Filter Change Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in the Camry yesterday. I got the filter housing off. Cleaned her up real nice. Put on the new orings. Buttoned her up and added oil. Reset the maintenance light, started her up, and filled out the maintenance log. Dumped used oil in jug and cleaned up everything. While putting away the tools noticed a pretty, brand new oil filter sitting there on the bench.
mad.gif

I need to find a Jiffy Lube sign to put on the front of my workshop.
crazy2.gif

Cleaning the housing, changing the o rings and filling out the maintenance log but not changing the filter!
lol.gif

Hey man, at least you did not strip the housing or the drain plug. You're not at the Jiffy Lube level quite yet!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Cleaning the housing, changing the o rings and filling out the maintenance log but not changing the filter!
lol.gif

Hey man, at least you did not strip the housing or the drain plug. You're not at the Jiffy Lube level quite yet!

Don't forget about leaving the old filter gasket on the oil filter mount so the vehicle can have 2 gaskets sealing the oil filter.

Originally Posted by Miller88
How tight did you tighten the drain plug??????

I hit it with a 3/4" impact for a few seconds. Should be fine.
thumbsup2.gif

You have likely taken 10 miles of life off of that 500k mile engine.

I find that I have to double check everything I do. Sometimes triple check. I stick to a routine on my oil changes and anytime I miss something it's because I broke that routine or got interrupted.

Originally Posted by hatt
I changed the oil in the Camry yesterday. I got the filter housing off. Cleaned her up real nice. Put on the new orings. Buttoned her up and added oil. Reset the maintenance light, started her up, and filled out the maintenance log. Dumped used oil in jug and cleaned up everything. While putting away the tools noticed a pretty, brand new oil filter sitting there on the bench.
mad.gif

crazy2.gif

2nd rule-of-thumb is never get cleaned up enough where you fill out the paper work and reset lights on the dash - then get dirty all over again dumping oil and cleaning up the tools.
How backwards is that?

1st rule-of-thumb is to have all the parts for the job, right there on the floor - in front of the vehicle - in clear sight of you, as you begin the work of crawling under that vehicle.

Clear your head of anything past or future when beginning this job. You only should be thinking about the present. Don't be thinking about that argument with your lady earlier - or that lousy job that's been dogging you for weeks now.

Stay focused on what you are doing right now..... but not quite 24/7. There are other parts of the day - like laying in bed, or relaxed on the sofa, to focus on the earlier lady remarks and work-job ahead. Unexpected series of events or set of circumstances cease, before crawling under the vehicle. For if they don;t, then you become at-risk of a serious accident, like not securing the vehicle on jacks.

I did one better on an old Mazda pickup I purchased for my older son:

1. Pulled into the garage, put the hood up, took off the oil cap.
2. Went under the car positioned the waste container, removed the drain plug, let the old oil drain.
3. Removed the oil filter, filled the new oil filter, and installed the new oil filter.
4. Did my normal checks, tire pressure, other fluid levels, replacing the PS fluid, ect.
5. Got my the new M1 10W40 HM oil and poured it into the engine.
6. Put the oil cap back on and started the engine.
7. Sat there and wondered why the engine was noisy.........

Forgot the pesky drain plug

mad.gif

crazy2.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

That made my day, thanks for sharing. Well written too.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I stick to a routine on my oil changes and anytime I miss something it's because I broke that routine or got interrupted.

Exactly!
Only times I've made simple mistakes was when I was trying to do more than one thing at a time.

The human brain is not designed to thoroughly complete more than one thing at a time.
Attempting to do so is futile when you consider the additional time it'll take to undo/fix your mistakes.
coffee2.gif

I find that I have to double check everything I do. Sometimes triple check. I stick to a routine on my oil changes and anytime I miss something it's because I broke that routine or got interrupted.

Same here.

I think you might be able able to swap the filter without loosing a huge amount of oil.
Maybe a 1/4 quart ?

hahaha

I've been changing my oil filters every other OCI for years. It'll be fine.....and welcome to the every other OCI filter club!
wink.gif

Wait until you are SS FRA. Then how many times will you need to check something?

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
I think you might be able able to swap the filter without loosing a huge amount of oil.
Maybe a 1/4 quart ?

hahaha

The fix was pretty easy. The housing has a drain and installs vertically. I drained most of the oil from the housing into clean container, removed housing, inserted filter, and reinstalled the housing. Didn't loose any oil.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I've been changing my oil filters every other OCI for years. It'll be fine.....and welcome to the every other OCI filter club!
wink.gif

I had already removed it. And it had already seen 2 OCI. The 2nd OCI was clearance GTX that I only planned to run 5K so I left the Fram Ultra in there.

Originally Posted by Donald

Wait until you are SS FRA. Then how many times will you need to check something?

I'm already taking the Rocking Chair though I'm not at full retirement age.

In my case I will go into the storage room to get the oil and as soon as I get there I cannot remember why I went there in the first place. Senior moments.

Originally Posted by Donald

I'm already taking the Rocking Chair though I'm not at full retirement age.

In my case I will go into the storage room to get the oil and as soon as I get there I cannot remember why I went there in the first place. Senior moments.

I have put a box of cookies in each area I might go into. If I go in and cannot remember why, I grab a cookie and say it must have been to get a cookie.

Reminds me of the time I dropped the transmission pan on my 240sx. Dropped the pan, removed the filter, cleaned the pan up nice and shiny, got all the fuzz off the magnet, cleaned the mating surface on the trans, put a nice new gasket on the pan, just a tiny bit of the red aviation sealant all over, put the pan back on, torqued all 9000 of the little bolts just perfect so as to not crush the gasket... let it dry an hour or so. Came back, poured in four quarts of the new ATF, started it up and shifted it through PRND21.... everything perfect and done. Left the engine running to go check the level on the dipstick, got out of the car.....

..........and looked over and saw my brand new trans filter sitting sitting on top of its box on the work bench next to me, and the old filter sitting in the pan soaking in all the old ATF.

I invented several new expletives that evening.

Originally Posted by quint
Reminds me of the time I dropped the transmission pan on my 240sx. Dropped the pan, removed the filter, cleaned the pan up nice and shiny, got all the fuzz off the magnet, cleaned the mating surface on the trans, put a nice new gasket on the pan, just a tiny bit of the red aviation sealant all over, put the pan back on, torqued all 9000 of the little bolts just perfect so as to not crush the gasket... let it dry an hour or so. Came back, poured in four quarts of the new ATF, started it up and shifted it through PRND21.... everything perfect and done. Left the engine running to go check the level on the dipstick, got out of the car.....

..........and looked over and saw my brand new trans filter sitting sitting on top of its box on the work bench next to me, and the old filter sitting in the pan soaking in all the old ATF.

I invented several new expletives that evening.

Oh man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back