Favorite fruits/vegetables during summer time....

Here in Berks County Pa., Lancaster County is 2 miles up the road and they have a plethora of road side stands. Sweet Corn is worth dying for and luv some ripe tomatoes also. Peaches are in now and super sweet.

I’m growing 3k stalks of corn right now which is a summer favorite of ours. Most well give away. Yellow squash, kale, broccoli, cabbage and of course green beans are at the top of my list. No tomatoes here, we live in North Dakota and by the time they mature it’s almost time for our first frost which happens the second week of September on average.

This

tomTOES.jpg

Tomato 🍅, corn 🌽 and cucumbers 🥒 are my favorite vegetables to get fresh by the roadside. Cantaloupe 🍈 and watermelon 🍉 are my favorite fruits to get. Nothing better than a sweet juicy homegrown cantaloupe. Not a whole lot of places around here have fresh peaches though I know of at least two orchards around here. Also apples are pretty common too which I love a nice Granny Smith Apple 🍏 🍎. Homemade apple butter is a nice thing to find at these stands too. We lost one of our mom and pop produce roadside stands as they retired about 3 years ago so now we just have two in this particular area and then there are always different ones along different places too.

People always ask me why I get so excited over cantaloupe lol. I’ve loved cantaloupe since the first time I tried it. Apparently not as many people like it as I thought lol.

I LOVE the entire plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables from late spring peas to the final autumn apples and yummy acorn squash (with a bit of homemade maple syrup)! We tend a small garden for the enjoyment, but my workplace has literally tons of field fresh fruits and vegetables I am privy to. I am very fortunate and spoiled to be married to a farm wife that enjoys preparing the earth's bounty. We freeze more now vs. the old days of canning. We have a dehydrator too.

Traverse City claims to be Cherry Capital of the World (tart variety), but it's the roadside sweet cherries that are a real treat
1661091432604.png

Last edited:
I LOVE the entire plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables from late spring peas to the final autumn apples and yummy acorn squash (with a bit of homemade maple syrup)! We tend a small garden for the enjoyment, but my workplace has literally tons of field fresh fruits and vegetables I am privy to. I am very fortunate and spoiled to be married to a farm wife that enjoys preparing the earth's bounty. We freeze more now vs. the old days of canning. We have a dehydrator too.

Traverse City claims to be Cherry Capital of the World (tart variety), but it's the roadside sweet cherries that are a real treat
View attachment 113471
Man, rarely see someone selling fresh squash - but will hit the brakes when I do …
Forgot to mention peaches and pecans are roadside in season …

Corn picked, heated and eaten the same day = tops
peaches, green beans, cucumbers, squash.....
Don't forget the roadsiders who have chickens and offer eggs!

Make chili con carne. Hollow out yellow squash and grill it. Fill that boat with the chili and top with cheese. So Summer, so good.

A pizzeria owner in Brooklyn where I lived picked zucchini flowers. He'd batter 'em, cook 'em and serve them in his store.
You don't get that at Olive Garden!

I’m growing 3k stalks of corn right now which is a summer favorite of ours. Most well give away. Yellow squash, kale, broccoli, cabbage and of course green beans are at the top of my list. No tomatoes here, we live in North Dakota and by the time they mature it’s almost time for our first frost which happens the second week of September on average.
That's 500 dozen ears of corn you could give it to the population of ND.lol

I love eating frozen fruit (I always buy red grapes and freeze them), so I'm always buying frozen cherries, peaches, and blueberries.

One year as a kid this commercial played near constantly then variations on it year after year.

Once its in your head it will not leave.

Back