Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group exploring merger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Originally Posted by addyguy
Our neighbour had a 1970's Peugeot 504 wagon.

Awkward looking thing, but apparently very reliable over 10+ years of use.

It was standard, and I remember it had a really long, bus-like gear shifter...looked horrible to use!

Those were one of the best ever Peugeots - indestructible!

Yep...actually I owned a 505 wagon (manual trans) and that was also a fantastic car as well, very durable, not expensive to maintain and extremely good handling and comfortable with great seats! Also drove a 505 sedan with a diesel which was terrific.
I wanted a 1991 Peugeot 405 Mi 16 but didn't have the money at the time. Also unfortunate that Peugeot never sold the amazing 205GTi here back in the 80s ! Better than a VW Rabbit/Golf GTI by far.

I had a 505 diesel and loved it!!! Always felt it needed a 5th gear though
smile.gif
I went for 300K without ever needing a wheel alignment, great ball joints. Then PSA pulled out and gave the sales responsibility to Chrysler, well non need to tell you how that panned out.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I can only imagine the Chrysler legacy costs that PSA would have to carry.

I have a feeling this is what has killed any deals in the past. The rumors start and get built up only to be deflated by the pullout of the other side.

If the Chinese with big money backed out then I'm not so sure the French won't do the same.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I can only imagine the Chrysler legacy costs that PSA would have to carry.

I have a feeling this is what has killed any deals in the past. The rumors start and get built up only to be deflated by the pullout of the other side.

If the Chinese with big money backed out then I'm not so sure the French won't do the same.

Not to mention the merger would create a lot of excess capacity in Europe and reducing that capacity is a political hot potato.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I'll allow the merger if they bring back this sweet piece:

[Linked Image from consumerguide.com]

I was working at a Dodge store when these first debuted, and you know something, they were darn good cars for the money! Now sure early on they had some issues, but once that first year was over and the bugs ironed out, they were reliable, VERY fun to drive, not expensive to maintain and got good MPGs!

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I'll allow the merger if they bring back this sweet piece:

[Linked Image from consumerguide.com]

I was working at a Dodge store when these first debuted, and you know something, they were darn good cars for the money! Now sure early on they had some issues, but once that first year was over and the bugs ironed out, they were reliable, VERY fun to drive, not expensive to maintain and got good MPGs! Probably one of the most fun cars Chrysler had made in decades! The next generation wasn't nearly as good! They have had a racing series for these and you could actually buy a street ready racing version!
Came in two door coupe and sedan forms. The weakest part of the design was the frameless windows but other than that they were good.

Peugeot has voted to agree to the merger. FCA will vote next. It does look like a done deal.

I wonder what they are going to call it? PSAFCA?

Peugeot has voted to agree to the merger. FCA will vote next. It does look like a done deal.

I wonder what they are going to call it? PSAFCA?

I vote for SACFAP Motors
banana2.gif

So....maybe it is a good thing that I did not buy a Buick TourX, which is built by OPEL, which is owned by PSA. No incentive for Fiat-Chrysler-PSA to continue parts availability past the minimum mandated quantities.

Whatever they call it, Peugot is going to lead it.

The end of Chrysler.

Even though they are calling this a "merger" I don't think you'll see Chrysler stop operating as a separate entity for the most part. If anything I think that
Peugeot will give Chrysler MORE autonomy not less than FIAT. It will finally give Peugeot a decently functioning dealer network to sell their own products from as well, but again I think the service departments will be split.

Originally Posted by MI_Roger
So....maybe it is a good thing that I did not buy a Buick TourX, which is built by OPEL, which is owned by PSA. No incentive for Fiat-Chrysler-PSA to continue parts availability past the minimum mandated quantities.

I have been saying for at least for the last year or so that a TourX is destined to become an "orphan."

Despite of this there are those on here that seem to think that they are a "good buy". The depreciation will be as heavy as the boat anchor they will eventually become.

The end of Chrysler.

Even though they are calling this a "merger" I don't think you'll see Chrysler stop operating as a separate entity for the most part. If anything I think that
Peugeot will give Chrysler MORE autonomy not less than FIAT. It will finally givea decently functioning dealer network to sell their own products from as well, but again I think the service departments will be split.

