Fastest Piston Fighter Of WWII

I'm a big fan of WWII aircraft as well, thanks for sharing. Haven't gotten a chance to see the surviving Do 335 at Udvar-Hazy but would like to someday.
The Germans were so far ahead of their time.
This is a really interesting subject. They were in one sense - developing flying wings, early jet engines, guided bombs, etc with 40's technology is impressive - but they also lagged behind the US in some really important areas that ended up giving the allies an edge. While they were putting a lot of their resources (which were a lot more limited than ours!) into wild concepts like Ho 229s, AR 234s and Type XXI subs, we were churning out thousands of pieces of good, if not as cutting edge, equipment. Which was possible due to our incredible industrial base, itself a (very underappreciated) technological marvel to rival any V2 or Me 262. Not disagreeing with you one bit, I just think it's interesting how both sides used their time and resources very differently.

I'm a big fan of WWII aircraft as well, thanks for sharing. Haven't gotten a chance to see the surviving Do 335 at Udvar-Hazy but would like to someday.

This is a really interesting subject. They were in one sense - developing flying wings, early jet engines, guided bombs, etc with 40's technology is impressive - but they also lagged behind the US in some really important areas that ended up giving the allies an edge. While they were putting a lot of their resources (which were a lot more limited than ours!) into wild concepts like Ho 229s, AR 234s and Type XXI subs, we were churning out thousands of pieces of good, if not as cutting edge, equipment. Which was possible due to our incredible industrial base, itself a (very underappreciated) technological marvel to rival any V2 or Me 262. Not disagreeing with you one bit, I just think it's interesting how both sides used their time and resources very differently.
My grandfather (my mothers father) was a Munich graduate in 1927 with a Mechanical Engineer degree. He was taken into the SA/Brown Shirts which became the SS. He was used to help design/build tanks and other mechanized vehicles. He became a Panzer tank commander in the 2nd Division.

My grandfather (my mothers father) was a Munich graduate in 1927 with a Mechanical Engineer degree. He was taken into the SA/Brown Shirts which became the SS. He was used to help design/build tanks and other mechanized vehicles. He became a Panzer tank commander in the 2nd Division.
2nd Division - eastern front?

+1 Im no expert but many years ago I read a thick book on the Luftwaffe. Yes they had some breakthroughs but it was also described the the country's leader/s tended to Micro manage development and demand additional capabilities that made no sense to the war fighters at that moment. This led to delays that brought a little too little too late. The allied side focused on simpler sometimes less capable designs in massive numbers

+1 Im no expert but many years ago I read a thick book on the Luftwaffe. Yes they had some breakthroughs but it was also described the the country's leader/s tended to Micro manage development and demand additional capabilities that made no sense to the war fighters at that moment. This led to delays that brought a little too little too late. The allied side focused on simpler sometimes less capable designs in massive numbers
What do you mean? Requiring your heavy bomber (He 177) to also function as a dive bomber is a totally logical and not at all insane requirement ;)

Wow. Some very, very hairy places to be. What incredible fortune to make it through basically the entire war.
Yes, my grandfather lived to the age of 95. I visited him twice. He had kept every uniform, (side arm, rifle-he got these later from ?), daggers, knives, medals, rings, boots, etc. He also had A LOT of pictures.
My Uncle Jurgen is supposed to send most of the pictures to my dad. But, my dad is not doing too well and hasn't talked to him in weeks. My dad speaks German. I only know a few words. We are in the process of getting him into a nursing facility.
My dad met my mom when he was stationed in Germany 1958-1960. My mom was from Kitzingen, Germany.

Last edited:
Yes, my grandfather lived to the age of 95. I visited him twice. He had kept every uniform, (side arm, rifle-he got these later from ?), daggers, knives, medals, rings, boots, etc. He also had A LOT of pictures.
My Uncle Jurgen is supposed to send most of the pictures to my dad. But, my dad is not doing too well and hasn't talked to him in weeks. My dad speaks German. I only know a few words. We are in the process of getting him into a nursing facility.
My dad met my mom when he was stationed in Germany 1958-1960. My mom was from Kitzingen, Germany.
Sorry to hear about your dad - sending good vibes your way. If you don't mind me asking, what branch was he with?

Sorry to hear about your dad - sending good vibes your way. If you don't mind me asking, what branch was he with?
2rd Division Hell On Wheels. Then, they transferred him to Ft. Hood Kileen, TX. 2nd Division Hell On Wheels.
He was there until 1962. My older brother was born on the base in 1962. He and my mother moved to New Orleans and I was born 1964 in New Orleans.

Last edited:
Back