Few options to just replace tie rod and ball joint boots.

IMG_0568.JPG

I replaced both steering rack boots on the '03 Sequoia and saw the right outer tie rod boot was torn. Of course the manufacturers would never sell you just the boot when they can make ten times as much money selling you the part. So as much as I'm not a huge Dorman fan, they do come to the rescue with 5 different sizes of boots. Yes I know, if the boot is torn it's likely to have had dirt enter the joint, but it looked fine and felt nice and tight. Got the 9/16" version for $4 and looks to fit perfect.

IMG_0571.JPG

I'm anal retentive, so if I removed that joint it would be replaced. I wish, wish, wish I could have your common sense regarding wear items. Any chance you could put a link up for those boots?

I'm anal retentive, so if I removed that joint it would be replaced. I wish, wish, wish I could have your common sense regarding wear items. Any chance you could put a link up for those boots?

A new tie rod end locally would be $30. Rock Auto has them from $4 plus shipping but didn't care to wait until next week. Takes 10 minutes to replace if I have to later on, so no big deal

I hope the Dorman tie rod boots are better than their CV boots. I accidentally cut a CV boot while doing some other work earlier this year and bought a $30 Dorman split boot for replacement. The boot tore into shreads before I was able to get the glue joint closed. I took it back for a refund and ordered a Bailcast universal split boot out of the UK for about 1/2 the price. It took a couple weeks for it to get here but it's a very strong boot and is holding up good. Afterward I bought a second Bailcast to have around so if ever have another one tear or get cut I won't have to wait a couple weeks for delivery.

I attempted to install a Dorman boot once. I wasn't satisfied with it. The boot is too high and distorted when the tie rod nut was tightened down. The rubber is also thicker than the original boot. Perhaps I could have trimmed the rubber to fit, but I didn't bother. I tossed them in my tool box and I still have them.

I reinstalled the torn boot and replaced both tie rods 5-6 years later when they finally wore out.

Last edited:
wow, just in time for me to do this for my 08 lexus, what type of grease should I put in there? any suggestions for installation other then remove and replace the boot...

you guys are awesome, this will save money and I will keep my original tie rods, which are probably better then aftermarket.

Unless that tie rod is greasable, you're better off just replacing it. Those boots do not keep out moisture and grit, so it'll fail in short order. That style of boot is for older cars with greasable joints - to be greased liberally every oil change or every couple thousand miles. And being a Dorman rubber product, it'll probably just rot off in a few months time anyway.

Unless that tie rod is greasable, you're better off just replacing it. Those boots do not keep out moisture and grit, so it'll fail in short order. That style of boot is for older cars with greasable joints - to be greased liberally every oil change or every couple thousand miles. And being a Dorman rubber product, it'll probably just rot off in a few months time anyway.
thank you for that, replacement tie rod it is.

I've used the Energy tie rod boots and they are super high quality. The problem with these slip on boots is they don't seal perfectly so eventually water/grit will always get in. What you can do is drill a hole and do a DIY install of a grease fitting so that you can regularly purge out the joint. I did this on a vehicle and after 5+ years the joint is still good.

Nice. I noticed the tie rod boots on my car are starting to crack but havent fully cracked open yet. I bought the cheapest tie rod ends on rock auto just so I could steal the nice factory sealing style boots off and use them on my car. Cost about $10-$15 which was great for me considering what else i could find.

Back