FCA closes Dodge Viper plant. End of an era

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the latest ones were like but I was surprised how loud and raw the 2001 coupe I drove was. Like do they really sell them to the public this way? It drove quite nice though and the suspension absorbed more bumps than you would think. Shifter wasn't that bad either. Anyways I guess it was a real drivers car and a little rough around the edges compared to a Corvette, so I can see how most people would be fine with the Vette instead of the Viper.

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Personally, I am definitely never buying any RAM truck with the Satanic Ram head logo and probably not the Demon either.

I bet you are fun at parties. One of those types that sees "Lucifer" in his Cheerios every morning.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Personally, I am definitely never buying any RAM truck with the Satanic Ram head logo and probably not the Demon either.

I bet you are fun at parties. One of those types that sees "Lucifer" in his Cheerios every morning.

LOL

I didn't know the Ram logo was satanic?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

LOL

I didn't know the Ram logo was satanic?

Goat heads have symbolism in satanic rituals. The problem is these types of people that go out of their way and want to look at the world through a skewed lens, will find these symbols everywhere and take out of context of how they are being used but see them with their own bias already in place.

Dang. I'd better remove the Ram symbol from my Ram, and replace it with a picture of a bunny.

Of course Bunnies are evil too...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
As for performance, there aren't any production cars under a million dollars, which can beat a current model Viper ACR around a racetrack..

The Nurburgring is a "racetrack". The Viper got beaten by an Electric Car, a Nissan, a Porsche, and a Mercedes. We'll not mention the 2 Lamborghini models that beat it and the fact that it only beat a lowly Camaro by 4 seconds....).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
As for performance, there aren't any production cars under a million dollars, which can beat a current model Viper ACR around a racetrack..

The Nurburgring is a "racetrack". The Viper got beaten by an Electric Car, a Nissan, a Porsche, and a Mercedes. We'll not mention the 2 Lamborghini models that beat it and the fact that it only beat a lowly Camaro by 4 seconds....).

Are you talking production cars? I am.

I should have stated that the Viper holds the current track record for production cars, at numerous racetracks in the States. Has the '16 Viper ACR run at the Nurburgring? I don't know, as honestly it's not that important to me to know.

4 seconds is a lifetime on a track.

I actually don't care that much, as I'm far more into Motorcycles anyway. But I just wanted to refute the ridiculous comment that the Viper is in last place when it comes to performance..

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What year is your Viper, any mods ?

'13 GTS, with current ACR wheels and carbon brakes, and the engine has been modified for a bit more power. It's fun.

I was bored and took a look at the Nurburgring records. The Viper you're referring to, is the previous generation car. The new one is a better car in every way, but I can find no officially sanctioned run of the latest Viper ACR at the 'Ring. One thing is certain, it would be faster than the old car you're talking about.

The Porsche had a modified body structure "for safety reasons" which no doubt aided the chassis stiffness. So it was not as it came from the factory.

As for Nissan:

Quote:
Two months later, Nissan claimed, which was also widely reported in the media, a ring record for its Nissan GT-R Nismo as "world's fastest volume production car". Engineers later confessed that the car had been "specifically tuned for the Nurburgring" with significant changes from the standard car. The Nissan GT-R was fourth place on this list at the time.

So the Nissan wasn't in production trim either.

I'd be curious to know the actual status of the other cars you mentioned, which posted a faster lap time than the previous generation Viper.

Oh, and the "lowly" (your words) Camaro, was a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Not exactly a V6 base model.

Is the Viper the greatest thing since sliced bread? of course not. But it is a vehicle that offers serious performance, a unique charismatic engine, all at a relative bargain price. It's also a blast to drive on the track, or taking it easy on public roads.

I'd be curious to know the actual status of the other cars you mentioned, which posted a faster lap time than the previous generation Viper.
Oh, and the "lowly" (your words) Camaro, was a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Not exactly a V6 base model.

The Camaro was the real surprise, getting to within 1% of the Viper's (2010 model) lap time, with a chassis derived from a Cadillac! You say 4 seconds is a lot in racing, not true in the Nurburgring's case, as its a long course.

As for the other cars that finished ahead of the 2010 Viper, they are all small-cockpit race cars really, similar to the Viper. The pure electric car that currently sits at Number 1 looks like it was made with alien technology and not street driveable.

About the Nurburgring, its the gold standard, as its probably the most challenging course with a great variety of curves, hills, and straights.

