"Fatman" with Mel Gibson

On Saturday, I watched a new (as opposed to vintage) movie, and a fun one: Fatman with Mel Gibson. Written and directed by the Nelms brothers, it's a hardboiled Christmas fantasy thriller, a Die Hard attitude meeting The Santa Clause and coming out ahead. Be aware that it is much more DH than the latter movie. There is humor, often dry *; there is real danger and gunplay (Gibson's "Chris Cringle" is a solid marksman with a 9mm). There is good world-building: The elves are simply pro workers and not cutesy, for instance, and we're told that they live much longer than humans because they eat 6 meals a day of simple carbs and sugar (!). Walton Goggins turns in a low-key performance as the hit man sent after Chris. It's a one-of-a-kind movie, and I think everybody should try it.

* Chris (after singlehandedly righting an enormous crate that 2 or 3 U.S. soldiers are struggling with): "Steroids."

Chris (when a govt. bureaucrat is startled by a nip from one of the reindeer): "Ah, that's Donner. Lucky it wasn't Blitzen. She'd tear your package clean off."

On Saturday, I watched a new (as opposed to vintage) movie, and a fun one: Fatman with Mel Gibson. Written and directed by the Nelms brothers, it's a hardboiled Christmas fantasy thriller, a Die Hard attitude meeting The Santa Clause and coming out ahead. Be aware that it is much more DH than the latter movie. There is humor, often dry *; there is real danger and gunplay (Gibson's "Chris Cringle" is a solid marksman with a 9mm). There is good world-building: The elves are simply pro workers and not cutesy, for instance, and we're told that they live much longer than humans because they eat 6 meals a day of simple carbs and sugar (!). Walton Goggins turns in a low-key performance as the hit man sent after Chris. It's a one-of-a-kind movie, and I think everybody should try it.

* Chris (after singlehandedly righting an enormous crate that 2 or 3 U.S. soldiers are struggling with): "Steroids."

Chris (when a govt. bureaucrat is startled by a nip from one of the reindeer): "Ah, that's Donner. Lucky it wasn't Blitzen. She'd tear your package clean off."
We enjoyed it.

Back