Feedback on Lucas 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Too bad Lucas wasn't included in the PQIA tests.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/summarypagerev1.html

WalMart's SuperTech is somewhat of a sleeper. I'd take most of these dino oils over Lucas "synthetic".

If only i had all those choices over here..

But if it is dumping, if Lucas 5w20 had a price tag in the US similar to Supertech, would you prefer it, or still go to any of those dyno oils?

I saw a UOA of their 5w30, and besides having an above average boron value, that one looked ok, don´t know about their 5w20..

I did noticed it's a ILSAC GF-3 oil, and Supertech is GF-4..

Last edited:
A representative from Lucas would now like to make a statement...

redneck.jpg

"IT'S GOOD!"

Brilliant responses...
Lucas is their own worst enemy in a sense. I used to view the product line as band-aid additives for clunkers. I was turned on to their stuff through drag racing where I have over 100K in the car and over 40K in the motor. Ran Ow-20 pro stock oil in an application turning over 9600rpm with over an inch of lift on the cam. Suprise folks: tear down was perfect. Even the push rod tips looked new. Have several vehicles, and have been running their 5w-30 and 0w-40 for over 60K miles in a 6.0 2500hd pick up. Zero oil usage, runs great, and took a peak under the valve covers last month and all was like new. They now offer a grease that high end wheel bearing guys recommend that sells for $80 a tube. Free your minds gentlemen. Alternative is to keep staying up at night sweating ppm.

regards

Originally Posted By: lsxjon
Street. I run it in the Summer months when I do most of my towing.

Where do you find it at?

Which is what? What are you expecting the product to do for you? Its alot like medicine and pharmacology. A study may show a drug superior in terms of statistical significance, but in an actual clinical setting there is no difference. Not here to promote anything, just to help break up the group think that takes this board over from time to time. I look to people who build and race engines for product guidance, which is a greater function of application and less of having a brand preference.
fwiw: Lucas synthetic meets 5 now and carries the API starburst for 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30. All three have been reformulated over the past year.

I was turned on to their stuff through drag racing where I have over 100K in the car and over 40K in the motor. Ran Ow-20 pro stock oil in an application turning over 9600rpm with over an inch of lift on the cam. Suprise folks: tear down was perfect. Even the push rod tips looked new. Have several vehicles, and have been running their 5w-30 and 0w-40 for over 60K miles in a 6.0 2500hd pick up. Zero oil usage, runs great, and took a peak under the valve covers last month and all was like new.

Funny you never saw fit to mention any of this since joining the site. Only that you buddies use it because they get it "for free"
smirk2.gif

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=27745

Also to chide Mobil 1's 4-ball wear results...

Originally Posted By: buster
Lucas will evaporate quickly just as Mobil 1 ext will cause rapid wear due to poor four ball wear testing. FWIW, we just got done testing some n/a drag engines and the Lucas 0-20 pro stock oil was worth 8 hp over amsoil dominator 5-20.

Sorry but you are wrong. 4-ball wear doesn't mean M1 won't provide good wear protecion.

AMSoil's volatility test of Lucas "synthetic" 10w-30 came in at a HORRIBLE 40.4% evaporative loss, ASTM D-5800. RP came in at 11.2, 15 being the standard.

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2009_June_noack_volatility_test.pdf

Not a fluke..

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster
I think it's a bad sample or lab error. I'm confident it had to be a bad batch or something. No oil has a NOACK that high.

Actually I dug into this deeper:

Let me state a few facts.

1) Last time Amsoil checked NOACK on Lucas 10W-30 in the 2003-2005 time frame, they got numbers in the 30% range. This was a store bought sample back then.
2) This go around, they sent a new (store purchased) oil sample to an independent lab. 40.47%
3) Amsoil asked the lab to repeat the test, very close to the same number. ~40%
4) Amsoil ran the test themselves on the sample and got near 50%!
5) Amsoil's reckoning is that some of the baseoil itself has a quite low b.p.
6) Lucas has not challenged this finding, but is aware of it.
7) Amsoil knows of other oils which have fairly high NOACK %'s ~ and figures the companies know the test temp is still lower the typical oil in use mean temperature.

So if this has any clinical significance to me, then I should be experiencing 40% oil loss and massive volitility deposits. This has not happened. Amsoil tests have shown Mobil 1 ext perf to have the highest wear in a four ball test only to show it a close second to Amsoil product in another test. They also want to sell you vitamins and supplements.....
As I stated, many reformulations have taken place to improve product quality over the past year. Cant same the same for some of the other well known brands.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Street. I run it in the Summer months when I do most of my towing.

Where do you find it at?

Just bringing this back to page 3 from the end of page 2 where it might get missed.

Wow clever. Now back to some real quality discussions on MMO and everyones favorite oil filter. Ill check back next year.

Fwiw, got 4 quarts of Lucas Synthetic 5w20 (arrived this monday) and the ones i got are round bottles, have a black label without API starburst and have only ILSAC GF-3 mentioned..

So, Audi Junkie, you're probably right about them dumping their "older" products in my country at more competitive prices..

I also talked with 2 Castrol engineers, and they have confirmed that making a 0w30 exclusively on group III oil is extremely hard, and the latest discussion on MOBIL's Group III+ Visom does back it up, when they claim that only Mobil is capable of making 0w30 exclusively with Visom, and their competition would have to mix with some PAO..

So at least Lucas 0w30 should have some group IV in it..

Here is a VOA of one of their 5w30:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=828167&page=1

One final question, please:

I'm aware that GF-4 has to be more demanding that GF-3, but in what way, exactly what are the differences?
Searched the web but could not find detailed, clear info on it..

Thanks everyone.

Most discussion is on GF-5 now.

http://www.gf-5.com/

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/orig...iderDiagram.ogv

ILSAC GF-5 lubricants are expected to improve passenger car performance from the sparkplug to the tailpipe. These performance improvements are good news for lubricant marketers, auto manufacturers, consumers, and the environment.

New lubricants are already being designed to deliver improvements relative to ILSAC GF-4 in the following categories:

* Improved fuel economy and fuel economy retention
* Engine oil robustness
* Protection of emission control systems

Failure to reach government mandated emissions and CAFE fuel economy levels can be costly for OEMs. Manufacturers could face heavy fines or be forced to change product offerings regardless of customer demand in order to limit fines. The GF-5 specification is designed to help OEMs meet regulatory requirements and provide many new benefits to consumers.

Challenges: Some significant changes are possible

The ILSAC GF-5 specification is a performance upgrade. Stepping up to this challenge, performance additive packages will likely require upgrades including new technologies at higher costs.

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/RelativePerformanceToolIntro.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back