Favorite cheap wine thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

And mori quoting Matthew. Wow.

I blame 1/2 a year Catholic boarding school!
grin.gif

Back to wine. Nothing worse than a stinky cork crumbling and bits falling into the wine. Good corks are maybe more costly and harder to come by these days. Good synthetic corks are okay and maybe even superior to cork. I don't care for the squeaking when shoving a ballooned plastic cork back in. Screw tops are the way to go, but the concept of not uncorking a wine bottle means some sort of loss of tradition. But then again, I also don't want to drink beer that comes from a bottle with a twist cap.
tongue.gif

Those natural corks with a plastic cap on top work well. Especially if one were a bit soused, not having to wield a cork screw would definitely be safer.
grin.gif

Isn't "seppo" short for septic tank? Maybe we can collect some money so you can upgrade to a Porta Potty.
grin.gif

That's true, XS, and my neighbor Pjotr just told me the commonly accepted English transcriptions were

do svidanija
do svidaniya
da svidan'ya

None ends with e.

I've yet to think seppo is funny or insulting. Just kind of stupid.

Try that one on the field - hey you smelly septic tank you!

or

You'll digest anything, you septic tank.

You're a seppo!!! Nah-na-na-na-hah!!!

See? Not working.

My wife speaks the old pure Russian as spoken by White Russian not the b@stardised modern or Soviet Russan with it's plethora of English words thrown in. When the local Russian community from the embassy 'Soviets' meet my MIA or wife they always ask where did they learn to speak so beautifully. They cringe when we watch the daily Russian news on TV and it does sound odd when you hear blah blah blah supermarket or discotheque etc in the middle of sentences. The MIA has never actually been to Russia but was born to Wheite Russians who fled to Harbin in China. They hate the Soviets as they still call them.

Google Do Svidanye real Russians use an e. I'm sure my wife and her mother certainly know a bit of Russian. My daughter (7) understands nearly everything they say but can't speak much. Needs Russian schoool for that.

offtopic.gif

But it's interesting that when Googling "do svidanye" you only get 65 hits, but when you google for "do svidanya" you get 13000 hits.

Having had to learn Russian in communist Poland, we were always taught that the word ended in "a". And if memory serves me right, that's because the word ends with a cyrillic character pronounced as "ya". See last letter in the table here:
http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/language/russian-alphabet.html

If real Russians pronounce this as "ye", then we were never told this secret, but it's possible that some local dialects do.

Boy, this is a rather fortified discussion going on here in the food section. Perhaps some T-Bird is being poured in cyberland. I wonder when the lock will appear?

We drink very little here. But when we do, a nice bottle of Martini & Rossi Asti on sale for under $10 is enjoyed.

I was in Italy about 15 years ago and saw M&R Asti in the store for about 3000 lira then (about $2 US). We enjoyed a bottle a day on that trip.

Old pure Russian not the Soviet rubbish. I'm sure my Russian wife and mother-in-law know what they are talking about. Note they hate the 'Soviets' as they call them. As they say "you can take Putin out of the KGB but you can't take the KGB out of Putin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back