FIAT Oil Reccomentations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
This is my first post in the Forum.
I have a FIAT PUNTO GT (1,4L engine, IHI turbo, 133HP,0-100:7.9sec,MaxSpeed:210Km/h...for those that never heard of it).
I'm using SELENIA RACING 10W-60 from the begining, but the engine has 145,000Km now and I was thinking of changing the oil into a thicker one(i.e 15W-50).
Any reccomentations for which oil brand to use and most important which type(i.e 10W-40,15W-50 etc)?
I'm thinking of SHELL HELIX ULTRA 10W-40 or BP VISCO 7000 SPORT 15W-50. Should I keep using SELENIA RACING 10W-60? Thw oil consumption is 650ml every 7,500Km, when I drain them of course.
Keep in mind that I live in Greece, in a city where the average temperature is from (-10 C) in winter up to (+42 C) in summer and turbo engines need extra care(in fact I can almost feel the engine burning in hot summer days, esecialy when driving inside the city).

Thank you in advance and sorry for my mistakes (in English)

welcome.gif

You're not going to get too many posts rom the US, Fiats haven't been imprted since 1984, I believe. I had a 1981 2000 Spyder that loved the heavier 40 and 50 weights. I used Castrol 20W50 but it never saw cold weather.

Marios: Hey, no need to apologize -- your English is clearly better than ours!

That's some especially "thick" oil you've mentioned there, but maybe that's standard stuff where you live. I'd be curious as to what your owner's manual says since I'm not familiar with European-market oils and oil weight recommendations. Luckily you have a warm climate there, so there's no need to worry about moving semi-frozen "asphalt" through the oil channels at start-up.

quote:

SELENIA RACING 10W-60 from the begining, but the engine has 145,000Km now and I was thinking of changing the oil into a thicker one(i.e 15W-50)

A 10W-60 IS (or should be) thicker at running temp than a 15W-50. The first # is the winter viscosity and -10°C is 5W territory!

I know nothing about "Selenia". Can you get an oil analysis of your used oil?

Welcome Marios!

My girlfriend just got back from Greece. Her family lives in Athens and on the island Samos. Beautiful place!

As Pablo said, the 10w-60 is thicker at operating temperatures than a 15w-50. The 10w-60 also pumps better at low temperatures, lubricating your engine quicker than the 15w-50 could. I personally have never heard of SELENIA, but as far as oil weight, I think you have a good choice.

I would like to thank all of you guys for replying to me!
smile.gif

I think I'll stick to SELENIA, after asking some serious Fiat Tuning Improovers(both in Greece & in Italy), who verified to me that I can't find a better oil for Punto - GT especially - other than SELENIA RACING 10W-60!!
TC wrote: "Marios: Hey, no need to apologize -- your English is clearly better than ours!"
I appologised because I've passed the Cambridge Proficiency in English Language examinations (ESOL-CPE)2 months ago and I'll be inexcusable!
Once again, I thank you all guys and I'll reccomend this forum to many car maniacs here in Greece!!

PS: Nobody made any comments for my Fiat's power&acceleration!! Anyone with up to 2.0L engine for a race??
cool.gif

had two fiats before they gave up on the epa. a 76 1.8 brava and a 79 strada. Used castol 20/50 with good results. the strada made it to 200,000 miles (333,000km) before someone else bought it and I believe is still running. the last three years of ownership were here in texas, temps go up to around 40 to 45 c no problems with the oil, only those &^%*&* weber carbs. don't know if that helps any...

quote:

Originally posted by sciroccoGTX16V:
ah, a Fiat Punto, turbo... how many people got killed racing that car? keep the 10W-60 and upgrade to a colder fan switch in summer

None that knew how to drive!!!
wink.gif

Don't act like those "wise guys" here in Greece who state that the faster the car the most likely to got killed!!
nono.gif
thumbsdown.gif

It's primarily a matter of driver first and all the other factors just follows....
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by marios:
Anyone with up to 2.0L engine for a race??
cool.gif

Well, if you come to Poland, I'll give it a shot with my A4 1.8TQ chipped.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Although given the small weight of your Punto, you'll still probably leave me in the dust. Maybe I'll have a better chance if the pavement is wet.
wink.gif

As far as your original question, 10w-60 is probably as thick as it gets, so if you want 'thick', stick with it. Now, if you're not confident in the Selenia brand (personally, I don't know much about it), you might try Castrol TWS 10w-60. It seems to be the local favorite for turbo applications. My mom's Volvo dealer uses it in her V40 (2 liter turbo - here's another one you can race
grin.gif
).

