Feral Cats, your new neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ran across this law that was passed in Cook County two years. I am a cat person, but for the life of me I can't see how this is a good idea. Basically, people can have feral cat colonies at their homes by following a few guidelines. They are supposed to neuter, clip the ears for identification purposes, give rabies inoculations, feed, and provide shelter for any number of "wild" cats that may happen to show up for a free meal. There is no limit on the number of cats, nor any provision for being responsible for any property damage, or injuries inflicted on other pets or people by these cats.

I find it hard to believe that people are going to do much more than feed and provide shelter to these animals. Feral cats are dangerous, the average person would have their hands full trying to catch, treat, and release these animals. Also, how would you like two dozen wild cats living in your neighbor's garage and using your backyard as their bathroom and hunting preserve? I can see the bird and squirrel populations near these colonies taking a nosedive, but I guess that's OK. I think the politicians have screwed up again.

Explanation of program:

http://www.pawschicago.org/animalwelfare/trap_neuter_return.htm#TNROrdinance

I'm more worried about feral people. Last week, when I was riding my bike through the park, a snarling feral person stumbled out of a shrub and lunged at me.
LOL.gif

Wow, that's such foreign reading to me. I live in pretty dense populated suburb, but its backed up against some national forest area. Wild cats get caught by wild coyotes eventually. The only people with a lot of cats are "cat ladies." I agree with that bird and small animal comment fully.
If the wild cats are attacking other peoples animals or causing property damage that is completely wrong.

Feral cats are a big problem in New Zealand because they decimate native birds.Prior to humans NZ had no predators,so the native birds nested on the ground,and many are flightless.Rats,stoats and cats are in their element in our dense bush,and the birds are easy prey.

As far as city suburbs go - feral cats are caught,neutered and released.I wondered about this until I asked what to do about the breeding stray cats around here.Cats are very territorial,and unless someone is feeding many,they all get their little space.If you take a cat out,another takes it's place - by neutering and releasing back into the same territory the population remains the same.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Cats are very territorial,and unless someone is feeding many,they all get their little space.If you take a cat out,another takes it's place - by neutering and releasing back into the same territory the population remains the same.

It sounds like you're saying the population will remain the same in either case, the only difference being the neutering? The idea of having a colony of these things next door just seems crazy to me.

"Any cat that comes in my yard I consider my cat. And I kill my cats."
Quote from an old boss of mine. He wasn't kidding. Between his Scottish Terriers and his pellet gun, he didn't have a problem with someone elses cats messing up his yard. I pity the cat that tried to claim space in his yard.

I have 4 ..but I always liked one guy's signature on the jeep board.

So many cats. So few recipes.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I have 4 ..but I always liked one guy's signature on the jeep board.

So many cats. So few recipes.

The guy's name is not Alf, is it?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cogito
Cats are very territorial,and unless someone is feeding many,they all get their little space.If you take a cat out,another takes it's place - by neutering and releasing back into the same territory the population remains the same.

It sounds like you're saying the population will remain the same in either case, the only difference being the neutering? The idea of having a colony of these things next door just seems crazy to me.

There was an article in New Scientist some time back about feral cats in Oz, and a University study. (Bear in mind a lot of our ferals are from Russian stock, and 12-14kG (lean) is relatively common.

If you shoot the tom, the next male steps up to the plate, and the breeding cycle continues untouched.

Neuter the tom, and he remains the tom, holding his position, and offloading blanks...reducing the numbers, but not eradicating them.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Quote from an old boss of mine. He wasn't kidding. Between his Scottish Terriers and his pellet gun, he didn't have a problem with someone elses cats messing up his yard. I pity the cat that tried to claim space in his yard.

Cats are nocturnal,he'll get 10 times as many if he stays up all night.Neutering has worked around here - I neutered a mother,her daughter,and then her daughter....the population has stayed stable.The females keep their territory,and the toms travel around on a service mission.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ

Cats are nocturnal,he'll get 10 times as many if he stays up all night.Neutering has worked around here - I neutered a mother,her daughter,and then her daughter....the population has stayed stable.The females keep their territory,and the toms travel around on a service mission.
sounds like the neutering didnt take

Originally Posted By: andyd
sounds like the neutering didnt take

Playing catch up.When I moved here the mother cat lived in the area,she had a collar and I just thought she came from a neighbour.She had a litter in an old car next door (Valiant Pacer for the Aussies)...I discovered she had no home,befriended her,and she had the next litter in our house.So I had her neutered,and her kittens too.But a female of the previous litter had kittens too - so I caught and neutered her,and then one of her female kittens.

We seem to be stable,but attrition means we have fewer cats around.Come summer,there might be some new arrivals.

(Valiant Pacer for the Aussies)...

I'll give you an address to send it to.

Hemi 4bbl perchance ?

My employer got rid of the very few cats that were hanging around the plant, now we are overrun with thousands of pigeons. Pigeon manure everywhere now. Cats weren't so bad!

Pigeons are filthy. They [censored] everywhere, people step on it and track it inside. They carry some nasty diseases. You're right, cats are a much better choice.

Sometimes you are the pigeon, sometimes the statue.

Flying rats they are.

Still, I don't think anything's worse than walking through 200 yards of duck faeces to get to the office...aka "the green mile"

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I'll give you an address to send it to.
Hemi 4bbl perchance ?

There were two,VG? I think.Both seem to be gone now.....maybe I should trim the hedge so I can have a peek over next door.

I used to visit foundries where feral cats set up residence. They were not only tolerated, but encouraged to live there, and controlled the vermin.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

There was an article in New Scientist some time back about feral cats in Oz, and a University study. (Bear in mind a lot of our ferals are from Russian stock, and 12-14kG (lean) is relatively common.

If you shoot the tom, the next male steps up to the plate, and the breeding cycle continues untouched.

Neuter the tom, and he remains the tom, holding his position, and offloading blanks...reducing the numbers, but not eradicating them.

A 30lb cat must be impressive, do they hunt yappy dogs too?
grin2.gif
You could export them as pest control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back