Fancy Stud Finder from Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
71y-VTXLv6L._SL1500_.jpg

Costco has this in blue color for $35. I resisted it for two week but finally gave in and purchased it. This is why I hate Costco. Costco makes me buy things which I really don't need it that badly :-( Half of the stuff I purchase from Costco I did not even knew I wanted it before seeing it there! I have had a perfectly working original old style stud finder (probably 15 years ago) but I got seduced by this with lots of blinking LEDs.

neat! How good is it? I have one that has an LED display that helps to center on studs. With the resolution of that many LEDs, can it tell you the full width of the studs beneath a series of LEDs?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
71y-VTXLv6L._SL1500_.jpg

Costco has this in blue color for $35. I resisted it for two week but finally gave in and purchased it. This is why I hate Costco. Costco makes me buy things which I really don't need it that badly :-( Half of the stuff I purchase from Costco I did not even knew I wanted it before seeing it there! I have had a perfectly working original old style stud finder (probably 15 years ago) but I got seduced by this with lots of blinking LEDs.

Don't worry Vikas you aren't the only costco shopper like that! Let us know if it works well. I saw that stud finder on Cool tools. I have zircon stud finder and it's ok, but the one you picture seems to be better since it can point out the entire width of the stud.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I saw this same stud finder last weekend, when shopping at the local Costco. It was very impressive, and I will probably buy one also. I was very impressed how the row of LED's show exactly where the stud is.

Actually, I went to Home Depot and Lowell and made sure that they did not sell anything similar at cheaper price than Costco. Although I am suspecting that Costco will likely put a coupon on it if it does not move this item.

That thing was impressive in the store. I have had trouble with the classic Zircon on my garage wall and it has been giving me inconsistent results. I will let you know if the new one pin points them easily.

By the way, Costco one is "Designed and Assembled in USA" for you guys who wants to keep their money from going to other countries. I opened it and it works great.

works great! My old Zircon had trouble finding studs in the garage but this one is capable of finding them all.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This is why I hate Costco. Costco makes me buy things which I really don't need it that badly :-( Half of the stuff I purchase from Costco I did not even knew I wanted it before seeing it there!

That's part of the Costco business model. They are designed to make the weak minded make fatuous purchases.

Interesting. I may have to check this out. I've had 2 (Zircon), and they are real flaky -- especially with exterior walls. I typically have better luck measuring vs. using them.

In all my years in construction this is one tool I refused to buy.

I knock on the wall. When you knock on a stud it sounds different. Then its either 16 or 24 inches to the next one.
Once you figure out the spacing your off to the races.
And they don't work on plaster and lathe walls.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
.....I knock on the wall. When you knock on a stud it sounds different. Then its either 16 or 24 inches to the next one.
Once you figure out the spacing your off to the races.

That's assuming the guy who framed the wall knew what he was doing. I've tried to guess that the next stud is 16 inches on center from the one I just hit. Then I used to drill a small hole 16 inches on center and hit nothing. Other times you run into studs sistered to one another (excuse me if I have the incorrect term), and this will tell you how thick the framing is.

Clevy if you can find a stud in any wall 100% of the time with your fists, then kudos to you. This tool is for the rest of us.

I was in Pittsburgh last week and picked this up at Costco.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

And they don't work on plaster and lathe walls.

They sure do, at least if you have the right one.

But I agree, a few knocks, a few drills, and a few chalk lines if you choose, and you're good to go.

But is there already a nail in the stud where I am looking to pound a nail? Seriously, are there nails in every stud? I thought drywall is not screwed to every stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back