Federated/Hastings LF110F (PH2 equivalent) 3500 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
In service for 7 1/2 months, since July of last year, using bulk Valvoline 5W20, on my '03 Grand Marquis (with a weak thermostat the whole time). It had a small startup rattle a couple times, so I replaced it with a CQ Blue, I'll give it a couple thousand more miles, & then change the oil (leaving the filter on). ADBV still soft, but it didn't have a lot of oil in it when I took it off. I'm beginning to think silicone ADBVs are the way to go on ANY filter not mounted base up (on the 4.6 it's basically on its side). Definitely resembles the Casite filters I used a while back.
federated%202.jpg

federated.jpg

It did OK, considering the engine would barely make it into the normal temp range, & took a long time (10 miles @ 45F) to get there. It was bad enough to get the "snot" on the inside of the oil fill-but 2 long drives with the new 192F Stant Superstat cleaned that right up. I just hate the startup rattle on a 4.6 or 5.4 Ford-those long timing chains sound horrible for a second or two when an oil filter leaks down.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In service for 7 1/2 months, since July of last year, using bulk Valvoline 5W20, on my '03 Grand Marquis (with a weak thermostat the whole time). It had a small startup rattle a couple times, so I replaced it with a CQ Blue, I'll give it a couple thousand more miles, & then change the oil (leaving the filter on). ADBV still soft, but it didn't have a lot of oil in it when I took it off. I'm beginning to think silicone ADBVs are the way to go on ANY filter not mounted base up (on the 4.6 it's basically on its side). Definitely resembles the Casite filters I used a while back.

I changed the oil in my mother's '02 Grand Marquis at Christmas time. The filter is horizontal and the Pro-Tec 159 I removed did not cause any startup rattle. It had the WIX nitrile combo valve. I did go back with the WIX 51372 because it does have the silicone ADBV and separate bypass valve. Oil was in service about 7 months and 4-5K miles.

Last edited:
That's good to know WellOiled. I just changed the oil in my 2011 Focus and put a FU-3614 on. I'll cut my tough guard open soon as it had 9,800~ miles on it

Fram Ultra & Tough Guard, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, Wix standard (black), RP, MCs ending in "S", CQ Blue, & Purolator Boss/Synthetic. I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2 off that list.

Bullwinkle: sorry for the dumb question to me it is, so thank you for the info good sir. What kind of oil did you put in your Grand Marquis?

smile.gif

It still has the bulk 5W20 in it, topped it off with some surplus VNGML 5W30, but there is a bunch of PYB 5W20 lined up for it, from the Pep Boys Founder's Day sale, $9.99 AR, including an OCOD (those go on the GMC).

Hey Bullwinkle....any start up rattle with the car quest blue? Might start using those....

Nice! keep us posted...im always looking for good filters to use in place of these motor crafts...who just can't be trusted anymore...which is just a shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back