FB Marketplace and Zelle payments

I normally use CL but decided to also try FB Marketplace to sell some furniture. Within 15 minutes I received messages from 5 or 6 people who all want to use Zelle to send me payment because they are out of town but cousin will pick it up.

I sent some money to a mechanic recently via Zelle. But have not received payment.

So what's the scam here?

I normally use CL but decided to also try FB Marketplace to sell some furniture. Within 15 minutes I received messages from 5 or 6 people who all want to use Zelle to send me payment because they are out of town but cousin will pick it up.

I sent some money to a mechanic recently via Zelle. But have not received payment.

So what's the scam here?

Phony funds or something.. I don't trust it.

Maybe some kind of send it, get it, dispute maybe. I paid a mechanic through Venmo once but I been using him for years so it was known. Just something about wanting to "hold" the item.. Mom went through this selling a harp years ago, you think you have the money and then all of a sudden you don't.

Yes total scams, I keep seeing the same Ford and Chevrolet trucks over and over for sale posted by different accounts but they all use the same pictures, description and always asking $800 and not to message them on FB but to email them instead... that's a huge red flag. If they aren't willing to meet you locally themselves then it's a scam, usually it's a brother, cousin that will meet you but not them because they aren't going to match the description of who you're interacting with as you're dealing with a fake name, fake profile, aka bogus seller account.

Weird. Zelle is supposed to be very favorable to the seller. I.e. Once the money is sent via Zelle. there’s no way you’re getting it back. They warn people who are buying items never to use Zelle unless you’re 100% sure you’re going to get the item.

idk. Maybe someone has found a way to send you a “fake Zelle text” making it seem like money is already in your account. Maybe someone is trying to collect phone numbers to add to a future call list.

I just googled this:

also found this:

Last edited:
All local selling apps are scams. Zelle isnt a scam neither is paypal either since thats what they used before. If someone comes to you and they send you money via zelle right then and there and you see it go through its almost impossible for it to be taken from you and is pretty safe.

But the scams are usually with shippable items where they promise to send you the payment once you send them a tracking code but to get a tracking code you need to ship it first so they count on you sending something to them and not calling the company to stop your shipment and return it.

Reactions: GON
FB Marketplace banned my account when I switch my MFA from SMS token to FIDO2. I was in disbelief they would ban me for changing to a better MFA that they support! Try sometime to get in contact with a human at FB to fix a problem like this. It's impossible. I will never waste another moment of my life on FB.

I am never on facebook just used facebook marketplace as it used to be way better than craigslist.

now its total scam crap city

When you see tractors and such at 25% or less than their value.. PAGES OF THEM.. ugh

So what's the scam here?
So why don't they send money to the person picking it up and have the person picking it up give you cash?
You should be fine, but, honestly don't know the answer.

People make things so difficult,it amazes me.

If you find something you want to purchase on Facebook marketplace, communication is key. Second, have them meet you at a convenient location and complete the transaction for the item.

People make things so difficult,it amazes me.

If you find something you want to purchase on Facebook marketplace, communication is key. Second, have them meet you at a convenient location and complete the transaction for the item.
Well this is a couch. Not easy to pick it up and meet at a convenient location.

Yeah, the scam is something/anything to get you to physically release it (or have you put in "writing," electronic on phones is fine for these people) that you said "ok" so they can yank the money and call it THEIRS.

Wouldn't be surprised if they produce a Bill Of Sale. @mk378 think they would?

Second, have them meet you at a convenient location and complete the transaction for the item.
No. I occasionally sell extra things that we no longer need but I stick to "local" FB groups, not the worldwide FB Marketplace. Every listing I make includes "No holds, pick-up only, no delivery". Many items are too big to fit in any of our vehicles anyway plus I'm not loading it up, going somewhere, and waiting for the buyer to no-show. I will not inconvenience myself 1% when I sell things. That means I don't change my plans, delay plans, etc because they'll "try" to come over on Saturday afternoon.

I've used Zelle (both sent and received), but only with people I know. If I was selling to a stranger, I'd want cash unless it was for some large amount like for a vehicle, then it would have to be some other secure transfer. I think in order for someone to transfer money through Zelle, the sender and receiver's bank both need Zelle, and the sender would need your phone number or email address ... whatever was used to create the Zelle account in the first place.

Back