FF's...we just got our FEMA grant!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woohoo!!! My dept today got our official notice of our FEMA grant for PPE. We currently have all different brands of old air packs and our turnouts are at least 10 years old. We are going to use the grant to standardize with new carbon cylinder air packs and PBI turnouts, both badly needed.

Basically, my fire dept. got a federal grant to buy new fireman stuff.
grin2.gif

Nice to be feeding on the slop trough of the tax payers .As an ex mechanic I had to buy my own equipment and tools probably over $10,000.

Not to deflate your elation here (sorry- I lied
grin2.gif
) ..but I just had a discussion with a volunteer at one of the local fire companies about this topic. Mainly it was about the cost of equipment and the funds needed to provide them. This is much along the lines of my objections to medivac use for routine injuries as a funding base for them. I got all of the like arguments "if your life is on the line - how can you put a price on it?" ..and my response was the same as it is for my school board or medical professional. I say that I don't put a price on these things, you and your suppliers do. You just want me to pay for it regardless of what it costs.

Congrats on the grant! Spend it wisely and tell the vendor to shove their price where the sun won't shine.

Keep in mind it's very easy to spend money without economy in a non-profit or not for profit environment when it's provided by someone else.
cheers3.gif

We are a volunteer department, so by donating our time we are saving the community hundredes of thousands of tax dollars each year by not having to pay firemen wages and benefits. There will always be that group that wants cheap homeowner rates, but gripe about us receiving a grant.

Originally Posted By: mikemc
We are a volunteer department, so by donating our time we are saving the community hundredes of thousands of tax dollars each year by not having to pay firemen wages and benefits. There will always be that group that wants cheap homeowner rates, but gripe about us receiving a grant.

No, not griping about your dedication to service to the community ..but have you ever wondered why the guy who sells you the $500k fire engine ..or the $650k Heavy Rescue ..or the $3k per fire fighter outfit ..is probably living VERY LARGE on your selfless work that tends to lead to someone saying, "How can you put a price on safety
frown.gif
21.gif
" ..meanwhile someone writes a very big check to that person. He has no trouble putting a price on it at all.

Good luck! Stay safe!

Originally Posted By: mikemc
Basically, my fire dept. got a federal grant to buy new fireman stuff.
grin2.gif

is that because the state can't afford to? $400M budget shortfall and they WON'T can any state employees to compensate. They will be happy to cut aid to local universities though, who cares about education in Kentucky?

Didn't say you were a volunteer in the post ,,,that is a whole different thing. I have got some fireman buds and with their pay they should provide their own equipment.

I can't speak for all paid departments, but I do know that some career guys do receive an allowance to purchase their gear. I won't get into state politics. My original post was simply to share with my BITOG friends my elation of receiving new gear to protect my buddies and I as we protect our small community. This will be my last post on this thread.

I'm really sorry I posted. Here you are happy to get some new gear and I let my bitterness for "non-profit" (or para-non-profit) institutions show its ugly head. There's a point in many such "selfless" institutions where the object/purpose of their being ends up merely providing the needed financial lubricant to run the machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back