Fellow BITOGers, convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using M1 5W-30 on both my vehicles since their first OC. Vehicle #1 is a 2002 GMC Safari Van, currently has 72K. Vehicle #2 is a 2004 Saturn ION with 32K. I usually buy a 5 quart jug at WM for $20.87 which works out to $4.17 per quart. I live in the St. Louis area, have found an AutoZone in plentiful supply of GC 0W-30 for $4.99 a quart. Is the GC that much better than the M1? The same autozone wants $5.19 for an individual quart of original M1 5W-30 and $6.29 for M1 EP 5W30.

Matto

quote:

Is the GC that much better than the M1?

IMHO, Yes. However.....

Of course, it is totally application specific. There is NOT a "one size fits all" when it comes to an oil application. Too many variables.

Give it a try...you might like it! Or not. Only one way to know for sure.

SWHeat,

I will probably try out the GC when I change the oil next on the ION, which won't be until it hits 35K in about 6 weeks. Am I safe to assume the AutoZone will continue to carry this or do you recommend my buying as much of it as I can ASAP like some of the others who post here?

Your Saturn ION has an engine similar to mine I think - the 2.2L Ecotec. I believe the ION has the 2.3 Ecotec...

Anyway, GC is my choice after running Mobil 1 in my vehicle... Reason: Quieter start ups. With Mobil 1 there was a lot of knocking when I started up. Apparently this is common with Ecotec engines. Second, near redline or higher rpms the engine was noticably smoother with GC.

Third - I can get GC for a few cents cheaper at AutoZone.

NO! DO NOT USE IT! But, please, post directions directly to me on where this treasure, I mean, Oil, is located. Privately, of course.
lol.gif

2005matto - All 13 autozone's I've visited in California have a good supply of GC Gold. From what I've gathered from talking to AutoZone employees - the stuff sells really well! Several places said they'll always carry it (can you trust them)?

I was using Amsoil ASL 5W-30 in my 2005 Tacoma. I liked it just fine but I kept reading about this "GC". I changed my oil last weekend and what a difference. Seriously. The idle is definitely smoother. I'm still waiting to claim any differences in mpg but early indications would say it's only gone up and not down. I've still got 6 quarts of the Amsoil but I'll probably sell it because I'm hooked. I found a stash of 6 quarts of the green on Friday! Gold is very plentiful.

Stay with M1. The price will be better with M1. I used GC in my wifes altima and it killed her gas mileage. I went with synpower 5w30 and her mileage returned to pre GC MPG using M1. You results will vary because it is a different engine combo than mine. Mine is a 6 and yours is a 4 but my MPG loss was substantial.

NO! DO NOT USE IT! But, please, post directions directly to me on where this treasure, I mean, Oil, is located. Privately, of course.

lol.gif

HELLO 2005matto!

Wake up and smell the GC!!!
cool.gif

2005mato,

If there is green to be found...get it becaus it cannot be replaced. Or, as Titan said....you could send me a PM with directions and I'll take a three day weekend....NOT. Or, just use the gold and let someone with experience use the green.
wink.gif

SWHeat,

There is no "Green" at my AutoZone. The bottles all have serial #'s starting with "MO5", which I believe is the Gold formula.

Gold is a new'er formulation and should be just as good as the "green" - just not as special because it lacks the great smell and green color
tongue.gif

If money isn't an issue - use Amsoil. I've used it as well as Mobil, and currently GC. If I wasn't a college student I'd be running Amsoil because it is the best. Otherwise go with GC - cheaper than M1 at my AutoZone.

btw...
welcome.gif
to BITOG 2005Matto!
grin.gif

quote:

There is no "Green" at my AutoZone. The bottles all have serial #'s starting with "MO5", which I believe is the Gold formula.

MO5010 is still Green, anything after that is Gold.

I think its difficult for anyone to say with any certainty that it is or not. The question is will anyone here use one oil long enough to be able to get a really good trend analysis to make an informed decision? Prolly not.

To put an end to this thread, I went with the majority here and took the plunge. I went ahead and bought 10 quarts of GC. It will be stashed in the garage for at least 6 weeks before I do my first OC with it. Just changed my Safari Van oil 500 miles ago with M1. Will try it first in my Saturn ION. With all due respect to speedtc, I will try it for at least one OCI in both my vehicles and then decide whether or not to stay with it.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Gold is a new'er formulation and should be just as good as the "green" - just not as special because it lacks the great smell and green color
tongue.gif

If money isn't an issue - use Amsoil. I've used it as well as Mobil, and currently GC. If I wasn't a college student I'd be running Amsoil because it is the best. Otherwise go with GC - cheaper than M1 at my AutoZone.

btw...
welcome.gif
to BITOG 2005Matto!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
tongue.gif

btw...
welcome.gif
to BITOG 2005Matto!
grin.gif

I don't know Hacker.....I have been using Amsoil for a long time. I can get it for the same price as the GC...As a matter of fact, I can get Amsoil 5w40 for $4.95 qt....and I pay $5.19 for the GC...So, it is not a money thing. I think Amsoil is not as good as all of there own in house tests suggest.

Just my opinion.........

Coop0129 - Thanks to Pablo I became a Preferred Amsoil customer last week and see what you mean. I can now get Amsoil 5w30 cheaper than Castrol 0w30. So, I saved up a little and got 6 quarts of Amsoil's 0w30 and will use that to compare to GC's 0w30 in a 6 or 10k OCi UOA.
grin.gif

Yeah I don't know about all that testing but one thing for sure - it has to be a good oil. There is a guy in the UOA section who went 25k on Amsoil's 5w30 and the uoa was N I C E. He even has the same engine as I do. So it has to be good
smile.gif
How good? dunno, but good!
tongue.gif

EDIT:

Here is the UOA Link - 25k Amsoil 5w30:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=003323

Yeah, I can get it for that as well (Preferred Customer). But, I have to drive all the way to the other side of town to the Amsoil Wharehouse....It is a pain in the butt. Plus I like the GC. It may be even better than the Amsoil, and I can get it less than 2 miles from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back