?
Maybe some because it makes the filter element a bit shorter vs a dome end bypass in the same size can.
It is a good design that works, but is more complicated and probably more expensive than a dome end.

I just received 3 NAPA Platinum 41356 filters from NAPA Saturday for $7.50/filter, and free shipping.

Last edited:
Get those baseplate bypass filters while you can. My Wix 51516 (NAPA1516) generator filter I used this morning is now dome end bypass valve vs. the baseplate model from last year.

The effects of the Mann Hummel purchase of Wix is slowly trickling in with changes and consolidation of filters - probably to eek out maximum profit.

Are those all 7317 equivalents? People like to harp on many different filters for many different reasons. I have given up on putting every single filter brand under the microscope and buy whatever is on sale/clearance or ADC/Supertech's. I run 6K OCI intervals on both of my cars and neither is going to blow up because of the filter I use.

Are you sure those filters aren't counterfeit? The paint looks a bit orange peeled at the bottom and the ink on the box doesnt look like the typical patented Wix black. Plus NAPA can be sketchy, like Walmart, as a retail seller. (This is sarcasm)

Are those all 7317 equivalents?

Yes in the sense that you can use a Fram 7317 in their place but they cannot replace a Fram 7317 equivalent filter on all applications. I made a similar themed thread about this recently which I have linked below:

Yes in the sense that you can use a Fram 7317 in their place but they cannot replace a Fram 7317 equivalent filter on all applications. I made a similar themed thread about this recently which I have linked below:

The oldest Honda in the fleet is 2012 so these filters are what they call for. Older Honda’s use the 3953a equivalent

I've noticed that RA has dropped the filter efficiency rating information on their oil filters. Probably going to cost them business here. First two things I look for Price and efficiency.

Even without the Purolator cheapening, the 57356 isn't one of Wix's best. The bypass designs leaves little room for media, and less media can't take a modern OCI, and Honda only wants you to replace the filter every other OCI

If your car takes this filter and you really want Wix, use the XP (Napa Platinum). It has the wire-backed synthetic media so it can handle a long OCI and has not (yet) been subject to Mann/Purolator's cheapening. I don't like buying filters in bulk for a common application. Napa puts the Platinum on sale a few times a year. it is on sale this month for $7.49

Fram is actually Honda's OE supplier, and the A02 is very close to a PH7317, and the TG7317 is much better than an A02 for the same price as one. Also, any 7317 has more media than a 57356.

I like Wix, but not on cars using a 7356 (unless the XP/Platinum is on sale). For a Honda, use Fram instead.

I have never heard of anyone complaining about the thread end bypass?
Maybe some because it makes the filter element a bit shorter vs a dome end bypass in the same size can.
It is a good design that works, but is more complicated and probably more expensive than a dome end.

I just received 3 NAPA Platinum 41356 filters from NAPA Saturday for $7.50/filter, and free shipping.

Yes, the shorter media element is the main problem with the Wix bypass. Not enough media to handle a 10k OCI, let alone the double OCI that Honda recommends.

I see Purolator mentioned again in regard to topic filter and Wix/NapaGold in general. Yet I've not seen one shred of evidence of any Wix (labeled)/Napa Gold spin on oil filter having any connection to Purolator US manufacturing. So my conclusion is that repeated misinformation is because of Wix happens to have same owner as Puro. If evidence to the contrary, post it up for all to see.

I also see the claim that topic filter not able to do 10k miles. Linked below is an NG7356 w/7100 mi. fci. You think it could make it another 3k miles? Oh, and on a Honda too. I'd have no problem using it two ocis as Honda 'recommended' either. But for $4, pointless to push it imo.

As for topic filter, I get the Napa Gold 7356 for ~$4 each twice a year at local Napa Gold sale so no need to buy in bulk. While the thread end bypass is nice, in concept at least, "if" Wix/Napa Gold were to switch to dome bypass, it wouldn't bother me at all. Both work fine ime. Keep in mind the XP/Platinum are ALL dome bypass from the beginning. And the WiX/NG beta show thier efficiency to be significantly better than the former.

While I like the 5/7356, it's not the only filter I use and have used. Recently I've used XG7317, Bosch Prem 3323 and because of being on sale even installed a Platinum on a Nissan Rogue. So not a Wix/Napa Gold exclusive user.

Last edited:
Are any new WIX/NAPA filters using louvers now ... and if so that might be a H+M/Purolator design factor thing creeping in.

As regards louver use in Wix/Napa Gold, query has to be 'strictly rhetorical' as that information in the affirmative has been post many times this subforum in last several years. In other words, nothing new. Even the 'topic filter clearly shows' their use in fourth pic, which look fine from what I can see. Anyone who regularly reads this forum over that time knows that answer. Subterfuge aside, still zero evidence of 'Purolator manufacture' of any Wix labeled/Napa Gold. 'Could be, even likely M&H influence, however that's entirely different thanPuro US sourcing/manufacture.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the question is focused on did louvers start showing up after M+H got their hands on WIX? And my comment had nothing to do with if Purolator is making WIX/NAPA Gold filters or not.

"Are any new WIX/NAPA filters using louvers now". Exact question. Not only now but for several years as stated and common knowledge for regular readers here. Question was not, did they start showing up after M&H acquisition. But that was answered anyway, as likely M&H influence since acquisition.

Good to see you agree no Wix/Napa Gold currently made by Purolator, which was main point of my first reply here.

You forgot the rest of my comment: "... and if so that might be a M+h/Purolator design factor thing creeping in." Then I clarified in post #14. Enough hair splitting.

So the question still stands ... did louvers creep into WIX/NAPA after M+H got hold of WIX? Apparently yes.

Nope didn't "forget it". Left it out on purpose because mentioning the "if so" and "Purolator design" with louvers implies that Wix got the design from them.

As for hair splitting, ironic coming from the master of the form.

The exact question "Are any new WIX/NAPA filters using louvers now", accurately answered twice.

Last edited:
Nope didn't "forget it". Left it out on purpose because mentioning the "if so" and "Purolator design" with louvers implies that Wix got the design from them.

As for hair splitting, ironic coming from the master of the form.

The exact question "Are any new WIX/NAPA filters using louvers now", accurately answered twice.
Maybe you're the new hair splitting master, lol.

Well ... if they did go louvers because of the M+H/Purolator design and acquisition, then my implication would be correct.

The clarified question was actually: ... did louvers creep into WIX/NAPA after M+H got hold of WIX? And: Yeah, but the question is focused on did louvers start showing up after M+H got their hands on WIX?

Last edited:
Back