Filter Change Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had a mechanic at his shop that did the brakes on the car and forgot to pump them. He reversed right through the door before it was fully open. The doors were close to the hoist but there was a bump in the floor you had to give it a little push of the accelerator to get over so he had no chance to react and stop in time. Thousands in damage to the aluminum/glass roll-up door and the customers car.

There is a saying most of my dad's family (Italian) live by... "Measure Twice, Cut Once" - Always double check!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
I did one better on an old Mazda pickup I purchased for my older son:

1. Pulled into the garage, put the hood up, took off the oil cap.
2. Went under the car positioned the waste container, removed the drain plug, let the old oil drain.
3. Removed the oil filter, filled the new oil filter, and installed the new oil filter.
4. Did my normal checks, tire pressure, other fluid levels, replacing the PS fluid, ect.
5. Got my the new M1 10W40 HM oil and poured it into the engine.
6. Put the oil cap back on and started the engine.
7. Sat there and wondered why the engine was noisy.........

Forgot the pesky drain plug.

eek.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by PimTac
You have likely taken 10 miles of life off of that 500k mile engine.

I find that I have to double check everything I do. Sometimes triple check. I stick to a routine on my oil changes and anytime I miss something it's because I broke that routine or got interrupted.

Wait until you are SS FRA. Then how many times will you need to check something?

I'm already taking the Rocking Chair though I'm not at full retirement age.

In my case I will go into the storage room to get the oil and as soon as I get there I cannot remember why I went there in the first place. Senior moments.

I have put a box of cookies in each area I might go into. If I go in and cannot remember why, I grab a cookie and say it must have been to get a cookie.

crackmeup2.gif

11.gif

thumbsup2.gif

GENIUS!!!

You are in good company. Once upon a time, I put a filter on and the old gasket was still on the filter mount.

It leaked.
wink.gif

I make sure I know where the old gasket is now!!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by hatt
I changed the oil in the Camry yesterday. I got the filter housing off. Cleaned her up real nice. Put on the new orings. Buttoned her up and added oil. Reset the maintenance light, started her up, and filled out the maintenance log. Dumped used oil in jug and cleaned up everything. While putting away the tools noticed a pretty, brand new oil filter sitting there on the bench.
mad.gif

I need to find a Jiffy Lube sign to put on the front of my workshop.
crazy2.gif

Good news is it's probably just fine to reuse the filter anyway.

HAHA consider it good practice. You and all of us are going to make mistakes, there's no way around it and this is a minor one. Count your blessings brother.

Originally Posted by wemay
I changed the oil in the Camry yesterday. I got the filter housing off. Cleaned her up real nice. Put on the new orings. Buttoned her up and added oil. Reset the maintenance light, started her up, and filled out the maintenance log. Dumped used oil in jug and cleaned up everything. While putting away the tools noticed a pretty, brand new oil filter sitting there on the bench.
mad.gif

I need to find a Jiffy Lube sign to put on the front of my workshop.
crazy2.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

That made my day, thanks for sharing. Well written too.

lol.gif

I agree ^^^^^

Well this World Champion typing this left the darn cap on the used oil container underneath my car.... Old oil draining which was very hot by the way... I come back outside to find hot hot oil filled to the brim and slightly overflowing the used oil container .. well... To fix such a dumb problem yours truly had to get ones hand into that rather hot oil and unscrew and get the top out of the used oil container so that it could actually drain properly... That was absolutely awesome
lol.gif

Cat litter used to clean up the oil that had spilled... And hand with minor burns later... Mission completed. I have changed the oil in my cars and my lady's cars well over 100 times plus... That was the most world championship thing I have managed to do yet
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
How tight did you tighten the drain plug??????

I hit it with a 3/4" impact for a few seconds. Should be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

LOL!

I've done worse. I once used a traditional oil drain pan to do one of my Rams. 3 gallons of oil came shooting out (height, gravity, and a 22mm drain hole) of the drain hole into the pan. It came down so hard that it turned the pan into a water slide, launching all but about half a quart straight out of the pan.

I use a 5 gallon bucket these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back