FF 5w30, 1,864km, 2017 F150 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Attached is the first UOA from my new truck - a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Nothing too interesting to see here, that I picked up on anyway.

The oil and filter was changed when this sample was taken. I used Klondike sythetic 5w30 and a motorcraft filter.

I plan to complete a UOA at each oil change and post the results here, similar to what I did with my previous truck (2013 F150 Ecoboost). I'm interested to see the differences between the two generations of motors.

Klondike oil is a relatively obscure brand - I think it's only available in Western Canada.

Here is the data sheets for the oil I used. Let me know your thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Seems like we're seeing more and more evidence that the newer EB engines have less fuel dilution.
Admittedly the process Blackstone uses is not as robust as others, but still the trend seems encouraging overall from several UOAs recently.

I'm shaking my head at Blackstone's comments "viscosity is only slightly thin for 5w30" What?? At 7.98 it's not slightly thin, it's way thin for 5w30! If it started at around 10cst, then it's thinned out considerably in such a short interval.

They've got their "values should be" all wrong for 5w30. If going by the actual range for a 30 weight oil (which they should!) then it should read roughly 9.3 cst to 12.4. IMO, any time an oil dips out of grade, that should be flagged, so they need to update those values accordingly.

I have noticed several instances where Motorcraft 5w30 thins out to a 20 weight in a short time millage wise.

Congrats on the truck

I too changed my FF out at 2000kms.... Went with M1 0W30 AFE for the winter.
Im at 10000kms and changed it out to M1 0W40 FS and a Purolator Boss filter

Im running a 87 perf/tow tune

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back