Federal judge blocks ca high capacity magazine law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good news. It would have made most people I know criminals overnight.

O and a huge annoyance I have with the designation is a 30 round magazine on a AR or AK is not "high capacity" it is "standard capacity".

We should put limits on free speech. Or maybe the 4th amendment. To be secure in your papers, house and effects, without govt intrusion, is so 1700's.

I believe Connecticut (or was it New York) did something simliar and perhaps 2% of the mags were "registered". Ha. Never comply. Ever.

The government wants to ban the dangerous looking AR-15 but the Mini-14 is okay. Did someone forget to tell those politicians that both guns are semi-automatics and fire the same cartridge? And did these genius politicians decide that a round from a high capacity magazine is more lethal that a round fired from an approved magazine?

I want to have the choice of as many different firearms as those available to criminals and I'm certainly willing to forgo a fully automatic machine gun as a show of good faith. For the life of me I can't understand why the government wants criminals to be better armed than police officers and civilians. The government should be on our side and consider something new and useful like enforcing the laws that already exist before making a bunch of new ones. These politicians act like new laws are like hamburger and they expect to get paid by the pound.

We have to outlaw certain guns since outlawing certain drugs worked so well ...

We didn't want the Brits doing as they pleased and treating us like a cow and milking us for $$$. The Brits didn't like us using rifled guns vs their smooth bores. An unarmed populace are subjects. What did Germany do before they herded the Jews into cattle cars? They imposed a gun ban.
Lets see how long before this post gets locked:(

Last edited:
In practical terms, if your kid was in a school where some guy was trying to kill everyone, what size of magazines would you prefer him to have? 10 rounds or 30?
I know what I would choose...

Andrew,
I say ban stupid people, theives, rapists, child molesters....leave my guns alone
Dylan,
Those people that do those things would FIND something else to do there deed. The guy in N.Y. used a Honda accord. The guys in Paris used a Mann truck. A lady in Dallas stabbed her husband for cheating on her. Should we ban Mann trucks, Honda Accords, and knifes? Those people are crazy...ban one means to terror, they will find another, I promise. I blame the drug companies and doctors that prescribe a pill for everything. Why, cause it makes them money. THOSE guys are criminals for what they do.

I live in a small town and often leave the doors unlocked. School is different - we have tons of electronic security and cops on every campus. Know what we don't have? A sign that says "Visitors Welcome" like a famous school did.
You will be vetted and given a badge if you have family there. Part of admissions is to collect ID & the LEO's will use it.
They have time - and do some training for the kids - and drug dog work too ...
It really put a dent in the fighting and bullying ...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In practical terms, if your kid was in a school where some guy was trying to kill everyone, what size of magazines would you prefer him to have? 10 rounds or 30?
I know what I would choose...

While were talking about school killings - How would you stop the guy in China with the knife that killed 8 in march2010 , or the guy with the knife that wounded 16 the month after, then the guy that killed another 7 kids and 2 adults and 11 others that tried to stop him with a meat cleaver in may 2010 ? it goes on and on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010–12)

In practical terms - in you lived through the LA riot like I did, and had to traverse through south central to get home with no police protection (because they don't show up during civil unrest) like I did how big a magazine would you like to have?

How about when the mob looted and firebombed and my business? What would be the ideal sized magazine to keep away 30 people with molotov cocktails that the police couldn't bother with that day?

Ex post facto laws are unconstitutional and wrong the judge has some sanity here.

UD

Last edited:
Well that's a relief. I was all set to turn in all my newly illegalized belongings.

Said no American ever.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Takes less than 2 seconds to change a magazine....
Good one though

So what's your answer?

To shoot 60 rounds with 30 round magazines takes how long?
Lets say 2 rounds per second, plus 2 seconds change over, so 32 seconds.

To shoot 60 rounds with 10 round magazines would take?
30 seconds of actually pulling the trigger, but 5 change overs for 10 seconds if done by someone skilled with a proper magazine belt set up.

Also tactically speaking, you can't move room to room as easily with smaller magazines, as you want a full 10 round magazine to enter the next room. So a shooter with 10 round magazines may need twice as many rounds to advance effectively, and swap magazine 4 or 5 times as much as they would with a 30 round magazine.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Takes less than 2 seconds to change a magazine....
Good one though

Bingo. I'm pretty quick at changing mags, but my 12 year old nephew is INCREDIBLY fast. That kid has some fast hands and great hand/eye coordination.

What we need is for the Anti's to quit using feelings and emotions when they make decisions. And, try using logic and reasoning instead.

So, here is my counter to the "practical terms" in the school shooting example above:

The definition of a criminal is someone that commits crimes by not obeying the law (in this case murdering kids at the school). Therefore, it would stand to reason that regardless of a magazine restriction, a criminal won't give a flying flip about that law. And, with millions upon millions of these mags out in the wild, there's no reasonable way to collect all of them. We've seen that very few people will voluntarily turn them in. House to house confiscation isn't feasible. So, you'd be left with picking up the mags on the ground after every shooting in which a criminal (or a person defending themselves from a criminal, who at that point may be considered a criminal themeselves) uses a mag.

Instead of hamstringing 99% of the populace...how about we empower them, and give them a fighting chance to defend themselves from a bad guy who most likely won't play by the rules.

Another random thought-

I don't like the idea of the .gov having the power to turn me into a criminal overnight "with the stroke of a pen." That's quite the slippery slope.

A shotgun with buck shot makes for a most effective close range tool. One shot = dozen pieces of shot, standard magazine 5 rounds, 5x12=60 or more

Last edited:
That is a seriously lame argument you got there Dylan. That's like saying the guys in Paris should
Have asked for a wider truck or the lady in Dallas a longer knife to inflict more damage.
You call the cops and WAIT 30-40 minutes for help. I'll call em' for a zipper bag and clean up.
If it's made law, I'm sure a criminal would ask himself "Should I use these illegal high capacity mags to do my deed WHEN I'm already breaking the law?"

The conversation I like to have with the those who believe that 10 round magazines are "enough" for self protection goes like this:

Statistics show that, on average, a trained NY City police officer misses three out of four shots during a fire fight, and it takes two hits on average to stop a threat. Assuming you are as good as a trained police officer while shooting in your home, in the dark, frightened for your life, against a moving target, you will need eight shots on average to stop a single bad guy. The average home invasion involves three bad guys, and occupied break-ins occur on average every 45 seconds in the USA.

Now, it's three AM and you and your wife are sleeping upstairs when you are awakened by the sound of breaking glass. You hear voices downstairs, so you know there is more than one intruder but not how many. They are approaching the stairs. You leap out of bed, toss your wife the phone to call 911, and rush to your closet where you keep two guns: a pistol with 10 rounds, and an AR-15 with 30 rounds. Which do you grab ....

So, if you can choose the appropriate firearm to protect your home, why can't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back