Filter Cup/Wrench for PL14610 and PL10111?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a Filter Cup/Wrench for a Purolator Pureone PL14610 and PL10111. I'm tired of having to bother my Uncle for his all the time. He got his quite a while back, and I'm not sure what kind it is, but it does work quite well.
Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions for a good one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

After using this filter removal tool I gave away all the others I had, it works that well. They make a larger one as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Car-Fi...8888&sr=1-1

Just bought this same tool...AWESOME! I was amazed. I could not budge a filter put on at some auto shop (same size as yours) I'm a strong guy and I tried everything I could and had to give up. Ordered this tool, came off like nothing.

Last edited:
I just use a large pair of channel locks with the jaws open as far as they will to to remove these tiny filters. It crushes the sides in a bit but it works fine. When I put them on, I just use my hand to tighten them up-never had one leak.

Quote:
After using this filter removal tool I gave away all the others I had, it works that well. They make a larger one as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Car-Fi...8888&sr=1-1
Same cap wrench available in store at AutoZone for ~$6. Difference is it called an OEM Brand an AZ Great Neck tool. Fits same size as above for half the price.

I have several cap wrenches, one for 14610, and band style wrenches, rare I wouldn't find something that doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
I'm looking for a Filter Cup/Wrench for a Purolator Pureone PL14610 and PL10111.

I never have to use a cup/wrench on the PureOne since the grippy yellow surface is great for hand tightening. Of course if you can't get you hand on it then you may need a wrench.

Good point about the hand tightening on the P1. But, sometimes on removal when the filter/engine is hot, a cap wrench helps to get it started.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Good point about the hand tightening on the P1. But, sometimes on removal when the filter/engine is hot, a cap wrench helps to get it started.

I always wait until the filter cools off so I can grab it. Let the oil drain awhile and do other checks under the hood for 30~45 min.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ncguy
I just use a large pair of channel locks with the jaws open as far as they will to to remove these tiny filters. It crushes the sides in a bit but it works fine. When I put them on, I just use my hand to tighten them up-never had one leak.

No way you could get channelocks on the filter of my truck or the daughters Civic, there is just no room. But with that adjustable tool it just goes on the end and stays there while you reach up with your square drive extension and turn the filter off. I wish I had found this tool years ago.

Though I don't have the adjustable cap wrench posted above, I have several cap wrench sizes. I prefer the cap wrench combined with a ratchet. Occasionally though, the band type can fit better in certain filter orientations where the filters end is not easily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back