Fence post concrete question

I sunk a fence post utilizing several bags of quik crete brand fast setting post mix. I followed the directions to a tee of 1 gallon water per 50 lb bag of product.

It is normal for about a 1/2 inch of water to remain on top of the concrete? It has been about 2 hours since I poured and set the post and I still see water in there.

I did poke all the way down to the bottom of the 36" hole with a poking stick probably 50 times while it was fresh to incorporate water and powder.

Thanks all!

Is the ground wet ? The excess water might not have anywhere to go .
I just looked at it and now we are down to barely any water on top of it looks like it’s starting to turn a dark gray and solidify finally in the post is not moving at all so I think I’m safe now thanks guys for all the replies

The quick set no mix stuff works weird like that , but the water will eventually soak in.

When I did my fence, I did 1/2 bag of dry readymix at the bottom then mixed up 1.5 bags of it in the wheel barrow and dumped the rest in

If this is the product you used, you may have not followed the directions:

1 gallon water is for the dry mix method, and even then they use words like "about a gallon" and "depends on soil type". Otherwise, the instructions state 1/2 gallon water per bag.

The general rule I was taught was to error mixing these products on the dry side. Drier = stronger. It's easy to add just a bit more and turn it soupy.

Last edited:
Back