Few questions from a newbie

So here's my thing...

Is there really any difference between buying some cheapo SuperTech or Amazon basics Full Synthetic vs another name brand?

I have a 2015 Kia Soul 2.0L with 116k miles. Owners manual says to use 5W-20 or (5W-30 in warmer climates). I live in Arizona, and currently due to the whole COVID-19 thing, I'm a package delivery driver for Amazon, so my car does either idle a lot, or get shut off & restarted a lot.

What would be my best option for ensuring the lifespan of my car? I've been using 5W-30 simply because I figured with the temps outside and with a lot of the run time off the engine at slow speeds that's probably better for it. Also been doing my oil changes every 3,500-4,000 miles.

Thanks for the help!

welcome2.gif

With your short change interval you are probably okay with whatever meets the owners manual specification. SuperTech should be fine. How much idling is a concern as it makes the mileage of the change interval more important.

Originally Posted by sloinker
With your short change interval you are probably okay with whatever meets the owners manual specification. SuperTech should be fine. How much idling is a concern as it makes the mileage of the change interval more important.

Idling is one of the worst things so mileage isn't as important. If you constantly idle get an hour meter then you can be sure mileage is correct. Since I don't have an hour meter and knowing I don't do it every day I do 6 month OCI with no regard mileage. I know it is older comparison but my father in law and brother in law each drove short distance every day and changed at 3k with both having to replace motor at around 80k
I drove alot (120 miles daily) and did 3 months never had motor failure due to sludge or oil. I always used conventional up and until recently. 40 years of driving and hour meter or months determine my oil change plans not mileage.
Personal plan as everyone has a plan

Seeing that you drive over 20K year, you are WAY over-changing your oil.

As long as you get some highway runs and a few trips a week are over 30min door to door you should be fine with at LEAST 7500 mile intervals.

ILSAC They all meet spec, but some oils like some engines better. What ever gets you the rated fuel mileage and provides good power and torque without excessive racket will be fine and dandy.

And over-changing the oil is not cheap insurance. It does NOTHING beneficial. It's not Cheap insurance.

Enjoy. I was out at Scottsdale, AZ for a wedding last November. Nice place once you are out of town.

In town is just overbuilt junk like most places these days,. with the added negative of scenery blocking, claustrophobic sound barrier walls along the highways. Man can people ruin nature.

Any 5W30 full synthetic that is Dexos1-Gen2 rated will work fine, including SuperTech, Amazon Basic, Kirkland, Napa, Mag1, Magnatec, QSUD, etc. Buy on price.

I would change every 6k miles.

To be honest, a good SN-Plus 10W30 Synthetic will probably work well for you too in that warm climate.

No diff in brands of oil that meet spec and you're changing too often. But you've heard that here already.

I've got the same car you have and it's five thousand with conventional (actually it's all semi syn) and up to six with group 3. Dropping it at four is a waste. Without an OLM i like to divide by five. Easy to remember.

i do like 5w30 but 5w20 hasn't given me any real probs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862

Idling is one of the worst things so mileage isn't as important. If you constantly idle get an hour meter then you can be sure mileage is correct. Since I don't have an hour meter and knowing I don't do it every day I do 6 month OCI with no regard mileage. I know it is older comparison but my father in law and brother in law each drove short distance every day and changed at 3k with both having to replace motor at around 80k
I drove alot (120 miles daily) and did 3 months never had motor failure due to sludge or oil. I always used conventional up and until recently. 40 years of driving and hour meter or months determine my oil change plans not mileage.

I'm with tiger862. How many miles are you currently driving per year? I know how to divide 116 by 5, but I don't know how much you currently drive per year. WIth what I "know"at this point, I would keep changing at your current OCI.

You are doing a great job in taking care of your "tool." I never go over 5k with synthetic even with 90% highway miles. 3K with synthetic on my wife's short tripper. Very cheap insurance in my humble opinion. YMMV

I'd just pick an oil you like (5W-30) and stick with it. I only use brand name oils. Does it matter? Probably not. I just have more confidence in Amsoil, Pennzoil, Mobil, etc than ST, Costco, Amazon, etc. Use what you are comfortable with. You may feel fine using Amazon 5w-30.

The change interval is much more important than the oil you use.

Aside from bitog, I get a lot of information from a podcast, "The Automotive Hour." It comes on weekly and you can email Lewis and he will answer any question within one day. He is a proponent of Mobil 1 every 3-5K with OEM filters. He has helped me a lot. I just wish his shop were closer as I would use him exclusively. He is BIG on diagnosis and has saved me money.

It appears I've driven 30k miles this past year. Phoenix is very spread out lol. Bought it at 83k in March '19 because of a not-at-fault accident that totalled my last vehicle (2014 Nissan Versa Note).

I'll give the podcast a listen.

Would it be better to not idle for the 30 seconds to a minute that I'm at a stop, and actually shut off the car? I know this puts added stress on the starter which to me isn't as easy of a repair as oil changes are.

Originally Posted by jdcnosse

Would it be better to not idle for the 30 seconds to a minute that I'm at a stop, and actually shut off the car? I know this puts added stress on the starter which to me isn't as easy of a repair as oil changes are.

I would lock the car while it idles, and come back to it ready to drive, start and stop are evil enemies to everything, ECU, starter, engine, battery, alternator, even the little push button thing will wear out if you get one!

Last edited:
Back