Over at auto extremest . com -Peter seems to think this deal WILL HAPPEN. Peugeot has some good small CUV's that would fit nicely in to their (FCA's) portfolio. Not everyone wants to drive a mini (i.e. Renegade) Jeep product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

The end of Chrysler.

Peugeot will give Chrysler MORE autonomy not less than FIAT. It will finally givea decently functioning dealer network to sell their own products from as well, but again I think the service departments will be split.

Over at auto extremest . com -Peter seems to think this deal WILL HAPPEN. Peugeot has some good small CUV's that would fit nicely in to their (FCA's) portfolio. Not everyone wants to drive a mini (i.e. Renegade) Jeep product.

Interesting point. FCA seems to be held up by Jeep and Ram. They do have the Durango but maybe Peugeot's crossover will fit into the lineup very well?

Edit: After checking out the article at the website mentioned by CKN, there is a lot to be said for Peugot to get bigger to compete with Volkswagen Audi Group and BMW Group. Maybe this is the main objective?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

The end of Chrysler.

Interesting point. FCA seems to be held up by Jeep and Ram. They do have the Durango but maybe Peugeot's crossover will fit into the lineup very well?

Yes-the current Renegade is what you drive-hoping to buy something better. PSA's small CUVs are pretty nice. Saw quite a few around Denmark a years or so ago.

Originally Posted by CKN

Yes-the current Renegade is what you drive-hoping to buy something better. PSA's small CUVs are pretty nice. Saw quite a few around Denmark a years or so ago.

I agree there are a number of really NICE Peugeot CUVs like the Cactus as well as Citroen vehicles that are really good and would compliment what Chrysler now has.
I hope Peugeot realizes that FCA is actually doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with and it might be a good idea to let the existing management keep on carrying on much as before. Don't try and fix something that isn't broken.

Last edited:
Both of these companies need a daddy with deep pockets.
Chrysler had one for a while but they bailed at huge cost.
All of the other potential daddies have studiously ignored both companies both of which have been shopped around for some time.
This all tells us something and it isn't that either maker will survive for very much longer.
Yes, we know that FCA sells plenty of Jeep and Ram branded vehicles.
We don't know what their margins are, though.
This merger is one of two smaller makers already swirling around the drain in a world of vast overcapacity as well as many financially stronger players better able to weather the next global recession.

This merger is one of two smaller makers already swirling around the drain in a world of vast overcapacity as well as many financially stronger players better able to weather the next global recession.

The key word may be "global".

Both Ford and GM have severed nearly all global brand ownership and affiliations. GM has part ownership of a bunch of Chinese manufacturers, one of whom builds the Buick Envision. GM still has Daewoo in Korea who builds the Buick Envoy and Chevy Trax, but Daewoo is on life support.

I am not confident which of the US makers will fold first, but a sudden turn of the market away from large trucks will be disastrous for at least one of them.

Last edited:

I am not confident which of the US makers will fold first, but a sudden turn of the market away from large trucks will be disastrous for at least one of them.

I'd say both FCA and Ford would be hurting if the market sways away from large trucks.

FCAs main point is the Ram lineup. Chrysler nameplate is what, 2 vehicles? Fiat from what I hear isnt doing so hot in the US with the 500 now, and Dodge is mainly sportier cars. Jeep has the best survival possible, since Jeep has a pretty set in stone market.

Ford is moving away from most sedans, and will eventually be full of FWD Not-SUV Mall Crawler "SUVs", mustangs, and trucks.

Shoot even GM might get some hurt, arent they getting rid of the Cruze, Impala, Malibu?

Anyway, yeah. Companies ditching sedans drives me crazy. I understand people want the space of a SUV but want the ease of maintaining and fuel economy of a sedan, call me old fashioned but just get a Wagon if that's the case.

TL; DR: Screw Crossovers. If you want a sedan with more space, buy a wagon. Screw CAFE standards, bring back 6-8L big block engines, sub 1$ gas, and sub 10mpg economy bonus points if it's in a Woodside Station Wagon. MAKE CARS GREAT AGAIN

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MI_Roger

It's not their responsibility to continue parts availability. It remains GM's responsibility
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back