Favorite brand of DEF

Does anyone have a favorite brand of DEF. I can get SuperTech for under $12 for 2.5Gal and Blue Def for around $16.50 and Valvoline for 2 for $30.

Previously in NY I was getting it at the pump at a large truck stop. Much harder to find a pump with Def in the Delaware beach area.

I have even seen Blue Def Premium, not sure what is up with that?

I consider DEF to be a simple commodity. It’s 32.5 % urea and apparently 67.5% deionized water. I would buy the cheapest stuff I could find. You can look for the API certification on the jug if you have any concerns.

F320C1E7-2B88-4610-82C6-3F21E5D16227.jpg

Last edited:
I only fill DEF at the pump, as it's much more convenient to add DEF while I'm getting fuel. They never say what brand of DEF you are buying, just that it's DEF.

Whatever Walmart sells and it's the cheapest. It's DEF, after all...

You did not just say that. This is BITOG, you can't say something like that on BITOG.... :)
I can't believe I said it either. For me, it's in the same category as gasoline or Diesel fuel. However, DEF is regulated, and it's more vital for it to be fresh, clean, and patiently dispensed. At least that's what all my friends and family say that drive an eighteen-wheeler or a Diesel pickup truck.

Off-topic, I got a 2022 Durango GT Plus with the V6. I love it. I can't wait to do the first oil change.

I don’t own a diesel - but I did see BlueDEF Platinum at one of the box stores claiming “better after treatment performance”. What’s up with that? I think DEF is DEF - it has to meet API specs(and ultimately, Euro specs, seeing how AdBlue is a standard there).

I don’t own a diesel - but I did see BlueDEF Platinum at one of the box stores claiming “better after treatment performance”. What’s up with that? I think DEF is DEF - it has to meet API specs(and ultimately, Euro specs, seeing how AdBlue is a standard there).
I wonder the same.

I buy whatever is cheap and nearby. Usually Supertech or whatever is at the pump.
I thought it was always cheapest at the pump. Walmart has to sell it in a container and you have to store it afterwards. At the pump it's fresh and there's no container afterwards.

It being fresh is more important than brand. When left open to air it will go bad very quickly.
I’ve seen buses and box trucks with crystallized DEF pouring down their filler doors and tanks. Urea doesn’t stay in solution long - uric acid crystals in urinals have plagued plumbers and janitors.

DEF is like oil with the correct specifications for your vehicle-it won't blow up no matter what brand you choose.

Back