Favorite A/T Tires On An SUV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow/wet traction but still performing well all around? Most AT’s are out because they have garbage siping.

I’d suggest Michelin Defender LTX MS.

I'd suggest the LTX is the worst tire that I've ever owned, by far. Only tire that I've taken off early, and sold on Craigslist, as I had zero confidence in them.

Unless you travel off-road or need an A/T tire more than half the time, you'd be better off with a severe snow service rated all-season tire. I actually had a set of these on a 2004 Ram 1500 4WD and they were impressive tires. I hunt a lot and used these in pastures, rutted out and muddy service roads, logging roads and tons of dirt/rock roads. They performed great on highways and in that type of off-roading I listed. I also used them in upper Minnesota snows when visiting my daughter in Bemidji. They were terrific in that snow and were good in the rain and slush as well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...a&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Sedona&autoModClar=

They get noisy and wet traction plummets as they wear down.

Not sure how the AT3 4S compares, hopefully it is an improvement. I had the AT3's and were less than impressed after about 20k miles on them. They were great initially, but as they wore the traction especially wet traction became exponentially worse. I was pretty religious about rotating every 5,000 miles and keeping alignment good. Currently have BFG KO2's on my Jeep, which I love, but they are definitely heavy (31x10.5R15).

As your probably aware-Firestone has fixed the short comings of the LE 1. They are now the LE 2

I'm not so sure. I certainly wouldn't bet hundreds on it.

Wife's certified Odyssey came with new Destination LE2's. They have high white noise levels, aren't great in the rain (not horrible) but are wearing incredibly fast. With monthly tire pressure checks and 3 k rotations I bet we'll get 30k at most out of them.

When we replace them it will prob be whatever wins out amongst $150 per tire, fat rebate, great good reviews, mostly ignorant bad reviews, good test results on Tire Rack and available at my local Discount Tire. I'm thinking an American made tire from one of these guys: Goodyear, Nitto, Toyo, BFG or Continental.

You might find Toyo CTs slightly better in mud than the Nitto EXOs. Toyo just rolled out their AT III's. I have a set of their AT II in 285/75/18
(11.5x35). I havn't had them in snow yet, but they look like they should be ok. 235/65/17 AT IIs are on a 2014 Escape. It took some cutting and
grinding to get them to fit without rubbing.

My Trail Grapplers were 285 60 20. Replaced with Exo Grapplers in 35 11.5 20. The ability to buy a 35 tire NOT 12.5 wide is HUGE. It saved me a chunk of money and I had no rubbing with 11.5 but certainly would have in 12.5.

I'm not so sure. I certainly wouldn't bet hundreds on it.

Wife's certified Odyssey came with new Destination LE2's. They have high white noise levels, aren't great in the rain (not horrible) but are wearing incredibly fast. With monthly tire pressure checks and 3 k rotations I bet we'll get 30k at most out of them.

When we replace them it will prob be whatever wins out amongst $150 per tire, fat rebate, great good reviews, mostly ignorant bad reviews, good test results on Tire Rack and available at my local Discount Tire. I'm thinking an American made tire from one of these guys: Goodyear, Nitto, Toyo, BFG or Continental.

The Honda Odyssey is notoriously hard on tires. I think you will find no matter what tire you choose-they won't make it to the rated miles.

My Trail Grapplers were 285 60 20. Replaced with Exo Grapplers in 35 11.5 20. The ability to buy a 35 tire NOT 12.5 wide is HUGE. It saved me a chunk of money and I had no rubbing with 11.5 but certainly would have in 12.5.
An optional 11.5x35 is the 285/65/20 which has a little more air capacity from a slightly bigger case than the 35/11.50/20 EXO. The floater sizes typically have a smaller case volume, but more tread. Watch for F rated floater sizes, 80 psi instead of 65 in E rated. Toyo's CT in 35/12.50/20 F is one example.
In the last 4 years;
265/70/17 CT, 2016 GMC 2500 company truck
275/70/18 CT 2017 same
275/60/20 EXO 2013 GMC 1500 (Son's truck)
275/65/20 EXO 2018 Chev 3500 on my 2011 wheels (daughter's truck)
295/65/20 CT on Fuel 20x10 Cyclone wheels, 2011 GMC 2500 (mine) Tire & wheel = 125 lbs
295/55/20 EXO on 20x10 Fuel Cyclone wheels, trial fit on the 2018 3500, they rub, spring project. Tire & wheel= 128 lbs
285/75/18 toyo AT IIs on the stock 18x8" 2018 wheels. On my 2011 for now. The stock 18s from the 3500 are summer tires on the 1500.
235/65/17 Toyo AT II on 17x 8" wheels, 2014 Escape nanny mobile for driving my daughter's screamimg brats around in.

My SIL put 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX on his 2008 3500 Ram, 18x9" wheels

Last edited:
I'd suggest the LTX is the worst tire that I've ever owned, by far. Only tire that I've taken off early, and sold on Craigslist, as I had zero confidence in them.

