FCA/Dodge Durango Blue NAV. Screen after shifting out of reverse

I wanted to check in here and see if any FCA tech's may know of the correct software revision and/or TSB/RRT required to fix this, if one is even available at this time.

The 2018 Dodge Durango (out of warranty-42k miles) has already been in the dealership (11/9/2020) for this issue of NAV blue screen after shift from reverse to drive. Back-up camera worked fine in reverse then went to blue screen after shifting into drive when moving. Customer copy of service paperwork shows that "#39286 software issue scanned, no codes working at this time, found TSB 08-016-19 Revision F. Updated radio software from 19.9 to 21.9".

It had done this a few times previous to the dealership visit but the wife could never get a photo till then, and now his is still occurring even after the software update and spending $125 for them to supposedly fix it. I've goggled this and have seen numerous similar scenarios on the FCA vehicles. The recall found online is for 2019-2020 vehicles so I do not fall into that category unfortunately. More commonly referred to as the "blue screen of death" seems to be a plague on the FCA vehicles of the past several years, even read about a class action suit due to the U-connect radios not working and so on. I am familiar with the the Harmon radio issues as of our last Jeep vehicle had the radio replaced twice under warranty due to failures. This is different though and seems attributed to software concerns more than anything.

Is anyone aware of a TSB or RRT which may have a permanent solution to the issue due to the previous TSB not fixing the issue. Hate throwing away money for the dealership to try and pick needles from the haystack. Thank you.

Screen shot blue screen after reverse.jpg

The backup camera is just a straight RGB composite video signal. My brain is telling me the UConnect system is getting the right signal from the PCM/TCM(usually voltage or ground on the reverse signal wire or a CAN message) to switch on to the backup camera.

I’m guessing it’s a hardware issue. I doubt a flat-rate dealership tech even bothered to check the wiring or to see if there’s a hardware fault.

Have you check to see what the latest version of the software is vs what you are running? If there is an update available, if you go here:

And plug-in your VIN, it will tell you if there's been an update released for your system, the release of which you can then contrast to the version you presently have installed.

That's if it is of course a software issue. If it is a hardware issue as nthatch has noted, then the update isn't going to help.

Have you check to see what the latest version of the software is vs what you are running? If there is an update available, if you go here:

And plug-in your VIN, it will tell you if there's been an update released for your system, the release of which you can then contrast to the version you presently have installed.

That's if it is of course a software issue. If it is a hardware issue as nthatch has noted, then the update isn't going to help.
Over the almost three years that I've owned my Charger, I haven't gotten a single update. Every time I check, it always says my car is up to date. Does that thing even work? :)

checked that and it says up to date, I'm thinking I'll need to start looking at the plugs for bent pins, terminal push-outs, etc. then correct.

Over the almost three years that I've owned my Charger, I haven't gotten a single update. Every time I check, it always says my car is up to date. Does that thing even work? :)

All my newer vehicles haven't had updates through the portal, but my 2016 had several. It's odd. I think for those that do OTA, it's far more likely to not yield an update.

It looks like whatever controls the power supply to the camera has turned it off like it should, but the front unit still thinks the car is in reverse.

Is there a reset pin hole for the entertainment system? My old Sonata did this and i put the end of a paperclip in there to reset and it worked.

Is there a reset pin hole for the entertainment system? My old Sonata did this and i put the end of a paperclip in there to reset and it worked.
Not sure about a physical pin, but there may be some button combination that would force a hard reset, assuming the system is still responsive enough to register that button press.

Random question:

Do you have any electrical oddness like the interior lights dimming and getting bright by chance?

interior lights dimming and getting bright
That's an excellent point, voltage fluctuations will upset computer type stuff. Especially if the reverse and brake lights aren't LED (surely they are by 2018?) there will be a lot of current surges during backing maneuvers.

Corroded or loose connections at the battery are a major cause of this. Also check the big ground wire from the battery to the frame and engine.

Random question:

Do you have any electrical oddness like the interior lights dimming and getting bright by chance?
Not sure, I can’t replicate the issue when I’m in the vehicle. The wife isn’t that observant. Took two or three tries to get me the photo so I could try to understand the failure mode.

Ended up disconnecting the batteries; yes two, found a full size AGM battery and a smaller motorcycle size battery under the passenger seat. About 20-25 minutes then went into dealer mode on the radio, driver side hot and cold temp buttons held along with front defrost button. Cycled through everything as stab in the dark myself. I’ll check wire connectors soon, too cold out to start pulling interior plastic fasteners off for fear of breaking them to get to the camera on the hatch door.

Not sure, I can’t replicate the issue when I’m in the vehicle. The wife isn’t that observant. Took two or three tries to get me the photo so I could try to understand the failure mode.

Ended up disconnecting the batteries; yes two, found a full size AGM battery and a smaller motorcycle size battery under the passenger seat. About 20-25 minutes then went into dealer mode on the radio, driver side hot and cold temp buttons held along with front defrost button. Cycled through everything as stab in the dark myself. I’ll check wire connectors soon, too cold out to start pulling interior plastic fasteners off for fear of breaking them to get to the camera on the hatch door.

I asked because on my 2016 Grand Cherokee I had some electrical weirdness related to the stereo, dimming intermittently, internal lights (the map lights) and if I watched it on the cluster, odd charging behaviour. Ended up being a loose ground from the battery to the body.

I asked because on my 2016 Grand Cherokee I had some electrical weirdness related to the stereo, dimming intermittently, internal lights (the map lights) and if I watched it on the cluster, odd charging behaviour. Ended up being a loose ground from the battery to the body.
Understood, I’d drive it more but the wife hates driving my diesel truck to work. She claims it’s like driving a bus, although I doubt she’s ever driven a bus to compare it to😂😂😂

Understood, I’d drive it more but the wife hates driving my diesel truck to work. She claims it’s like driving a bus, although I doubt she’s ever driven a bus to compare it to😂😂😂

LOL!

Well, when you have a chance, check the body ground where it meets the body under the seat.

It’s acting like the radio is not getting the command to exit the back up camera screen after you have shifted out of reverse. See at the top it still say “check surroundings.”
Blue screen is no video input signal.

"Check Surroundings" above blue is a very big clue.
Camera has been turned off (actually powered on/off with Reverse) and head does not know - either not told by some controller or ignored command. Any other car systems flakey? (Comm. line)
I would remove bezel, loosen radio and detach that largest rear connector (with ignition off) for a while.
If happens again, try it again right then.
If radio reset kills it, probably radio; if not, probably commanding module.

Back