Fiat with 500,000 miles... secret to longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Im sure that FIAT is a much better company these days and their cars will actually run. I just got a glimps of two 500's at one of our downtown festivals. A hard top and a rollback top convertible. Looks fun. Too much money but, looks fun anyway!

Park Ave fest? I saw a couple of them down there last Sunday. It looks like a cool little car. For their sake I hope Mini hasn't already saturated the "fun little car" market.

Yeah Nate, I was there Sunday!
smile.gif

The secret to longevity is California. FIAT were well known for rust. I didn't know about that russian steel and rust connection in FIATs.

Newer FIATs are very reliable. My parents own a second FIAT UNO (in Europe) and that car never brakes and it's 15 years old now (don't remember km, but they don't drive a lot). It was #1 selling car in Europe back in late 80s and early 90s and this is why.

I would guess FIAT is no less reliable than VW. Yet VW gets a lot of love around here...

I am perplexed as to why VWs are viewed as being very reliable in Europe and in the USA they are consistently on the bottom of the reliability scale (I've owned several and I tend to AGREE with the low ratings.)

As for FIAT, I think its a good looking little car -I like it more than the MINI as a matter of fact. -And if it has personality too, well than I would buy one over an AVEO or other "budget" ride.

All the remaining european car mfg´s has gone
through a quality "steelbath" in the last 15-20 years.
Compare the quality of a 1975 ford with a new one
today....was the 75 a good quality car, did it last long before needing repairs, did it rust ???

I quite like the Fiat 131 actually, especially of that era. It was the first car I drove with a manual transmission when I was in Turkey. They used to be the Crown Vics of taxi fleets there for quite a long time, because these cars are quite durable. The 131 is quite a simple car, and rear wheel drive. Too bad they don't make them like they used to.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I am perplexed as to why VWs are viewed as being very reliable in Europe and in the USA they are consistently on the bottom of the reliability scale (I've owned several and I tend to AGREE with the low ratings.)

The answer is very simple. In NA, VW along with BMW and Mercedes only offer models that have more features and electronic gizmos, to keep the premium perception. This extra stuff is what breaks most of the time and creates a lot of frustrations.

In Europe, on the other hand, you can have a stripped down VW with no power windows, same as any econobox here. You can buy a "simple" BMW and Mercedes with cloth seats, small, non performance engines and minimal electronic gadgetry. These models are not available in NA.

I had a 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Great car, DOHC, Weber carbs, 5 speed all syncro gearbox and 4 wheel disk brakes.

Great engineering for a 1970s car...but at 80,000miles/8years it was burning oil and howling in the wind from all the rust holes in the body. In Houston Texas, no salt, no snow.

My wife's 128 coupe had the front left suspension rust off from the frame. Fiat bought back her car for $1200.

I might buy a new Abarth 500 only because I am now so old that the car might actually out live me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back