Favorite tire place? : Chain, independent, online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I buy using Tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com. Not because of price, but rather I don't care for salesmen in general (not necessarily the salesmen themselves, but the whole person to person sales experience) and buying online allows me to take my time, do research, compare, etc. all from the comfort of my computer chair. I don't mind hauling the tires to a local garage to have them put on.

Tirerack.com is a great resource and their selection is second to none. Their prices are not always the best, especially when you factor in shipping, but I used to live within 60 miles of a TR warehouse and used will call instead of paying shipping. If I can save money and they have the tire I want, I use DTD. Prices buying online are usually, but not always better than retail. If I spent time looking for discounts, rebates, black Friday deals, etc. I could certainly beat online prices buying local, but then I'm forced to call around and find out what places carry, if they have my size in stock, and it's a hassle when I have all the information I need in front of me when buying online.

Edit: I did buy a set of tires at Walmart a couple years ago. Needed tires @ last minute before a cross country move, and Walmart carried a tire I was going to buy online anyway, but I couldn't wait for shipping. Their price was great, service was too.

+++ 99 ^^ for Tirerack.com - They have been superb for supporting me, and my local favorite independent shop is a preferred installer. This shop is very high end though, but they both HAVE and know how to USE a road force balance machine.

Discount Tire. I order online and bring the printout to make sure I get what I ordered.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Whoever has the best sale. Discount Tire refused to rotate my tires, once they turned ten years old. I had been buying from them for 20 years. According to the high school rocket scientist. Ten year old tires are not serviceable. Lol

Well...that high school kid must be able to use "google" like I just did. It turns out according to the sites I visited he was right......

Amazon.com has a bunch of tires at good prices, though it can vary what kind of cheap deal you get.
Also, they recently signed a deal with Sears Auto Centers (yes, they still exist...) to ship to & install at.
Or you can just get them yourself & take them to a Les Schwab or walmart or somewhere you like.
I like Discount Tire Direct though their deals can vary depending on the size and model.

Discount Tire. Their customer service has always been over the top for me. Even when they have made mistakes and seized a lug nut onto a stud, they have always made it right.

When I first moved back to Utah from Kentucky, I was in need for a set of tires. I tried Les Schwab since they were right around the corner from where I was living. This was my first experience with a Les Schwab tire store, as they weren't in Utah when I moved away 15 years earlier.

I knew what tire I wanted and asked for it when I went in, but instead they repeatedly tried to sell me Les Schwab branded tires. When I finally got them to price the tires I wanted, they were way overpriced compared to what I had been quoted before leaving Kentucky. I gave them another chance a couple years later when I had a car that I was getting ready to sell, and just wanted a 40,000 mile set of tires for it. Les Schwab had a tire on sale that fit my need, so I went in to have a set installed. The sales tech was really pushy at trying to upsell me. I respectfully made it clear that I wanted the tire that I came in for. From that point on they treated me like a red headed step child. Since I drove off their lot that day, I've never stepped foot in a Les Schwab store since, and I probably never will. Nor would I ever recommend them.

There are two smaller tire stores more local to me. I'm friends with the owner of one and the manager of the other. One is just down the street from me. I could drop my car off and walk home while they change tires. But I just can't see anyone else taking as good of care of me as Discount Tire does. But don't you all go there. I want them to always remain hungry enough for future business they they never loose sight of why they do what they do. Discount is a nasty place. Yea. That's it. Ya'll should go elsewhere.

Usually at where I work...currently working at a tyre shop, so that's good. But they don't have access to motorcycle tyres...so went to Cycle Treads last week and got a Shinko 705.

Discount Tire always if I just need tires.
In and out in about an hour and no up sales because all they sell is tires.
I once bought a set of tires at Big O and they tried to sell me every service they could.
I went back to Big O for the free rotation and again I was bombarded with them trying to sell me every service.
I finally told them to forget it.
I drove down the street to a little independent tire shop and paid them $20 to rotate the tires.
It was done in 20 minutes with just a thanks for coming in,no pounding to buy more.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Discount Tire. Their customer service has always been over the top for me. Even when they have made mistakes and seized a lug nut onto a stud, they have always made it right.

When I first moved back to Utah from Kentucky, I was in need for a set of tires. I tried Les Schwab since they were right around the corner from where I was living. This was my first experience with a Les Schwab tire store, as they weren't in Utah when I moved away 15 years earlier.

I knew what tire I wanted and asked for it when I went in, but instead they repeatedly tried to sell me Les Schwab branded tires. When I finally got them to price the tires I wanted, they were way overpriced compared to what I had been quoted before leaving Kentucky. I gave them another chance a couple years later when I had a car that I was getting ready to sell, and just wanted a 40,000 mile set of tires for it. Les Schwab had a tire on sale that fit my need, so I went in to have a set installed. The sales tech was really pushy at trying to upsell me. I respectfully made it clear that I wanted the tire that I came in for. From that point on they treated me like a red headed step child. Since I drove off their lot that day, I've never stepped foot in a Les Schwab store since, and I probably never will. Nor would I ever recommend them.

There are two smaller tire stores more local to me. I'm friends with the owner of one and the manager of the other. One is just down the street from me. I could drop my car off and walk home while they change tires. But I just can't see anyone else taking as good of care of me as Discount Tire does. But don't you all go there. I want them to always remain hungry enough for future business they they never loose sight of why they do what they do. Discount is a nasty place. Yea. That's it. Ya'll should go elsewhere.

Les Schwab is a joke.
They are fine for people that know nothing about tires and just want new ones.
But if you have a little knowledge and are aware of pricing Les Schwab is not the place for you.
But they must be doing something right they have a lot of stores.

Discount Tire / America Tire here

They have never done me wrong... so far.
Have bought several sets from them, multiple vehicles.

I'll soon be looking tor new tires for my DD, maybe around Thanksgiving for any sales. If not, might be able to hold out till around x-mas.
Main thing is to get new tires before winter/rain (if we get the rain this winter).
And I want to try something I haven't had before this time.

I need to get looking soon for what they have for my DD - in 225/60 R17

Discount Tire (or America's Tire) or really any tire shop: It's more of who is working there & manages the local shop. We can say "I like Discount Tire, etc.". Your results will vary depending on the dedication of who is working that day.

Strategy: Get the best deal you can at Discount Tire Direct, which for some reason is different than Discount Tire's website, so check both websites. Check Amazon, Walmart, etc.
Then get your tires installed by anybody you like.
For example, Les Schwab's tire selection and pricing stinks, but they are good at installing tires. Therefore, get a cheap name-brand tire at Discount Tire Direct, for example, and have Les Scwhab install them.

Last edited:
My buddies Independent tire shop. He caters to mostly high-end/ exotic cars. He'll sell me tires at cost, and let's me use his equipment to mount and balance them myself. I'll help him out with repairs on his personal vehicles in return.

DTD is my "favorite". TBH I don't have a favorite; each time I need tires I look on CL to see if there is a used deal, then I look online to see what can be had, then I might call around if I need to. I've been trying to time the sales, and have bought tires several months ahead of time.

I understand that tire shops (and garages) have a business to run, but I really don't like sitting around doing "nothing" while waiting for my car back. So my routine these days is to mailorder tires and either mount myself or drop off the tires&rims at a local garage and pick up the set the following day. Rotate onto the vehicle at my leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back