Wow when you are wrong you really go for it. What’s it like being on the wrong side of history?

It is just one man’s opinion contradicting another man’s opinion. That has nothing to do with history or being on the wrong side of it. So hilarious.

Love my Toyo Celsius.. Got them my 2017 Elantra and 2019 SAnta Fe AWD...
+1 My parents wanted a single tire set for their Forester and I recommended the Celsius. They are quite happy with them in the snow and they are wearing at a slow rate. I tried a cheaper set of AT all weather tires on a 2006 CRV, the Hercules Terra Trac and they were pretty bad on the road, noisy, wore fast, not great in the wet or in winter... For the mild off roading you can do with a CRV they were pretty good upgrade over an all season tire but that didn't make up for its deficiencies in our usage pattern.

Wow when you are wrong you really go for it. What’s it like being on the wrong side of history?

Some of us happen to live in areas where tires need to perform well in all four seasons. Unlike in other mild weather areas of the country, such as California and Florida, where a mediocre tire will get the job done. Plenty of people here aren't brainwashed over Michelin tires.

If you do not agree with me, it is much easier to put me on ignore, than to waste everyone's time with your drivel.

Last edited:

I'll just re-post what I noted in the other thread so that everyone is aware of the Michelin-bash history baggage that comes along with this statement:

Sweet Jesus, do you have a notification set for LTX so that this can be shared every time a thread comes up? This gets posted in EVERY LTX thread. Every. Single. Thread.

BTW, curious what changed between this post by you in 2008:
mrsilv04 said:
I have a set of LTX M/S on my 2004 Silverado. Pricey, but definitely worth it. I'd buy them again without reservation. However, I'd be extremely cautious about any tire with Firestone stamped on the sidewall. Millions of tires recalled over the past 30 years, and yet another recall just a few weeks back. Remember the Explorer fiasco? Firestones.

This post by you in 2010:
mrsilv04 said:
The last set of Uniroyal tires that I had to suffer with performed like they were filled with pudding. No sidewall whatsoever. Consider the Michelin LTX2.

This post by you in 2013:
mrsilv04 said:
4 Michelin LTX's. Date code of 3207. Been on truck since 4807. No problems here.

To you in 2014 where the tires would have been seven years old:
mrsilv04 said:
Michelin LTX's completely went to heck as they aged (and actually contributed to an accident), but others will tell you that it is the best all-around tire on the planet, bar none. I don't know. My neighbor just dropped over a grand on a brand new set of LTX's, and he's not impressed at all with the traction, even when the tires are brand new. All I can say is that I'm not buying LTX's ever again, and I doubt that my neighbor will either.

Which has now morphed into this:
mrsilv04 said:
I read a bunch of tire reviews here on BITOG, as to how wonderful the Michelin LTX tire was.... month after month, year after year. After shelling out over $800 for a set... actual tire owner A found out they were, by far, the worst tire that I have ever owned. The only time in my life, that I've ever pulled off a set of tires at half tread, and sold them on Craigslist, because I couldn't take the overwhelming lack of wet/snow traction any longer. There's a difference right there. And then we have Random Commenter 722 (above) who comments about a tire because of "general consensus"... and apparently not because he's actually owned a set. By the way 722, I actually have a set of those "trashy" OE Goodyear tires on my truck, right now. There's a huge difference right there.

It's apparently been what, seven years since owning them, and you are now even more jaded than you were in 2014? Despite giving them glowing reviews from their 2007 install date through 2013.

In comparison, between my father and myself we've owned at least 5 sets of LTX's now ranging from the original LTX to the M/S2. LTX's will be what get put on my wife's truck when the OE Goodyear hockey pucks are done. Unlike your situation, our opinion didn't dramatically do a 180 after 7 years of ownership 🤷‍♂️

Addendum:
If the tires were installed in 2007 and by 2014, which is when I assume you took them off, 7 years had passed and they were only half worn and you were happy with them for 6 of those 7 years, do you not think it possible that the tires simply degraded due to a lack of use over such a substantial duration? Seems far more likely than them simply being garbage when your own words prior to whatever transpired in 2014 clearly don't support that being the case.

I suspect that sometime around 2014 you got in an accident and decided to blame the 6-7 year old tires and now you bash them whenever the opportunity presents. Over time you've become more and more invested in that narrative, which is why your slagging and criticism, despite not owning a set since, has evolved along the way, become more and more harsh as time goes on.

Last edited:
"I'd suggest the LTX is the worst tire that I've ever owned, by far. Only tire that I've taken off early, and sold on Craigslist, as I had zero confidence in them."

Thanks for all of your research, but nothing in that statement has changed. It still stands.

I guess I will have to start apologizing in advance for those who can't handle my experiences. Again, I'd suggest the "ignore" function as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back