Fiat Freemont spotted today=Dodge Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exact same vehicle. Shameless. Had a manufacturer plate on it. Wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't behind it in traffic.

That's a dumb and lazy way to build a Fiat lineup in the US. I guess the geniuses at Chrysler/Fiat decided the brand needed the ubiquitous "AWD crossover mall family utility adventure thing" to get sales.

They would be much better off making Fiat a niche brand with its own vehicles. Sure, they probably won't sell in huge numbers, but neither will a rebadge of a very uninspiring vehicle (aside from the engine). Couldn't they have at least changed the body work a little?

This sort of stuff is what finally killed off Isuzu passenger vehicles. They never dominated the SUV market, but Troopers and Rodeos were pretty common back in the 1990s. They were good enough for Honda to sell them as the Passport and SLX. When they hit hard times in the 1990s and couldn't afford to design replacements, GM gave them the TrailBlazer, previously cloned four times already (Olds, Buick, GMC, Saab versions), and the Colorado. Didn't work, Isuzu died. Now all they sell is light/medium duty commercial trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Jeez, slap on the Fiat logos, raise the price a little- BAM! FIAT!!!
Yep, there is a sucker born every minute.

Maybe it's being tested in the US for European consumption? IIRC Europe's supposed to get the Freemont pretty soon. Seeing how it's basically a Dodge it makes sense to have the vehicle tested near the factory...

How would y'all feel if you could buy it here... but with a diesel engine under the hood?

Yep. The Freemont has diesel engine options.

That'd raise some eyebrows.

Hang around the roads around Chrysler Technical Center or the Chelsea proving grounds long enough, and you'll see a bunch of Alfa Romeos that are never going to see a showroom in the U.S. either. I live near GM's Milford proving grounds, and I'd like to have a nickel for every Opel I see on the roads here. European Fords aren't so easy to spot, but I'm reasonably sure I've seen at least a couple of European Foci running around on I-96 in the last year.

As an aside, it was kind of cool when I saw my first Chevy Volt last summer (in the parking lot at O'Reilly's in Brighton on a Saturday morning) but then they just got old after a while...

The Journey-based Fiat is for European markets, not the U.S. You're not going to see a Fiat Freemont next to a 500 at your local dealer anytime soon.

That said, it's is supposidly doing very well in Europe. In early Sumer, the Toluca plant had to increase product to keep up with demand.

It will do well in Europe, the Journey is one of if not the best offering from Chrysler right now. I like it quite a bit, both exterior looks right down to interior styling and the new engine option. Nice vehicle.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Hang around the roads around Chrysler Technical Center or the Chelsea proving grounds long enough, and you'll see a bunch of Alfa Romeos that are never going to see a showroom in the U.S. either. I live near GM's Milford proving grounds, and I'd like to have a nickel for every Opel I see on the roads here. European Fords aren't so easy to spot, but I'm reasonably sure I've seen at least a couple of European Foci running around on I-96 in the last year.

As an aside, it was kind of cool when I saw my first Chevy Volt last summer (in the parking lot at O'Reilly's in Brighton on a Saturday morning) but then they just got old after a while...

I don't live too far from you, and I see a lot of cool cars with manufacturer plates. Everything from Holdens, to Alfas, to Euro Foci, etc. There is a guy who's car I see on a weekly basis, an Alfa Giulietta. It's a pretty nice looking car. I heard they are going to re-badge it as a Dodge and sell it here
33.gif
all because of ignorant American consumers.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
It will do well in Europe, the Journey is one of if not the best offering from Chrysler right now. I like it quite a bit, both exterior looks right down to interior styling and the new engine option. Nice vehicle.

It's also practical. Have you seen how many darned storage compartments that thing has on the inside?!

Don't Forget about the new Maserati SUV, based on the Durango,
the upcoming Caliber replacement based on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, ...kind of, same platform but widened to "Suit American Tastes"(More like "to suit American Waists" says the 300Lb guy) which they apparently did to the 500 as well.and should be made in Belvedere IL, where Chrysler has made the Caliber, Neon,etc.

and that current Chrysler products are being rebadged as Lancias in Europe as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back