Filling Rear Differential - Should I Add More Fluid?

Limited Slip 373 9.75 Ford Differential.
I put in 3 quarts M1 75W-140 LS friction modified gear oil with (1) 4 oz bottle of Ford's friction modifier.
I probably wasted 8-10 ounces with pre lubing gears, axle bearings, axle shafts and splines before and during reassembly, with probably 2-6 ounces wasted from overflow, spillage, etc. while lubing parts.
When filling, with the vehicle level, the fluid did not come out of the filler hole. My understanding was that this is the stopping point when the system is full.
I cannot see how far below the filler hole the fluid is, and cannot tell by feel with my finger.
My options:
1) Leave as is, knowing there may be a few ounces less than 3 quarts of fluid, plus the friction modifyer
2) Buy another bottle of Gear Oil and fill until it comes out of the filler hole as originally targeted
3) Add another 4 ounce bottle of Ford Friction Modifier (which I have), keeping in mind I have already added 1 bottle to the already fortified gear oil I have used.

I want to do it right and price is not an issue.
What would you do?

I'd buy another bottle of gear oil and fill it until it drip out. You came this far. Might as well finish the job properly. Of course, you'll probably put in a tiny amount and it will start to overflow. But at least you'll know it's done right. Using a pump is much easier if you're not already using one.

Does it specifically call for filling until it starts overflowing?

I know my Tacoma calls for the level to be a little bit below the fill hole.

Fill it to the proper level. You want it level with the lowest point of the fill plug, [ starting to running out] or a hair below which you would easily see or feel.

OP, why were you pre lubing?

Originally Posted by john_pifer

That sounds crazy to me. Why didn't they just design the full hole a little lower?!

Originally Posted by gathermewool

That sounds crazy to me. Why didn't they just design the full hole a little lower?!

So you don't make a mess on the shop floor.

Option #2

One thing that I learned is to give the fluid time to settle down before checking.

I noticed when this when I filled my diffs until they dripped out and immediately reinstalled the plugs.
I went back to check them the next day and none dripped out. Apparently, it takes a little
while for the fluid to level out. YMMV

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by gathermewool

So you don't make a mess on the shop floor.

No, it's a serious question? You don't just drain and refill the diff?

Besides, it sounds like the OP spilled some anyway.

My vehicle calls for the "1/4inch to 1/2inch" below the fill hole.

It seems to me (and everyone else) that filling to the base of the fill hole couldn't make a difference.

Perhaps the gear oil churns too much at that level?

After seeing those "clear diff cover" videos it's hard to imagine it could make a dime's worth of difference.

How can you do this: "pre lubing gears, axle bearings, axle shafts and splines before and during reassembly"

and not know how to check the oil level? Just wondering.

Add more oil if you cannot touch the oil level with your finger through the fill hole.

Regarding prelube:
The axle shafts were pulled to replace seals and bearings. Since the bearings are lubed with differential oil, I wanted to prelubricate them so they don't run dry until the fluid gets to flow to them. Also prelubed axle splines before installing.

I agree . Purchase another bottle of gear oil / lube ( it is not that expensive ) & fill until it runs out . Then replace the the " plug " & call it good .

On my 2000 Expedition, the proper axle fill was something like 1/4" to 1/2" below the fill plug level. So, it wasn't just a "fill it until it runs out" kinda' deal. I actually used a very small hex key wrench to check the level after adding the specified quantity.

Check your factory service manual, or subscribe to an on-line servicing information site, to get the correct level for your Ford.

Back