Fertilizer Spreader

My Dad has 1 of those spreaders you attach to the rear of a Riding Mower. It spins fine in reverse, but going foward it barely spins. So I tried spraying around the plastic gearbox, and I got it to spin but with some noise. I drove around the yard and the spreader spinned, but once I added fertillizer it barely spun. I took the spreader in the garage and did what I could with some WD40 but it still makes a crunching sound going foward.

Is there a fix for this or do I just get a new spreader? I am almost thinking that something is probably stripped, the Gear Box looks like it is all plastic.

Some cheap fertilizers are very course and can cause the problem you exhibit. You might try increasing the setting some and see if that helps..

I have two older ones that I cannot find a replacement for because the handles on them are the perfect length (I'm 6'4") and all the newer ones that I have looked at have short handles which force me to lean over to use, exacerbating my back issues.
Even the one that I have for my tractor (I use less frequently) does as well.
Every year, I get them out and liberally flood the guts with penetrating spray and spin the wheels until they smooth out.
They always do. In my experience, I have concluded that dust, residual product, etc get in the gears and cake things up.
Generally takes a while, but they always smooth out and function well.

I just bought a new fertilizer spreader this morning.... LOL.

Everything is wrong with my old one. Two flat tires, the on/off spreader control is broken, and the gearbox slips if I put too much fertilizer in it. I bought it probably around 15 years ago, and the parts to fix it (even if I could find them) would very likely exceed the cost of the new one.

So many of the new ones that are $50 -$60 are literally throw aways. This one should last at least several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Earthway spreader that has worked for the past 20 years. Quality lasts.

a push spreader will be 1000x more precise when spreading fertilizer. And with at least a 6 ft swath it really doesn't take long to push it around the yard.
Being that my Dad is 81 years old and he has a 1 acre property a Push Spreader is out of the question. He went ahead and got another spreader where he can take the screws off the Gearbox and clean it out if need be.

Buy a cow? Grass in, fertilizer out and they move on their own and don’t need oiling. Whats not to love.

Back