Filter Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any fool with a hacksaw and a tape measure can tell which filter has the most media. More pleats doesn't always mean more area. Quality of the media is another matter.

This is one of the few direct comparisons I have seen between a WIX and anything else. Who can say the WIX media is enough better to make up for there being less?

Does Fram use some super media that makes up for having 1/3 as much as AC?

Considering how may engines survive Frams, should we all be using ST or whatever we find cheap?

Originally Posted By: brian12

This confirms my belief that wix filters are overrated.

Amen to that. They're an OK filter. There is much better out there for the same or less price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Originally Posted By: brian12

This confirms my belief that wix filters are overrated.

Amen to that. They're an OK filter. There is much better out there for the same or less price.

OK... start sharing that list of filters that are "much better for the same or less", please.

Originally Posted By: glenncof
I would guess the right one is Purolator based on the media but they don't use metal clips on media.

Oh yea...no Purolator string

The current Purolators share nothing with the old ones. I am afraid another fine old name has been bought out and cheapened. Unlike Fram, there was a time when they looked as good as others in their price class.

I decided to change (easy and no mess) just the oil filter in my 2009 CTS4 and here is what I discovered. The OEM filter is made in USA and the AC Delco filter in made in Mexico. So its not that they don't have the means to build them in USA but that they choose to build the AC Delco in Mexico. (note-CTS built Nov. 2008 in Lansing, MI)

Note--2,689 miles on the filter with oem Mobil 1 5W-30 (oil not changed, OLM says only 81%).

click on thunbnail for large pic

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I'm surprised at Wix being substandard since they are one of the major OE and aftermarket manufacturers out there.

I don't see it as being substandard. It depends what the standard is you are trying to meet. It looks like the AC filter is a fine looking filter and would hold more. However which filter is better because of a better media? Since most people do not run long oil changes where holding more is important the media and its filtering ability would be more important.

There are many variables that even we don't really understand like the bypass setting, flow rate etc.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I'm surprised at Wix being substandard since they are one of the major OE and aftermarket manufacturers out there.

I don't see it as being substandard. It depends what the standard is you are trying to meet. It looks like the AC filter is a fine looking filter and would hold more. However which filter is better because of a better media? Since most people do not run long oil changes where holding more is important the media and its filtering ability would be more important.

There are many variables that even we don't really understand like the bypass setting, flow rate etc.

I agree with the ZZman. More pleats don't make a better filter. It may trap more debris,but at what cost?? A piece of shale will filter the best but don't plan on getting any oil flow through it. Here in the BITOG world, oil filters are changed anywhere between 2k and 12k OCI's. Unless an engine is self destructing or abused, oil filters are no where near their capacity of trapped elements when they are replaced. For me, oil flow is more important than a filter packed to the hilt with the most pleats that can be folded within the canister.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
I decided to change (easy and no mess) just the oil filter in my 2009 CTS4 and here is what I discovered. The OEM filter is made in USA and the AC Delco filter in made in Mexico. So its not that they don't have the means to build them in USA but that they choose to build the AC Delco in Mexico. (note-CTS built Nov. 2008 in Lansing, MI)

Champion certainly has manufacturing capabilities in Mexico.

The Valucraft oil filters that are available at Autozone appear to be "Hecto in Mexico" e-core Champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back