Personally, I don't quite understand why the dealers here insist on using such thick oils even though the owner's manual only recommends something like 5w-40. Same thing with my dad's '99 Nissan Primera (2 liter non-turbo). The manual says 5w-40, but the dealer uses 10w-60.
shocked.gif

I run Mobil1 0w-40 in my A4, and I'll be switching to Castrol SLX 0w-30 (the German Syntec as the US folks call it
wink.gif
) most likely at the next oil change. We've seen excellent results with thinner oils in this engine, despite the fact that it's turbocharged. But in your case, since you have relatively high mileage and have always used thicker oil, I would certainly not recommend it.

Best regards!
cheers.gif

Hello Quattro Pete
smile.gif

If I'll ever come to Poland, I'll race you for sure!
cool.gif

Now, back to the subject, I think I'll stick to SELENIA 10W-60. Every owner of GT I find here in the city I live, he uses that only!
Thank's anyway for your answers..
Regards

quote:

Originally posted by marios:
Hi everyone!
This is my first post in the Forum.
I have a FIAT PUNTO GT (1,4L engine, IHI turbo, 133HP,0-100:7.9sec,MaxSpeed:210Km/h...for those that never heard of it).
I'm using SELENIA RACING 10W-60 from the begining, but the engine has 145,000Km now and I was thinking of changing the oil into a thicker one(i.e 15W-50).
Any reccomentations for which oil brand to use and most important which type(i.e 10W-40,15W-50 etc)?
I'm thinking of SHELL HELIX ULTRA 10W-40 or BP VISCO 7000 SPORT 15W-50. Should I keep using SELENIA RACING 10W-60? Thw oil consumption is 650ml every 7,500Km, when I drain them of course.
Keep in mind that I live in Greece, in a city where the average temperature is from (-10 C) in winter up to (+42 C) in summer and turbo engines need extra care(in fact I can almost feel the engine burning in hot summer days, esecialy when driving inside the city).

Thank you in advance and sorry for my mistakes (in English)

welcome.gif

Hi Marios,
Quattro Pete said almost everything , i just have to add that oil consumtion seems to me normal considering the type of engine and milage.
If you are really searching for something heavier ,there is motul 300V.
10W40 for winter ,15W50 for summer but it may cost you a few hp...

[ November 21, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: yannis ]

Hi there...
I finally found MOBIL 1 15W/50 in Greece, once it wasn't sold here for a long time!
I intent to use it for the first time after having 150.000Km's with SELENIA RACING and no problem at all!
Well, don't ask me "then, why you are changing the Brand of the oil?"....I just found MOBIL 1 in a price not much higher than the SELENIA one....SELENIA RACING cost here 41€ (4l) and found MOBIL 1 for 46€!!
grin.gif

Ι'll let you know if I found any difference...

hey man! youre doing great w/ your spelling-in fact, ill bet you use the more correct Oxford english spelling than anyone else else here!

anyways, i would defintely say so with either the BP Visco 7000 0w-40 in winter (more power) or AGIP 10w-60 in the summer(all year round). youve got plenty to choose from id imagine so have fun!! Oh, and personally, id stick to the Selenia myself-if its been working so far as it too is a good oil. Or perhaps Elf. anyways, good hunting!

Hi marios,

Selenia is a FUCHS licensed product merchandised via FIAT and an excellent one too

I would not have changed to Mobil 1 15w-50 if it had been my choice - I would have stayed with what you were very successfully using

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back