Filling out applications/ Application Questions

Hi All,
Some of you here may be well versed or have some experience in this topic, so all relevant help is appreciated. I've been applying for jobs like crazy, but have noticed quite the variation of questions on applications. Some places are literally your info, phone number, address, and some ask if you've ever been forced to resign, or have been :Involuntarily terminated" from a job. Now I was laid off from a dealership years ago and was told due to finances they're laying me off. Now I was told that in Colorado it is illegal to ask this and that a company can only ask if I worked at the place of employment by several people. Supposedly places state that "They don't discriminate" on any part of the application process, and not being 100% truthful they can disqualify you. Now how can they ask this, why? AND If you were laid off due to circumstances beyond your control does this really ruin your chances at a job interview. Thanks

I do a fair amount of hiring on projects and here is what I have learned from all my HR classes I have taken on this subject over the years.

You can literally be asked anything that doesn't violate law.

Many of these questions are designed and given in HR seminars by PhD's to get you to stumble and then evaluate the answers against predetermined outcomes (I didn't believe that until I went to the training). There are actual courses on asking questions and evaluating answers.

Some companies have policies that they don't give any information except acknowledging employment date ( lawsuit protection)

I would suggest you doing a detailed search on the items I addressed because there's a lot out there on how this works and if you are in the search pipeline, you need to know about how it works and how to work within it because its not straight forward or even fair in many cases.

Need more data, PM me

Do not be discouraged by questions asked on an application, you cannot control whether or not those questions are there.

If you find a job that sounds perfect, find the hiring manager on linkedin or the company website and reach out to them via email asking for a time to talk.

A layoff is not involuntary termination, so answer “no”. As for forced to resign, that may be considered a constructive termination in most states which is a violation of the law and exposes the employer to civil lawsuits. Answer “no” to that question too. People switch jobs because they are seeking career growth that is all the reason you need to give, and if people didn’t quit their jobs there would be no job market. I would also ask the interviewer why the last guy quit.

Applications and interviews are two different things . I've never had any issues with application questions other than the part about previous experience can get a bit long winded .

Being "Laid Off" is not the same as being fired. You should answer no. If it is ever brought up you can explain. The main thing when filling out an application is to not raise red flags. You should be turning in a resume with that application that goes into greater detail.

The main thing when filling out an application is to not raise red flags. You should be turning in a resume with that application that goes into greater detail.
I've done a lot of hiring. You should have a cover letter that relates to the job and have tuned your resume to be relevant to the position. Applying for a vast number of jobs isn't how you get a job. Having a relevant application that gets you an interview for "this job" gives you a real chance.

We've often had a pile of applications (dozens at least) for jobs. You want your application to get past the quick review (the no, no, no) part of the process.

Sometimes an application stands out as exceptional. But that candidate may not get the job. More than once I've hired the person who barely got an interview, who didn't even have the best credentials, but had the right attitude. And those people have turned out to be exceptional employees.

I agree that the right attitude helps a lot.

I don’t want a person with a 4.7 GPA and terrible attitude.

I’ve only had to fill out one and got the job. I walked in for the interview dressed as a mechanic they looked at my certificates and said I was hired and they would see me Monday and I could come Saturday to drop off my toolbox. So I am not very experienced at it and unfortunately the application was online so it was hard to fill out but it only asked name, number, and had I ever been convicted of a felony and had I had any previous work experience. It was really easy.

Sometimes an application stands out as exceptional. But that candidate may not get the job. More than once I've hired the person who barely got an interview, who didn't even have the best credentials, but had the right attitude. And those people have turned out to be exceptional employees.
To give an example: I had advertised for a health care professional in a specific and well defined area. There were 3 qualified applicants, 2 with PhDs and one with an MSc. As part of the interview process we gave all 3 candidates a dozen practical problems to quickly review and discuss. Most of the problems were easy to moderately difficult and all 3 did a good job on them. When we got to the really tough problems, both PhDs would say - this one is too hard, I'd have to ask an expert. The person with the MSc made a good effort at every example and could explain how she had come to her conclusion.

Who would you hire? A person with the top credentials or the person with lesser credentials who is willing to take on the tough problems and then do a credible job.

I hired the MSc person. She fit right in, got right to work and did a good job. I later sponsored an educational event and had a room full of experts. The MSc person gave a very good presentation in the expert's field and received a number of very positive comments ("best discussion I've heard in years"). At last count we were sponsoring the MSc employee's studies towards getting her PhD.

Back