The Camaro was the real surprise, getting to within 1% of the Viper's (2010 model) lap time, with a chassis derived from a Cadillac! You say 4 seconds is a lot in racing, not true in the Nurburgring's case, as its a long course.

As for the other cars that finished ahead of the 2010 Viper, they are all small-cockpit race cars really, similar to the Viper. The pure electric car that currently sits at Number 1 looks like it was made with alien technology and not street driveable.

About the Nurburgring, its the gold standard, as its probably the most challenging course with a great variety of curves, hills, and straights.

I'm familiar with the Nurburgring, having been there. As for it being the Gold Standard, I'd say that any modern Roadracing facility that currently hosts F1 and MotoGP, is a better venue for getting the absolute best out of a vehicle, be it car or bike. The old North Loop (which we are referring to) was deemed unsafe for the speeds of the vehicles being raced there in the early 80's. Which is why they built the GP track which comprises a small part of the overall 'Ring.

The old North loop track is now just a pay-per-lap track with minimal run-off (especially for bikes), that no longer meets the safety requirements of premier racing organizations. Although some slower racing classes still race there.

Of the many production vehicles that sit at the top of the list of fastest production cars at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, the Viper ACR is pretty much the only one that did it by way of a competent chassis and strong engine alone.

People hate the Viper because they don't like being reminded that a good car and driver beats exotic materials and a bunch of computers. People particularly don't want to be reminded that a friggin' Dodge spanked the daylights out of so many boutique halo badges.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Of the many production vehicles that sit at the top of the list of fastest production cars at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe, the Viper ACR is pretty much the only one that did it by way of a competent chassis and strong engine alone.

People hate the Viper because they don't like being reminded that a good car and driver beats exotic materials and a bunch of computers. People particularly don't want to be reminded that a friggin' Dodge spanked the daylights out of so many boutique halo badges.

Hahaha, you really shook up the car snobs on that one! I love Vipers until you spend more than 15 or 20 minutes in one. The newest are supposedly much more refined. Do they still sound a bit like a UPS truck? Does the shifter and sidepipe both still burn you? Maybe, but on a road course they are about as much fun as a production car can give you...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Hahaha, you really shook up the car snobs on that one! I love Vipers until you spend more than 15 or 20 minutes in one. The newest are supposedly much more refined. Do they still sound a bit like a UPS truck? Does the shifter and sidepipe both still burn you? Maybe, but on a road course they are about as much fun as a production car can give you...

The 5th gen cars ARE a much nicer place to spend time. The interior is finished to a much higher standard, and the leather is as nice as any you'll find in a car. The seats are made by Sabelt, the same company that makes Ferrari's seats. The side sills can get warm, but not like in the older gen cars.

The exhaust does sound much better than when the Viper first came out in the early 90's. They've done a fair amount of exhaust tuning over the years. There is also a decent aftermarket for exhaust systems, and other hop-up parts. Although if you go with aftermarket parts, be wary of who you get parts from. There have been some crooks "tuning" these cars over the years.

The video of the '16 ACR running around Laguna Seca that I posted in this thread, is a decent recording of the stock exhaust note.

In short, the 5th gen cars are more comfortable and refined, but have also gained substantial capability over the previous years. It's a shame to see it given the ax, again.

So a bunch of Viper fans, with no official backing from FCA, have made an attempt to set a faster lap time at the 'Ring in a Viper. So far they've improved on the previous lap record, but with numerous issues they feel they can still make some big improvements. The plan is to make another attempt later this month.

Here's the story: Road &Track article

Here's the gofundme page if you want to donate. I did.
Gofundme donation fund

I recall when the 5th gen Viper came out for the '13 model year, a common question was how did the new car accommodate drivers of varying size. During the redesign they worked on accommodating a wider range of body types. I recall reading in some Viper press material that I have, that Chrysler's head of interior design, Klaus Busse, is 6'8", and he could drive the 5th gen Viper. The bottom line is that the 5th gen is more accommodating of large and tall drivers, than previous gen Vipers.

I'm only 6'2", but most vehicles I find I move the seat as far back and down as I can. My Viper is no exception. I do have another car wherein I don't have to do that, and I've found that's true for most of that brands range of vehicles.

Well, they made another attempt, and improved on the lap time, but a series of human caused issues, tire failures, and finally another tire failure caused a crash that ended the effort.

It would be interesting to know what a factory backed effort with professional mechanics, and a week of testing, tweaking and track time like the other manufacturers had for their Nurburgring lap time attempts, could've achieved.

They still set a record for an American production rear wheel drive car, with a manual transmission.

Road & Track

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back