Fillers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Substances used to make up volume of a product and does not add to performance of product. In other words, inert material.

Kinda of like the hams that you buy and they say 5% water by volume. Water does nothing but fill.

Dan

Mola,

I think it would be corrosion and oxidation inhibitors. These are nice to have in an oil, but not required. They are normally less expensive than other additives or base oil. Just a WAG.

cheers.gif

I can't say that I've ever seen it used in Lubrication literature. Can you provide an example?
Otherwise I will have to agree with Dan...dyes,fragrances, waxes from insufficient refining...
dunno.gif

In greases it is the solid additives, such as molybendeum disulfide, graphite flakes and teflon in some cases.

59 Vetteman gets the Long John Silvers buffet with a bottle of Pepto-Bismol. And Cryptokid's response is also correct.
tongue.gif

quote:

In greases it is the solid additives, such as molybendeum disulfide, graphite flakes and teflon in some cases.

A lube oil and especially greases may contain fillers, usually an inorganic element such as zinc oxide, copper oxide, molybendeum disulfide, graphite flakes. Some organic fillers are teflon.

Teflon is usually considered a thickening agent in some greases, but can also be considered a filler. When used in oils, it's only use is that of a sound deadener.

Zinc oxide or copper oxide may be used in greases for pipe fitting applications when threads are cut, and for drill rod applications. Another term for these types of fillers is "anti-sieze" compounds.

[ February 19, 2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back