FDA forgot it had smallpox samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the digging up of the 1918 flu victims, the experiementation with such viruses, the accidental contamination of flu vaccines with live bird flu...

when Captain Trips starts, it won't really be an accident.

FDA and maybe CDC would have them I suppose. FDA could use it to study how an exposure might affect food or help will finding a product to help keep it under control. Sounds normal to me I guess but then again what is normal? I gave up worrying about all that I used to and have had better nights sleep since. Thanks for post, it was interesting.

The FDA is not supposed to have any samples of smallpox. There is only two "authorized" storage facilities are the American CDC and Vector lab in Russia.

Quote:

Another astonishing example of govt incompetence. Pretty sad, actually, as these folks have little interest in protecting anything but their cushy jobs...

Pretty ridiculous comment considering smallpox has been eliminated as a public health threat with the help of some of those people.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Another astonishing example of govt incompetence. Pretty sad, actually, as these folks have little interest in protecting anything but their cushy jobs...

Pretty ridiculous comment considering smallpox has been eliminated as a public health threat with the help of some of those people.

I doubt they had anything to do with the eradication of small pox. Vaccinations were discontinued in the 1970's and Jenner discovered the process of inoculation in the 1700's.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Quote:

I doubt they had anything to do with the eradication of small pox. Vaccinations were discontinued in the 1970's and Jenner discovered the process of inoculation in the 1700's.

From the article

Quote:

The vials were labelled "variola", another name for smallpox, and appear to date from the 1950s, the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a statement.

So I guess the people not even born should have known what their coworkers did 60 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be rude but 'variola' is the technical name. Pretty basic stuff for a NIH scientist. If they don't know this they should not be with in 10 miles of a lab.

Quote:

Pretty ridiculous comment since I personally know young parents who are terrified of vaccinations. That also does not include our steady influx of 'new' citizens which are typically not vaccinated either.

Let me know how you feel when you find out your vaccination didn't protect you at all, as I also know someone who experienced that situation. Easy for you to sit all high and mighty about it, some of us regard smallpox as a threat...

I regard smallpox as threat. Remember I am in my early 30's most American's my age and younger do not have the smallpox vaccination. I have the vaccination only because the Department of Defense feared Saddam could of have developed a biological weapon with smallpox thus I have the vaccine. My children do not. If there is a smallpox breakout due to some Tom, ****, or Harry is handling a virus that the FDA should not have a large portion of the U.S. population will be at the mercy of the CDC.

I think they missed the vials from poor record keeping and the vials being buried in the back of the freezer. We had a freezer die a week ago and I had to move the stuff to a different unit. Nothing dangerous was in there but tons of things no one would know we had because the person who used them left. We have no records for any of our freezers and a lousy paper one for stuff kept in liquid nitrogen.
So...yeah, scary but not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back