Ferrari Enzo oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share a little info I learned at my Ferrari dealer yesterday.

An Enzo came in for an oil change. It takes 10w-60 Shell Helix oil at a whopping $61.59 a quart. The Enzo takes about 11 quarts of the stuff. If you do not use the "special" oil Ferrari recommends then, the warranty on the car is voided. Total price for the oil change was $1200.00. I guess if you can afford a $660,000 car then a $1200 oil change is no biggie, not to mention the $30,000 it takes for a brake job(ceramic rotors, pads, labor). heh

Hmm, did you learn this at your Ferrari dealership, or from a back issue of Car and Driver?
wink.gif

C&D mentioned that $30,000 brake job too, which prompted a funny letter to the editor the following month. The person suggested that if the brakes alone on the thing cost $30k, then it's probably incorrect to call it a "car".

jeff

I did not know know Ferrari would release those numbers to the likes of a magazine. That Modenese company is very mysterious about all things concerning the mechanics and pricing of thier cars and parts. They figure that if you need to ask, dont get the car.

The F50 was even more difficult to own than the Enzo. F50's were a *lease only* vehicle which Ferrari could terminate at any time. They did take a few F50's away from clients. I can't imagine what that repo guy looked like.

A total gouge, but probably of no concern to someone with that kind of money.

But if I were that rich, I wouldn't pay it. I'd get it done using quality lubricants and labor at a reasonable price and if something fails, I'd pay for an independent engineering analysis to prove that it wasn't my fault so Ferrari would have to fix it anyway. Might end up costing more, but still nothing significant and it would be a fun little conflict. Plus, it would give my assistant something to do.
fruit.gif

I have to agree with you. There is no way I would put that Helix garbage in my Enzo. Heck, I would even do all the work myself.

Here's another point. The Maserati MC12 uses the same engine as in the Enzo and is even MUCH more expensive then the Enzo(about a cool million) yet recommends a completely different oil. AGIP 15w-50 is what they are using on the track with those.

Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss act disallow voiding of warranties if using other replacemnt parts and fluids if it meets the OEM specs? I believe it also says if a OEM says you HAVE to use a specific brand...then the manufacturer has to provide it to you free of charge.

So basically, if there is another 10w-60 oil out there that meets ferrari's required specs, they can NOT void your warranty in the USA for using it. That may be the kicker though, I don't know of another 10w-60 oil that meets Ferrari's required specs.

Hammer

So, who do you call if your preferred motor oil doesn't meet OEM specs? ("OEM" for the engine in question being F-E-R-A-R-R-I or M-A-Z-E-R-A-T-I)

ok im still shocked about the 8 quarts in the gearbox? is this one of the paddle shifters?

Yes it's paddle shift, I have a customer with one (detail cars, good highschool/college job) and it is pretty interesting. Not the easiest lines to detail though.

I wish Ferrari and Audi racing would distance (no pun intended)
grin.gif
themselves from Shell oils...we should distance ourselves from them too...just one Elfe Meister's opinion.

No worries - the Ferrari warranty is quite short - either one year or two, so maybe 4000 or 5000 miles for most Ferrari's.

I was the Ferrari dealer in Vancouver last year (looking at a mini-van) and I walked through the service bay with the salesman. There was a "gaggle" of F360's taking up space in the corner, and the salesman commented that the F1 gearbox (paddle shift) on the 360's tends to fail at around 25,000 miles if it doesn't get driven enough, and these cars ALL had the same failure, ALL had the same mileage and ALL were waiting for gearbox parts from Italy. NONE were under warranty!

I wish I could afford to have this problem...

Cheers
JJ

Johnny,

I wish Shell had not bought Pennzoil/Quaker State and impacted those oils as they were when you started out. I used to be a big fan of Shell but the more I hear/see about the performance of Shell oils, the further away I want to get. I believe it is indicative that the McLaren Mercedes SLR can live on an oil that costs comparably to any other synthetic but Shell has to put a $60/qt oil in an Enzo to keep it alive...unless you want to presume the problem is with the engine, not the oil. I have no negative comments to direct at the oil you sold when you signed on.
cheers.gif

It's interesting - the Castrol TWS 10w-60 that BMW insists you use in the M3 and the new M5 (optional on the V8 M5) is only $8.95 a litre at your friendly (relatively speaking) BMW dealer.

It's beginning to sound like a bargain!

Cheers
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back