Favorite tool starting to fail

I've purchased quite a few tools over the past few years. Some really expensive some really cheap. There is one tool in particular I use more than any other. The Harbor Freight 1/2 inch telescoping ratchet. It's taken a beating for the past 2 years. Used quite a bit. But it's starting to show it's age. It's getting loose and doesn't sound good when it clicks. It's a cheap ratchet so it's easily replaced. But I'm wondering if there's something I can do to extend the life span. Is there a way to open it up and put in some grease or tighten something up?

Attachments

• 20210105_101443.jpg
    20210105_101443.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210105_101453.jpg
    20210105_101453.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210105_101502.jpg
    20210105_101502.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 44
If you have a good Harbor Freight store they will warranty it. I never liked those extendable ratchets last one I split in half lol. Throw some grease in there and soak the head in ATF.

Hmm wonder if it's this washer flattening out. Which is the same problem I have with the front door deadbolt. This wavy washer takes up space. Goes flat after a while. I tried bending it again

Attachments

• 20210105_124000.jpg
    20210105_124000.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 21
Assembly lube or gun lube works great for ratchets from what I hear.

I had an old craftsman swivel head that was seized up solid. I let it sit in kerosene for a few days, then took it apart and lubed it with some ATF I had laying around. Still works to this day. The springs are getting kinda worn out but that's from corrosion .

I thought my old USA 1/2" teardrop raised panel Craftsman ratchet was dead, even bought a replacement. Or two. I've used and abused it since I got it new in the early 80's, there was no shame for it.

With nothing to lose, I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it with Super Lube (silicone grease), now it is fine again. Then I read on GJ tool forum I did it all wrong. But it keeps on working.

Later on I inherited a bunch of my GrandFather's tools, I cleaned all the ratchets up. I found most any lube worked... on those old, big head, low tooth count ratchets.

Turns out, the fewer (and larger) the pawl teeth, the thicker a lube you can get away with before it interferes with the works (as long as you don't overload it)... but the ideal ratchet lube is thin, especially on the smaller 1/4" and/or fine tooth ratchets. ATF, air tool oil or Marvel Mystery all work well... for a little while. The relatively thin NLGI #2 White Lithium Grease works well, for longer. The ideal lubricant is thin but sticky enough to stay around. Thus, an assembly lube like Permatex 81950.

If you're really lazy, or have a ratchet that can't be opened, soak it submerged in Ed's Red (ATF and Acetone) until it frees up. Then exercise it some and then soak it in straight ATF for a while, then let it drip-dry. Should be good to go for a few years, maybe longer.

A tip I got off of BITOG a while back for lubing ratchet internals - engine assembly lube. I've used it with good results. Works good because it sticks nicely to the gears. Permatex Ultra Slick is my favorite flavor.
I started using that recently for finer tooth ratchets. For coarser tooth ratchets Super Lube works great.

Last edited:
I also did the procedure described by @HangFire on my old Craftsmans, my old Snap Ons, and my SKs (clean and lube with Super Lube). All work great - even the 1/4 inch - but I especially like what it did for the Craftsmans...they now have less drag than the Snap Ons. Super Lube seems to work well even with the finer teeth (possibly because it is relatively light ???).

Back